R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-06-2007, 02:32 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Beginner to RC - Kyosho or HPI...

Hey how's it goin?

I'm a beginner to RC, but am choosing between the Kyosho FWO-15T and the HPI RS4 EVO 3.

Both RTR, both a little under $300. I'm gonna be moddin it with other shells/performance parts later down the road.

Any suggestions on cars/parts would be great. Thanks!
QUICK2LeaveYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:46 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICK2LeaveYou
Hey how's it goin?

I'm a beginner to RC, but am choosing between the Kyosho FWO-15T and the HPI RS4 EVO 3.

Both RTR, both a little under $300. I'm gonna be moddin it with other shells/performance parts later down the road.

Any suggestions on cars/parts would be great. Thanks!
I would say look around at your LHS, what car so they stock parts for? There's nothing like breaking something and not being able to get parts. In my area, and in general, HPI parts are easy to get.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:37 PM   #3
Tech Regular

I personally prefer Kyosho stuff. HPI's are very good cars, but its rare to see one running.. this happen in my area, don't know why. I thing they're better in off-road scene ..
Parts easiness is very important. You should consider parts assistence from you LHS.
I would say the FW05T has more "gap" to upgrade.. you should also look at Plus edition
jeff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:34 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Alright, i've been looking for both of them, the Kyosho FW-05T and the HPI RS4 EVO 3, and it's really going to come down to which i can get for cheaper. I'm not worried about the shell right now, cause they all look great and i can replace that later.

I'm also looking for the package deals on both of them, to see which of those are cheaper.

The Kyosho FW-05T Package Deal on Hobbytron.com is $279.99 but they say it's not in stock when i add it to the cart.

Anyone know anywhere i can get either that are IN STOCK?
Old 05-07-2007, 06:37 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Get the car that's not going to be discontinued in two weeks.. easier to get replacement parts. Parts break on these cars, and you don't want to be stuck with a discontinued car you can't find parts for. Usually if you can't find the car easily on websites it is or is going to be discontinued very soon.

Also, don't go to small webstores just because they have the lowest price if you are going the web route. Smaller the store, greater your chance of getting ripped off or having poor customer service. Order from a big company like towerhobbies (their coupons are pretty good..) or horizon hobby. If anything goes wrong with your order, these people make it right. Oh yeah, compare shipping prices too. The site may sell you a car cheap, but they may hit you with a ridiculous shipping and 'handling' fee.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:39 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Well, my local hobby shop stocks mostly HPI parts and hardly any Kyosho (and only the little stuff)

I searched around online for a couple days looking for the best price, and i found some just slightly cheaper than others but the sites looked shadier and shadier.

I went ahead and got the HPI Nitro RS4 3 EVO+ RTR w/ the Acura NSX body from TowerHobbies.com (boy do i change my mind alot!)

The total was $309.00 (w/o the shipping added and coupon placed) It is currently on backorder, though

Price too high? I saw on HobbyTron they had the Kyosho FW-05T RTR for around $229.99 (on back order as well)

I'm also looking for a Nitro Starter kit since i will still need the other extras to get her running
Old 05-07-2007, 09:41 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Like this

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVZ08&P=7
Old 05-07-2007, 09:48 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
Well, my local hobby shop stocks mostly HPI parts and hardly any Kyosho (and only the little stuff)

I searched around online for a couple days looking for the best price, and i found some just slightly cheaper than others but the sites looked shadier and shadier.

I went ahead and got the HPI Nitro RS4 3 EVO+ RTR w/ the Acura NSX body from TowerHobbies.com (boy do i change my mind alot!)

The total was $309.00 (w/o the shipping added and coupon placed) It is currently on backorder, though

Price too high? I saw on HobbyTron they had the Kyosho FW-05T RTR for around $229.99 (on back order as well)

I'm also looking for a Nitro Starter kit since i will still need the other extras to get her running

yourb hobby shop is not going to be very helpful when you tell them you got a car from Tower.
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:19 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

Thanks Tim W. thats what i was looking for

I'm confused on what you mean, Fastharry
Old 05-08-2007, 01:48 AM   #10
Tech Adept

http://www.shopkyosho.com/product/pr...2290.829.0.0.0

bit late now but I take it you live in the states? then you can buy directly from kyosho america, I would imagine they have stock and they carry all the parts. Kyosho is supposed to be doing a big push for your usa dollars. Quality cars the Kyosho and the FW is a great car to start entry level racing and you can easily upgrade with 05RR parts as your experience level improves.
Anyway the Hpi should be still a good car so enjoy it.
stevenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:34 AM   #11
Tech Rookie

Reply to stevenc Thanks for the tip i checked out the site and placed an order with them; the other HPI is on Backorder so i can cancel anytime.

Let's see how they both work out
Old 05-08-2007, 06:00 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
Thanks Tim W. thats what i was looking for

I'm confused on what you mean, Fastharry

you're a beginner to RC...you are going to have a ton of questions......When the hobby shop sees that you bought your car from tower,instead of them,there might be a small issue there of them not wanting to give you free service....
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:40 PM   #13
Tech Regular

I see no problem if he buy parts from his LHS having a car from another store. The shop owner will be happy in this case too
jeff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:04 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to va_connoisseur

I agree with Fast. If you go into your LHS and they know you got the car from an online retailer, chances are they will give you a cold shoulder. Not saying they won't help you, just don't look for them to go out of their way.

It's maybe too late now but I am just curious as to why go to the Tower if you have a LHS that sales HPI? Kind of a slap in the face to the people you will eventually ask for help, isn't it? IMO
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:46 PM   #15
Tech Rookie

Ahhh okay I see what you guys are saying.

Yeah i don't understand why but those guys at the shop i went to acted like they didn't wan't to help me cause it seemed like a waste of time, jeez. Sorry you can't move your product

There are other smaller shops around, though, and that's where forums/online shops are around to help