R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-06-2003, 11:09 AM   #121
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to mtx3racer Send a message via AIM to mtx3racer

I like the one-ways, its faster around the track. I usually hug the corners if i am in the lead. If somebody is behind my coming up i will scoot over and they think they have the line and they just make it past and i cut back down and they don't even know what happened
mtx3racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 03:06 PM   #122
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

I would like advices on running front one way ... i have ugly experiences running front one way ... and the only time that i liked it was with rear diff ... but dont even close to the performance of front solid and rear diff ...

cya !

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 04:09 PM   #123
Tech Master

Well, rear solid axle coupled with a one-way is meant for large tracks with gobs of traction. If it doesn't work for you, don't use it.

I mean here, we almost all run dual diffs because our track is so tight that when it comes time to the mains, you'll get passed so often under braking that you have to go with dual diffs so you can keep your position. In qualifying, both drivetrain setups create similar qualifying results, but when it comes to the mains, its much easier to pass with dual diffs because you can outbrake the others and still keep them from passing you by blocking their line.

It all depends on your track, the other racers, your ability and your preference.

With a one-way, the best way to be fast, is to use the most consistant setup you can find.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 08:07 PM   #124
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Tabushi
I would like advices on running front one way ... i have ugly experiences running front one way ... and the only time that i liked it was with rear diff ... but dont even close to the performance of front solid and rear diff ...
I agree with what Im2lazy mentioned. This is what I found. If your track has very sharp hairpins at the end of the straights, maybe a few short and fast S chicanes where the car needs to transition left to right fast and when there's hardly any high speed sweepers, more high speed straights, the front solid or front diff combo would be good. If not, the one way simply carries more speed through the high speed corners or sweeper. I find that the one way does not scrub speed away and that the car is very stable when going fast in the sweepers.

Running one way front is tricky. They are more sensitive to the car's tweak. You need to make sure that your wheel distance (left and right tire sides) to the center of the chassis are equal. Your shock lengths and droops (especially rear) should be set equal too.

Contrary to what many people say, you can use brakes with a one way car. Just that it's not like the brakes you use with a full time 4WD car. You need to brake to slow the car down earlier to before taking a corner and brake only when the car is in a straight line and not when the car is cornering. You need to set the throttle / brake EPA that it would not lock up the rear wheels when braking. Set it just enough that it will slow the car down. When there is no tweak in the car, you car will brake in a straight line.

A one way front diff equipped car will usually have less rear droop set, harder front springs, thicker shock oil in front and harder tires in front. All this is to prevent excessive weight transfer to the front of the car during braking. You may also want to use a lot more caster angle in the front wheels as opposed to less caster (more steep) when using front diffs or solid fronts. More caster angle makes the car stable on the high speed straights and and takes out the twitchyness associated with using front one way. Hope that helps.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 11:25 PM   #125
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default understanding the one-way

Front differential one-way. This has the most dramatic effect on handling. These are generally best for high-bite surfaces with sweeping, high-speed turns. When entering a corner off throttle, the front drive spins freely and isn't affected by deceleration or braking. Under these conditions, the front tires have exceptional bite, and this results in maximum off-power steering. Conversely, only the rear tires are used for braking, thus reducing rear bite. These conditions, without the proper chassis setup and tire combination, could result in excessive off-power oversteer. The rear-wheel-only braking is what makes this type of one-way best suited to high-bite tracks. The car would simply take too long to slow down, or it would be too difficult to control on a low- to medium-bite track. It's something like yanking the parking brake on a full-size car; it doesn't slow the car really quickly, and its rear end wiggles all over the place. This is also why front one-ways are better suited to tracks that allow cars to carry higher speeds through the corners where rear-wheel-only braking is sufficient to scrub off enough speed to make the corner. The car can be driven with more of a rolling motion—coasting through the corners and smoothly accelerating on to the straights more like a pan car. Conversely, tracks with 2x4 barriers outlining a series of tight, low-speed corners require very hard braking to haul the car down to a safe cornering speed—not a strong point of a one-way system.
Under acceleration, a front one-way eliminates differential action. In a perfect world in which all the tires are perfectly stuck to the racing surface, this wouldn't have much of an effect on handling. What's more common, however, especially in high-speed turns, is that the diffs will unload in the direction of the inside tires and this bleeds off power that could be used for better drive out of the corners. A front one-way locks under power and delivers 100 percent of the power to the ground.
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 06:20 PM   #126
Tech Elite

Default 7th Race result.

The result was bad. My just can make 14laps againts 17 laps in 5 minutes done by good driver in that race. Why? Emm.. the main problem i faced is less traction. I can't push the car to maksimum its skate alot!
I believe it is mainly due to the tires selection. My 42/37 combo seem still have low traction on that rough parking lot track.

But on that day i witness a good driver that drive consistently, almost every tight corner he took it close to the apex and nail the corner. Go in slow and go out fast to the next corner. And most of the corner is a radius as 15" car tyres. I do have the movie pic on that but i don't know how to share it with you all. Probably there is free movie site storage that i can upload.. Tell me..

On thing about the guy driving is ( Which confuse me ..) He can full speed at the straight line and than close to apex of 180° corner of 15" tire radius. My confusion... 1. Is he release the throttle than roll and go in or Is he brake and than go in?

After that corner the next corner is quit short about 1.5 meter and again 180° cornering he still can accelerate to the corner and than slow in nail to the corner slow in fast out... amazing how he can do that ?.

If me I can go full throttle on the straight and than I release it earlier and control the speed by break as I corner and than If i pull the trigger to the next I will have to time to slow down before the next corner.. as the result I will skate /push away from the apex. Except if I go very slow maintain speed than release the throttle and slowy go into the corner. Again how he do that ?
Is he pull the trottle and immediately push the brake before the corner? Strange... .. As we know yes he look slow but he got among fastest lap on that day. HE use the prefect line.

The track as per attach..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg makrotrack.jpg (108.0 KB, 99 views)
esham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 04:05 AM   #127
Tech Elite

Old 08-04-2004, 04:16 AM   #128
Tech Elite

Default Re: 7th Race result.

Quote:
Originally posted by esham
The result was bad. My just can make 14laps againts 17 laps in 5 minutes done by good driver in that race. Why? Emm.. the main problem i faced is less traction. I can't push the car to maksimum its skate alot!
I believe it is mainly due to the tires selection. My 42/37 combo seem still have low traction on that rough parking lot track.
That track looked wet and rained on which means even when it is dry you'll have oil residue from the 1:1 scale cars "lifted" and therefore giving little traction. You should have gone down as low as 35R-35F or 35R-37F.

Quote:
But on that day i witness a good driver that drive consistently, almost every tight corner he took it close to the apex and nail the corner. Go in slow and go out fast to the next corner. And most of the corner is a radius as 15" car tyres. I do have the movie pic on that but i don't know how to share it with you all. Probably there is free movie site storage that i can upload.. Tell me..
Yes, at 3hobby.com Let me know the size of the file.

Quote:
On thing about the guy driving is ( Which confuse me ..) He can full speed at the straight line and than close to apex of 180° corner of 15" tire radius. My confusion... 1. Is he release the throttle than roll and go in or Is he brake and than go in?
Depends on whether he was using a diff or 1-way. I think he was probably using a diff which means he would have braked and then go into the corner.

Quote:
After that corner the next corner is quit short about 1.5 meter and again 180° cornering he still can accelerate to the corner and than slow in nail to the corner slow in fast out... amazing how he can do that ?.
There is a lot you can do, probably too much for me to write here but it's easy to do. Basically it is a combination of setting-testing-practising.

There is no easy or magical way out for that kind of driving. You need to have a good car, good radio, good engine, good set-up (both on the car AND the radio) and then test as well as practise.

Quote:
If me I can go full throttle on the straight and than I release it earlier and control the speed by break as I corner and than If i pull the trigger to the next I will have to time to slow down before the next corner.. as the result I will skate /push away from the apex. Except if I go very slow maintain speed than release the throttle and slowy go into the corner. Again how he do that ?
Is he pull the trottle and immediately push the brake before the corner? Strange... .. As we know yes he look slow but he got among fastest lap on that day. HE use the prefect line.

The track as per attach..
Look at the "Fast and Furious" video at 3hobby.com. It does not show you everything but it gives you an idea of how calm good drivers look BUT at the same time their fingers are very busy.

For your example, and looking at the track, you need to work the throttle a lot.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:23 PM   #129
Tech Elite

Thanks Sow&Steady, I believe that is Master Wong in action, yea.. they fast! Fast on their fingers but smooth on the steering.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:03 AM   #130
Tech Master

Default follow what CRASHED_1 did!!!

follow what Crashed_1 did...

when he race.... he asked somebody to take VIDEO of his racing... the WHOLE session..... just focus on his car.

after the race... he can do POST MORTEM.... to see how he run his car after that on the specific track.

he have 1 video... you can ask him to give you.... hehehehe.... look at his driving style....

CONSISTENCE RACING LINE lap after lap....

mop
mop_iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 03:49 AM   #131
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by esham
Thanks Sow&Steady, I believe that is Master Wong in action, yea.. they fast! Fast on their fingers but smooth on the steering.
Yes, that was Master Wong.

I don't know about others, for me, if the track is like the one in your picture, I will first set my clutch to engage QUICKER. No need to mod, no need to have so much punch. Unscrew the spring retainer nut bit by bit so that you get the car to move as soon as you touch throttle BUT when idle it is still free and not engaged.

I'll also run a front diff and I'll set my brakes to engage with short finger movements.

This is just my style. Seems good enough to go to A but never good enough to win!
Old 08-05-2004, 03:51 AM   #132
Tech Elite

Default Re: follow what CRASHED_1 did!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by mop_iko
follow what Crashed_1 did...

when he race.... he asked somebody to take VIDEO of his racing... the WHOLE session..... just focus on his car.

after the race... he can do POST MORTEM.... to see how he run his car after that on the specific track.

he have 1 video... you can ask him to give you.... hehehehe.... look at his driving style....

CONSISTENCE RACING LINE lap after lap....

mop
Yes Mop, consistency is the father of speed ... and the mother? Well, I'd say the driver ... or driving skill.