R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-08-2007, 03:45 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Angry problem with engine

hi im sorta a noob but really hoping i dont need a new engine

i built a little rc car with my uncle bout 5 years back and just pulled it out from the back of the garage 5ish days ago. its a simple car that he bought and im not sure the engine size but all it says on it is "15 FE nitro star"

anyway i clean up the engine best i could and today i actually got it to fire up and run. need less to say it ran like crap but would go to full power. will i worked on getting the battary back to stay in its little holder with zip ties and took her back out. she works

however it will not go up to full power. i can rev it up and it will act like its going to go to full power but dies and doesnt come close and just goes down to if i were barely hold the accelerator.

i tried playing with the carb a bit but still wont go to full power.

so basically i dont know if just 4 years of sitting around screwed the engine and she's cooked and wont ever get up to full speed or if their is something i can look at and fix/adjust.

Last edited by longlive289s; 05-08-2007 at 04:00 PM.
longlive289s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:00 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

You should be fine, just sounds like your tunings out, richen it up a bit and let more fuel through (turn HSN counter clockwise), if still having trouble take off the carb and take it all apart and clean all the jets with nitro cleaner and or air line, and then reset all the needles back to factory settings...look on HPI.com and no, its not 15 hp....lol, if only...more like 0.4bhp.

Good luck.
supermoto552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:19 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

thanks. i cleaned the engine but not the carb....couldnt reach the screw, muffler was in the way. i was adjusting the carb a bit but no dice. ya i was lookin on the sites and noticed some of the higher engines were still doing only 3.5hp or so....whoops. man tho you guys really get into this stuff $350 for an engine....damn
Old 05-08-2007, 06:37 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlive289s
thanks. i cleaned the engine but not the carb....couldnt reach the screw, muffler was in the way. i was adjusting the carb a bit but no dice. ya i was lookin on the sites and noticed some of the higher engines were still doing only 3.5hp or so....whoops. man tho you guys really get into this stuff $350 for an engine....damn
$350 is the very low end of on-road engines. Most of the better ones start at $550 not modded for .21 engines.
THE DOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:32 PM   #5

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

In reality these motors are just braking 1hp. There are many exaggerated claims out there. You need to look up some engine tuning books. These motors are very picky about tune, not in a bad way there very easy to mess with. If it sounds like it wont go full rpm , its either got a loaded gurgling sound or a hollow popping gurgle , like strangling a duck.

Play with the settings , youll find it.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:32 PM   #6
Tech Regular

long live 260s 302bosses 351c & w
and you say you have an FE ? that could be a 332 352 360 390 or even a 427 side oiler.
427 COBRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:50 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 COBRA
long live 260s 302bosses 351c & w
and you say you have an FE ? that could be a 332 352 360 390 or even a 427 side oiler.
I think you forgot the baby 221's (5 bolt Windsor)
Personally I prefer flatties

Hey if the motor has been sitting for 5 years how's the compression?
ShrekNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:27 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

well i cleaned up the carb a bit and took the engine apart and what i figured happened (upon lookin at the engine) is that the carb was all gunked up and it just started firing this gunk into the cylinder cuz it was a mess.

cleaned that up and the carb course now its really messed up

i can get it to run (1/20 tries) and it will run but will not respond to throttle at all. engine doesn speed up at all. i took off the air cleaner and can see the throttle opening and plenty of gas was going in (it was getting all over the carb) . i looked up the hpi guide to tuning the carb but still no dice. 2 1/2 turns for the needle valve, bout 1 1/2 for throttle stop. but didnt really mess with the mixture control. im guessing the throttle stop is off. im just resting my fingers for now.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:25 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Factory settings aren't always right, but your going in the right direction....paintence and perceverence are the key, hell i've just pulled my inferno out to play, and the little sod wouldn't start well, and thats on a starter box, feel sorry for you and a pull start, ouch!

If it feels like its firing, then it will more than likely start and run ok was set up, just a case of trial and error, and remember how many turns your moving so that you can out it back if not right....both needles need to be balanced near for it to start, try open the low speed up a little to richen, the screw in the end of carb where servo attach's.

Try turning the engine over by the flywheel by hand, easy it easy to turn over, i.e lost compression? if its fairly tight, ya ok...if slack and really easy chance are it wont run right and you'll need a new piston and cyl (may as well buy new engine if thats the case.)
Old 05-09-2007, 02:32 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

well it will turn over and run, thats not the problem. when it does im just not getting any power. i sounds like its idling fine but i have no throttle repose and it wont move ne where. ill hit the gas and watch the throttle open when its running when i take the air cleaner off but it wont gain much power at all.

when i was rebuilding it their is a nut that goes on the back plate that hooks up to the puller. when i put it back togeather it was rotating and not moving the piston and i swear i put it face up so i knew which way it went on. i turned it upside down and that was able to get the piston going. im wondering if i happen to put the car into basically in reverse, the fly wheel, if your looking at the rear of the engine (puller, back plate etc) is rotating left to right, that correct?
Old 05-09-2007, 02:42 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Not sure if you can put it on backwards...prob not, put if its firing and able to start running then you've got it right and thats not the problem, it wont start backwards...i found out the hard on my started box, got the wires the wrong way around and it wouldn't start for beans, lol!

Just looked at the intructions for your engine, theres only one main needle and idle nothing else so ignore what i said before...try turning your main needle quarter turn clock wise to lean, sounds like you've got too much fuel going in...(does it sound really gurgly and horible?) Keep goin turning it clockwise till you get it to pick up and rev, oh....have the car on a plank of wood while ya trying and wheels of ground, if tuning way of it'll neva move, will just bog and stall.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:59 PM   #12
Tech Rookie

i think their are 3 actually cuz their is the mixture control on the throttle cable that goes into the carb too

i was lookin at this site
http://www.hpiracing.com/index2.htm

edit: never mind that screw just holds the lever on

edit #2

appears i may have annihilated the glow plug from keeping the glow plug ignitor on it so long and the fact that its still the original. i had checked it before and it looked fine and ran but im out of ideas of what it could b

Last edited by longlive289s; 05-09-2007 at 03:23 PM.