R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #61
Tech Elite

Things to try

raise rear roll center
glue front tires on the ouside
do not round the edges of the front tires
take out caster in the front (push the arms more foward)
remove some rear camber gain

DJ Apolaro
Old 07-20-2008, 09:44 PM   #62
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Well, race was today, and for our luck, the A main was at almost 6-7pm which meant cold track and very very high grip. I had some traction roll when I started but that was because I came out 63-65mm (1 hour race, needed the whole tire). I did the following:

-Went harder springs all around
-Used upstops on front with the credit card like someone said earlier
-raised the front arms to the top (roll center)
-Switched from a 100k diff to a solid-axle
-moved the shocks towards the top hole

After doing all of this the car had alot of traction roll still... was at the warm up of the A main, so I disconnected the front anti-roll bar, and the car didnt traction roll as much.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:00 AM   #63
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riketsu View Post
Well, race was today, and for our luck, the A main was at almost 6-7pm which meant cold track and very very high grip. I had some traction roll when I started but that was because I came out 63-65mm (1 hour race, needed the whole tire). I did the following:

After doing all of this the car had alot of traction roll still... was at the warm up of the A main, so I disconnected the front anti-roll bar, and the car didnt traction roll as much.

Maybe I set differently than yours to minimize traction roll

- standard springs OR one grade softer springs
- one grade heavier damper oil than normally use
- lowest position for front upper arms
- 2.5 degree front camber in.
- harder compound tires
- lowest ride height without grounding.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:58 AM   #64
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Read this: http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/sho...p?file_id=3577
Starting on page 29, the only time in this book that Hudy talks about traction roll is when he is talking about roll center.

MINO Racing
JetMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:19 AM   #65
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMD View Post
Read this: http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/sho...p?file_id=3577
Starting on page 29, the only time in this book that Hudy talks about traction roll is when he is talking about roll center.
I read those pages couple of times...... still, no absolute solution for eliminating traction roll by just changing roll center alone.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:33 AM   #66
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riketsu View Post

Since the traction roll in the center and coming out you have to try different things. The things you tried only hurt you for the most part. I always take off the front sway bar when I have roll problems. I know that goes against what most people think, but for my driving style that is a big help. I think the car likes to be softer. Maybe it is different in electric, not sure, but I have done a lot of trial and error with traction roll and usually have not real problems any more. With the front sway bar off try what I said above and it will help. You have too much contact pach of foam to the ground on power. You can also take away front camber. Along with the other things I mentioned.

DJ Apolaro
Old 07-21-2008, 09:22 AM   #67
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj apolaro View Post
Since the traction roll in the center and coming out you have to try different things. The things you tried only hurt you for the most part. I always take off the front sway bar when I have roll problems. I know that goes against what most people think, but for my driving style that is a big help. I think the car likes to be softer. Maybe it is different in electric, not sure, but I have done a lot of trial and error with traction roll and usually have not real problems any more. With the front sway bar off try what I said above and it will help. You have too much contact pach of foam to the ground on power. You can also take away front camber. Along with the other things I mentioned.

DJ Apolaro
Thanks DJ... Next race I'll try a softer shock setup than stock...
Old 07-21-2008, 05:56 PM   #68
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576 View Post
I read those pages couple of times...... still, no absolute solution for eliminating traction roll by just changing roll center alone.
That is true. Especially if you're not sure exactly when it is happening. But, i've found that if harder tires don't fix it, this is the next best thing to mess with.

MINO Racing
JetMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:25 AM   #69
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

This is a great thread.....Traction Roll, how to deal with?

The recent Byron On Road race...the late B-main and the A-main TC, I am sure everyone have to deal with traction rolling problem. Track was going thru rain, then sun, the cloudy and cool....all within the 2 hours "Main" running period...

I think most of us already covered HOW to setup your car with traction rolling...but, I think I should mention 1 thing....the run time. The reason I am saying that is...on our 5 minutes practice to our 10 minutes qualifier times, we were hardly experience traction rolling. I do not believe the track was not sticky enough to create traction rolling, I believe, the TIME that your tires were using actually caused the traction rolling...

My experience was....I have my rolling center set LOW (pin up high) to prevent traction roll, sway bar was off, 1 step harder springs, small tires (57mm) and it is 1 step harder (42S instead of 40S)...I don't have traction rolling problem untill like 15 minutes after the race or so...

I have observed the A-main as well.......no one has traction rolling problem untill like 1/2 way in the main or so....there were racers that decided NOT to race because the car can rolling in corner with 5mph speed and take forever to use a lap without rolling..

What I am trying to say is...concern about the LENGHT of your race and setup your car accordingly.....your car MIGHT be slow at the beginning, but for 45 minutes or even 1 hour main...only the car can finish the race WIN.

Also...the wider front width of the car DOES help to prevent traction rolling. I have a quick fix (lazy fix but not sure it can handle 1 hour main)....narrower front tire (yeah, cut to 24mm)....harder foam, true a 45 degree edge, can CA them....however, GOOD LUCK turning your car, you willl need a lot of BRAKE and a lot of turning on your radios' wheel.

My 03 cents...
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:09 AM   #70
Tech Rookie

so witch one is it stiffer or softer
coldside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #71
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldside View Post
so witch one is it stiffer or softer
In my experience when you have a traction roll issue, you need to make the car softer all around. The you need to play with roll center positions depending on what part of the turn you have traction roll.

DJ Apolaro
Old 10-10-2012, 11:49 PM   #72
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Ahem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsquish View Post
If anyone wants to experance traction rolling and you are in the eastern US, come to the Great Lakes Challenge in OH. 1/8 scale usually start traction rolling by the first day of heats.............
I'm a club member of Toledo, I do a lot of running there, and have NEVER traction rolled. And at the GLC this year I rarely saw anyone do it, and don't recall any of the 1/8 cars doing it. Three degrees tilt in on the back, two on the front (basically the Mugen setup for the worlds last year) and have never had any traction issues of any sort.
hitcharide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:32 AM   #73
Tech Addict

Yet to experience traction roll, but never been to a big enough event for the grip to come up enough to experience traction roll.

We have the EFRA 1/8 Euro at my club in 2013, so might try the track after the event to see what the traction is like.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #74
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Uh oh

I did traction roll the other day, but it was with a new pair of shoes in my kitchen. I adjusted the camber in my ankles and as soon as the shore degrades in my soles I should have that problem fixed.
hitcharide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #75
Tech Master

tell the track owner to stop spraing so much....
YLLIB is offline   Reply With Quote