R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-11-2003, 08:18 PM   #76
Tech Elite

Talking 3rd Race experience for the beginner

OK Guys, yesterday weekend - Sunday I participated in a RC race for the 3rd times. Always fun for an experience!

Before the race day, night before I change my head shrink from 9 layer to 11 layer - Nova Rossi cooling head. So On 1st Heat I thought I can lean the engine abit more I lean it.. 1-7 lap very fast until .. 9 lap full throttle the car slow down and than stall. Temp check 317F. Tried to restart and richen the setting could not manage Time off

So before second heat I turn the high needle abit richer and low neddle abit richer but not manage to test it as my radio has been keep by the marshall ( as to avoid freq clashes) SO no time to test the new setting. Once my turn for second heat they directly start the heat without give us warm up.. My engine now run with alot fuel too rich bloping and bad idle low to mid throttle. Hit by other car and my car straight away stall. A few times happen only manage to make 16 laps over the highers 20 laps. And for A,B,C Main minimum is 17-18 laps so still no chance for me this time either. Next time son..
esham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 08:36 PM   #77
Tech Adept

Default My debut race

Hi esham,
I also participated the race but in novice group. Qualified 6th in novice A main and finished 6th in final.

Word of advise. Don't ever major change or tune your engine on race day. It leads you to disater.

See you in next race.
patricktoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 08:39 PM   #78
Tech Elite

Default The on/off switch

Ooo... about my on/off switch, To about the swith from accidently turn off during heat as I had before, I cut a small piece of my fuel tube and slot it in the switch !! So it will always on except if the tube came off.. but everthing seem working until now..! ( It just a quick fix prevention )
Old 05-11-2003, 08:48 PM   #79
Tech Elite

Default Re: My debut race

Quote:
Originally posted by patricktoh
Hi esham,
I also participated the race but in novice group. Qualified 6th in novice A main and finished 6th in final.

Word of advise. Don't ever major change or tune your engine on race day. It leads you to disater.

See you in next race.
Ya.. Patricktoh, yes u right. Next time I really need to ensure all my setting is ok at least a day before the race day. Should not tweaking, turning on last minute ..

Congratulate Patrick .. be in A main group.. It is really something especially like me want to be in as an achievement.
Old 05-11-2003, 09:51 PM   #80
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by Im2lazy
This better work!
\

Im2lazy

Thankz alot....

But what abt. if the linkage get loose from the carb ? the throttle return spring attach to the servo serve no purpose at all..... am I right ???
CS Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 11:53 PM   #81
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by CS Lo
\

Im2lazy

Thankz alot....

But what abt. if the linkage get loose from the carb ? the throttle return spring attach to the servo serve no purpose at all..... am I right ???
True, but my linkage is so tight on the carb that it takes me about 3 minutes to pry it off with a needle nose plier! I won't worry about mine coming off.

If you are really worried, and if you have a slide carb, get a small hair band and wrap it around the carb. This looks better than rubber bands.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 12:58 AM   #82
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
This better work!
where did you get those small springs?
RClover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 01:18 AM   #83
Tech Master

They come from
Quote:
If you use the Losi kit, it comes with 2 Springs and Brackets
Losi's throttle return spring kit.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:49 PM   #84
Tech Elite

Talking My driving improved

Get ready for the next race. My driving is improved from beginner to novice I could say.. More less important is my car setup can suit on my driving style. I got good pick up gear combination, good tuning, alignment I think that about it. Hope in next race no silly mistake..
Old 06-04-2003, 09:42 AM   #85
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi
Default Re: 180 Cornering technique

Quote:
Originally posted by esham
180 Degree cornering after a straight speed line required me to brake on the staright line before corner and than make a turn. But how is my punching should be ( rev). I notice if I punch /rev frequently during cornering the car tend to turn/spin abit sharp compaare with long punch on the corner. Which is better? Or effective way ?
For me the best its to open a lot the race-line and go deep to the inside of the corner ...

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 08:33 PM   #86
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: 180 Cornering technique

Quote:
Originally posted by Tabushi
For me the best its to open a lot the race-line and go deep to the inside of the corner ...
Recently I did test afew driving sytle and yes I should agree that to takle this 180 there is afew work for me.
1. As Tabushi said - To open a lot the race-line and go deep to the inside of the corner
2. Sharp cornering - turn and punch - the car slide
Old 06-05-2003, 08:37 PM   #87
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: 180 Cornering technique

Quote:
Originally posted by esham
Recently I did test afew driving sytle and yes I should agree that to takle this 180 there is afew work for me.
1. As Tabushi said - To open a lot the race-line and go deep to the inside of the corner
2. Sharp cornering - turn and punch - the car slide
Manage to get the photo of the corner
This is the corner I'm talking about
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 180corner.jpg (57.8 KB, 129 views)
Old 07-06-2003, 08:39 PM   #88
Tech Elite

Ok Race report for an experience. Yesterday 6/7/2003 was the race day. The day before I manage to change my MTX3 engine- RB Rody Rome to my tank V1RR/M1RR. I decide to still run V1RR as MTX3 is brand new to me and I not have enough practice with that kid.
1st Heat ! - 5 minutes, my driving condition is novice. The track grip is average ( abit slide) Foam tyres. 10 laps consistent flowing and than suddently my gear slip - the first gear slip... Intermitten on and off, Start to loose control hit the boarder, the body shell pins fall off! Body shell flow and my car look like sailing boat just manage to complete 16 laps!

Check the car tought that due to untighten screw of the spur shaft, so tighten it, change the body clip to bigger clip ( transponder clip ) and tight with cable tie- total secure! ( anybody know other alternative of this ?

2nd Heat ! , Secure body clip seem work pretty well, but the intermitten 1st gear slip is still there ! quit frusteted with that... Other no problem only manage to make 15 laps.!

Lucky manage to joint C Main with that 16 laps! from the 1st heat. So before the final C main I checked again the gearing system, spot the 1st gear one way bearing is cause the problem... replace it.

C main Final - Body clip still function well, the gear slip is gone!
Driving novice... yeah 3rd place ! What a start for beginners! Sooooo happy.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:08 PM   #89
Tech Master

Always make sure your first-speed oneway is always cleaned and lubricated if it gives you problems. I personally only find that a blast of motorspray after every one or two race weekends keeps it healthy. There is just about nothing else beside the clutch that could have caused your problem... good that you learned what it was.

Finishing a race without running into any problems is something that some of us more experienced racers forget... I never lasted a complete 5 minute race for a couple of weeks , when I first started out.

For the body clip question... I either use Zip (cable) ties which will never come off, or I might use a slightly longer body post (maybe 2 or 3 holes visible onc ethe body is on it) then put a body clip so that it is a hole or two above the body... When the body clip is too near the body, it can get squeezed out. Also, your body must be trimmed properly so that the body floats up and down the body post.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:59 PM   #90
Tech Elite

Quote:
Always make sure your first-speed oneway is always cleaned and lubricated if it gives you problems. I personally only find that a blast of motorspray after every one or two race weekends keeps it healthy. There is just about nothing else beside the clutch that could have caused your problem... good that you learned what it was.

Finishing a race without running into any problems is something that some of us more experienced racers forget... I never lasted a complete 5 minute race for a couple of weeks , when I first started out.

For the body clip question... I either use Zip (cable) ties which will never come off, or I might use a slightly longer body post (maybe 2 or 3 holes visible onc ethe body is on it) then put a body clip so that it is a hole or two above the body... When the body clip is too near the body, it can get squeezed out. Also, your body must be trimmed properly so that the body floats up and down the body post.
Thanks, Yeah I learned through hard time on race day! Emm... right that I not really "lubricate" the one way bearing... Now I know what will be happen
Seem like zipping the body clip will be my must do list on the race day. Only one thing cons about this everytime after the heat I have to cut it then.. Bunch of cable tie have to be in stock!