R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-08-2003, 07:02 PM   #91
Tech Master

I don't know hwo you could get it, but I bought 1400 zip ties for about 10-15$ at a local car parts store. Very nice and complete... Still haven't run out after a year .
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 04:00 AM   #92
Tech Elite

Is it common to appy break on every 180° corner ? And how about the punching ?
esham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 08:14 PM   #93
Tech Elite

Talking 5th Race experience for the beginner

Yesterday August 3rd 2003 participate in a Race for 5th time.
Before race, I setup my car and change to new belt.

Front
Diff Oil 30,000
Toe Out 2
Camber 1
Spring Kyosho Yellow Medium
Shock Oil 40wt

Rear
Diff Oil 7,000 LSD
Toe In 2
Camber 2
Spring Kyosho Orange Soft
Shock Oil 30wt

Change Belt
Check all my fasterner screw - Tighten
Check set screw - apply loctice were applicable

1st Heat - 5 minutes
Driving style novice maintain at the middle and enter corner safely, no crash smooth, but abit understeer probably the front diff oil 30,000wt is abit too much for my track. Straight line ok the engine work very well, High torque and good speed ( Rody Rome 5 port modified engine ). Finish with 18 laps!. Againts the top racer finish 19 laps

2nd Heat 5 minutes
Driving style novice maintain at the middle for a while than abit aggressive on cornering. Abit slide into corner and fast accelerate out of corner. Engine very well straight line. Is a "shark" ! Finish with 19 laps/20laps.

They annonce me qualified for A Main Final

A Main Final - 15 minutes
Before the final start , test run 1,2,3,4 laps suddenly somebody crash me from behind push me to a side and knock a track tyre. Damn ! Rear Floating bend, Shock joint damage. Put it part together and then start the race. First lap, Spur gear slip, Oneway bearing intermitten on. Not finish the race give up !
Notice the crash before that make my oneway bearing housing being push in. Anyway satisfy as manage to be in A Main among experience driver. Watch out ! I'm comming close!
Old 08-03-2003, 08:22 PM   #94
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

sounds like u had a lot of fun!!

congrats on that and your great qualifying experience
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 08:15 PM   #95
Tech Elite

Default The 7th race for me on Sunday

Hi all, This coming Sunday 7th December 2003 I will participate for 7th race. And I still tuning my car setup because I still not feel comfortable with my car behaviour in taking a corner.

My current setup make my car drag / slide too long into corner ( "L" corner ). It is a habit of me or maybe my style rushing into corner and aggressively full turn my radio steering in taking "L corner" as a result the car will slide into corner but this time is too long ! . Please refer to my drawing attach.. I want to setup my car as the "green car" travel and currently my car react as the "white car".

Plan adjustment
1. Tires - current setup is 42/40 , Plan to chance it to 40/37 the idea is more grip, less slide push .. perhaps its work..)
2. Rear toe in - current setup is 2° toe in, Plan to chance it to 3° the idea is to increase the slip angle, more grip and less slide push.

Emm..anymore suggestion or idea guys???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cornering.jpg (28.3 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by esham; 12-03-2003 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:26 PM   #96
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

esham, stay with the 42 fronts and go to the 37 rears.

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 08:29 PM   #97
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

and I also like the lite blue front springs with grey rears, it gives the rear a little steer to take up what front push I have.

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 08:33 PM   #98
Tech Regular

Along with the springs mentioned above, I'd also try thicker shock oil. Your car appears to be transferring weight too quickly. If you still have 40wt front and 30wt rear, I'd jump up to 60wt front/50wt rear and I believe you'll see a noticeable difference.
KMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 08:42 PM   #99
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by KMac
If you still have 40wt front and 30wt rear, I'd jump up to 60wt front/50wt rear and I believe you'll see a noticeable difference.
Yes, agreed.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 08:56 PM   #100
Tech Master

Default Re: The 7th race for me on Sunday

[QUOTE]Originally posted by esham
[B]Hi all, This coming Sunday 7th December 2003 I will participate for 7th race. And I still tuning my car setup because I still not feel comfortable with my car behaviour in taking a corner.

well instead of adjusting your set up for on corner, why not try a different line into the corner. the way you have you drawing it looks like you are piching the car into the turn, try instead running the on the right side of the lane and hitting the apexs of the corners "ak" straighting out the turn. the less you have to turn the wheel the less speed that you scrub off.
drfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 02:09 AM   #101
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: The 7th race for me on Sunday

[QUOTE]Originally posted by drfritz
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by esham
Hi all, This coming Sunday 7th December 2003 I will participate for 7th race. And I still tuning my car setup because I still not feel comfortable with my car behaviour in taking a corner.

well instead of adjusting your set up for on corner, why not try a different line into the corner. the way you have you drawing it looks like you are piching the car into the turn, try instead running the on the right side of the lane and hitting the apexs of the corners "ak" straighting out the turn. the less you have to turn the wheel the less speed that you scrub off.
Yea.. I wish that I can do that .. actualy the track is quit narrow and the distance between the apex is quit distance apart. Yup .. understand your suggestion..thanks..

Regarding the shock oil and the spring, the way i see it is if Prof D already it on this matter .. I take it TQ
Old 12-04-2003, 05:18 AM   #102
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by theRED5

Another pro I know says he never lets off the throttle fully, he rides the trigger through a turn...thats really hard to do...

Oh, and the best advice I ever got, was squeeeeezzzzzzeee that trigger (off the turn) don't yank it back to full throttle...Slow down, you'll prolly go faster
i don't agree with you bout the first thing i quoted, i have 95% of the corners with throttle!

second: i fully agree!
-Nitrohead- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 06:44 PM   #103
Tech Elite

Default Caster effect

Hi just to straight up my mind about caster setting.
Is it correct concept on what I understand about caster is -
More caster will make your car to have more camber during cornering which will reduce the front tire contact to the ground and make the car less steering..? Is this thought correct?
Old 12-04-2003, 07:44 PM   #104
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Caster effect

Quote:
Originally posted by esham
Hi just to straight up my mind about caster setting.
Is it correct concept on what I understand about caster is -
More caster will make your car to have more camber during cornering which will reduce the front tire contact to the ground and make the car less steering..? Is this thought correct?
For a good and clear explanation of caster, you can read this here.

However, note that how tight you set the rear diff and caster angle of the front wheels will work hand in hand. Quoted from Michael Salven himself...

With more caster the inside rear wheel will lift more, when you turn the wheels. Because of that effect you actually gain steering (or loose rear traction). On the other hand you have less front rubber touching the surface because the inside wheel will run more on it's edge.

If you gain steering or not with more caster may depend on your diff settings. If you run a tight diff or solid rear axle, you will gain steering on and off throttle, because the lifted inside rear wheel will help the car to turn. With an open diff you don't need to lift the inside wheel, in that case the car may turn better with more front rubber on the street, which means less caster.

InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 09:52 PM   #105
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Caster effect

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD

With more caster the inside rear wheel will lift more, when you turn the wheels. Because of that effect you actually gain steering (or loose rear traction). On the other hand you have less front rubber touching the surface because the inside wheel will run more on it's edge.

If you gain steering or not with more caster may depend on your diff settings. If you run a tight diff or solid rear axle, you will gain steering on and off throttle, because the lifted inside rear wheel will help the car to turn. With an open diff you don't need to lift the inside wheel, in that case the car may turn better with more front rubber on the street, which means less caster.
D, Ive been trying that... both combination. Both is better for on throttle and not notice any difference in off throttle. But, maybe Im just a beginner too..
For better initial turn in (off throtle), harder rear stabilizer is still better option.

Just my 2 cents.
GoldFinger is offline   Reply With Quote