R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-13-2003, 05:44 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Kit Building Tips

Hi, I recently i'm going to buy HPI RS4 3 SS kit. what are some general tips for building car kit?? some in specifically related to SS????

thanx in advance.
btw, i'm firm with SS purchase. so please do not suggest other car type, but general building tips will be welcome.
tjrcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 10:09 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to V-One S

Read the instructions thoroughly as u r building.
Do not try and beat the world record for quickest build

use a white sheet on a table so u can find all your small parts quick.

Have the correct tools

and keep it in an area that no one will touch.
V-One S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 10:41 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to RedScorp Send a message via AIM to RedScorp Send a message via Yahoo to RedScorp
Default Re: Kit Building Tips

I usually read the instructions through once before even opening any bags. Then I go through the manual and assemble everything as normal.

Don't rush into getting it done. As you're assembling check for bind. When you assemble hinge pins into arms and anything that rubs together check to make sure it's free of bind. If it's not, then take whatever steps are necessary on those parts to free it up. Your car will perform much better with out binding problems.

Follow the instructions exactly as they say. Once you have the car assembled and have run it a few times, then you should have a feel for how it handles. Then you should start talking to others, and researching things to do to improve handling. Once you have done that, get used to the car before you jump in and spend oodles of money hopping it up. Keep in mind most of the items out on the market for these cars are to make it look pretty. They don't actually help your car's performance or handling, sometimes they actually hinder it.

When you start hopping your car up remember that in every function of the car, something in that specific function should remain a weak point. Like this, some people upgrade their diff. cases on the NTC3 to aluminum which actually appears to be a good purchase. Aluminum acts as a heat sink for the gears inside as well as adding rigidity to the car. However, people also purchase aluminum shock towers to go with those diff. cases. Now this is actually a very bad thing. If that person were to get hit and something needed to break it wouldn't be able to if it were aluminum. The part would most likely do one of two things.

a. it would tweak and may throw off the entire tweak of the car and you wouldn't see it really to fix it. Thus you've wasted 20 bucks on something that could have been prevented if the plastic or carbon shock tower was used.

b. the part would get so bent it would tweak the screws holding it together and force you to buy a new diff case AND a new shock tower.

Everything needs a breaking point. It's better to have something not look as pretty that is still functional and serves it's purpose than to have something look pretty that could easily be a significant waste of money.

Quote:
Originally posted by tjrcs
Hi, I recently i'm going to buy HPI RS4 3 SS kit. what are some general tips for building car kit?? some in specifically related to SS????

thanx in advance.
btw, i'm firm with SS purchase. so please do not suggest other car type, but general building tips will be welcome.
RedScorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 11:18 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: Kit Building Tips

Quote:
Originally posted by RedScorp

Everything needs a breaking point. It's better to have something not look as pretty that is still functional and serves it's purpose than to have something look pretty that could easily be a significant waste of money.
yup yup~ i agree. reading the instruction thoroughly is important. hmm... icic hopefully, it'll be delivered sometime in next week. thanx guys.

what are weak parts on HPI RS4 3 SS??
tjrcs is offline   Reply With Quote