Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Problem with serpent engine monoblocks >

Problem with serpent engine monoblocks

Problem with serpent engine monoblocks

Reply

Old 05-04-2007, 09:50 AM
  #1  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 81
Problem with serpent engine monoblocks

Hi, i have a Serpent 960 and the LCG chassis+monoblock set.
The problem is that the pinions can't be perfectly aligned with the spur gears (they are too far back). The first gear spur is about 1mm further out than the pinions and i can't position the engine further out.

When browsing the serpent forums i noticed there are 2 monoblocks, the picco/mega one (#903194) and a general one (#903201). Apparently the LCG set comes with the Picco one. Is this the problem ? Or is it supposed to be this way (weird) ?

I can't be the only one with this problem... i think
Storm_PT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:54 AM
  #2  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 81
Default

Just remembered, i tried with the engine blocks that came with the car and the problem is the same, so maybe its supposed to work that way. Or the problem is the chassis ?
Storm_PT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:10 AM
  #3  
Tech Elite
 
nigelnuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Artesia, SoCal.
Posts: 2,187
Default

What motor is being used?
nigelnuggets is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:48 AM
  #4  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 81
Default

Originally Posted by nigelnuggets
What motor is being used?
Previously i had a Novamega SX-21 Evo5 KHM in it. Now i have a LC21 AAC (Sirio based) and the problem is the same.
Storm_PT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:50 PM
  #5  
Tech Master
iTrader: (13)
 
SRAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 1,050
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Storm_PT
Hi, i have a Serpent 960 and the LCG chassis+monoblock set.
The problem is that the pinions can't be perfectly aligned with the spur gears (they are too far back). The first gear spur is about 1mm further out than the pinions and i can't position the engine further out.

When browsing the serpent forums i noticed there are 2 monoblocks, the picco/mega one (#903194) and a general one (#903201). Apparently the LCG set comes with the Picco one. Is this the problem ? Or is it supposed to be this way (weird) ?

I can't be the only one with this problem... i think

I have a 960 also and have had this problem since day one. I have both Sirio and Nova Rossi and they both won't line up no matter what I do. I have tried filing the engine mount holes in the chassis as well as the engine mounts(both stock and monoblock) and neither have resolved this problem. Really disappointed with Serpent on a few things with this car.
SRAD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:07 PM
  #6  
Tech Master
 
Taylorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Monclova, Ohio
Posts: 1,655
Default

-i have a 960 and pinions/spurs line up perfectly....i can move my motor 1-2 mm further out than needed.........maybe chassis machined wrong?
Taylorm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:03 PM
  #7  
Tech Master
 
captian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,832
Default

Originally Posted by Storm_PT
Hi, i have a Serpent 960 and the LCG chassis+monoblock set.
The problem is that the pinions can't be perfectly aligned with the spur gears (they are too far back). The first gear spur is about 1mm further out than the pinions and i can't position the engine further out.

When browsing the serpent forums i noticed there are 2 monoblocks, the picco/mega one (#903194) and a general one (#903201). Apparently the LCG set comes with the Picco one. Is this the problem ? Or is it supposed to be this way (weird) ?

I can't be the only one with this problem... i think
be easy guys i used this on the car and it fix it for me
serpent part 1017 hex flanged
captian is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:03 PM
  #8  
Tech Master
 
captian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,832
Default

Originally Posted by SRAD
I have a 960 also and have had this problem since day one. I have both Sirio and Nova Rossi and they both won't line up no matter what I do. I have tried filing the engine mount holes in the chassis as well as the engine mounts(both stock and monoblock) and neither have resolved this problem. Really disappointed with Serpent on a few things with this car.
this part works with no mods done serpent part 1017 hex flanged
captian is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:07 PM
  #9  
Tech Master
 
captian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,832
Default

srad its a great car get the screws for the engine mount and have fun
captian is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:11 PM
  #10  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 81
Default

Hmm, but aren't "Screws engine mount + flange (4) (#1017)" the same as the screws that come with the monoblock "Mono block M21 LCG (#903194)" (just a different color) ?

If yes, then i'm already using those screws.
Storm_PT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:12 PM
  #11  
Tech Master
 
captian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,832
Default

here's a pic http://www.serpent.com/product/1017/
captian is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:19 PM
  #12  
Tech Master
 
captian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,832
Default

Originally Posted by Storm_PT
Hmm, but aren't "Screws engine mount + flange (4) (#1017)" the same as the screws that come with the monoblock "Mono block M21 LCG (#903194)" (just a different color) ?

If yes, then i'm already using those screws.
yes you are right sorry i use the silver ones and did not have a problem with either engine mount .
captian is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:37 PM
  #13  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Kennesaw, GA
Posts: 304
Default

Mine match up well with the LCG Chassis and Novarossi motor. It can also be in the clutch build. If I remember correctly, the new directions omit the 0.5mm washer behind the flywheel/crank brass engine cone. The question I would ask is how many spacers do you use between the thrust bearing and end cap (technical term) :-) If it's quite a few, then how close would it line up if you didn't need so many? That shim between the motor bearing and cone before the flywheel helps take the additional spacers out between thrust bearing and "end cap"... Which may help you line up your pinion and spur.
Darint is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:40 AM
  #14  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 81
Default

Actually i thought it might be a problem with my clutch too. I'll redo it and then post back the results.
Storm_PT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:17 AM
  #15  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 81
Default

Hmm, apparently it can be pretty much fixed by putting a 0.5mm shim before the cone. Unfortunately i have a broken thrust bearing so the real test will have to wait till i replace it.
Storm_PT is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service