R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-10-2003, 07:30 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Attitude on the Racetrack...?

Ok R/C racers,...What's your attitude on the racetrack?

Let me give you an example...

As I stated before, I was just a "parking-lot basher" until I raced for the first time last Saturday . Now, I know that when I put my car on the track, it is subject to be punished. I tried not to crash into other cars and cause them to be damaged. At the same time, I don't want my car to sustain any damage. However, I think that being too careful on the track cost me several posistions and quite possibly even a win.

I don't want to be known as a "hacker". ...someone that just don't care about thier driving "etiquette" and hacks or bashes thier way to the front of the pack. I want to race cleanly and with a sportsman-like attitude. The last thing that I want to do is take a win after I've smashed up a car that was ahead of me.

So tell me...

What's your attitude when you put your car on the track...?

I know that accidents are usually unavoidable, but where do you draw the line between an accidental collision, and just plain bashing?

Let me give you another example...

Saturday, my friend Brian and I were watching the Pro-Gas racers. (Man, those guys can DRIVE!) Anyway, about halfway through the race, Brian leans over to me and says, "Did you see that?" I said, "No,...what?" He said, "Keep your eye on the two red cars that are out front." So, I started watching the two red cars. One of the cars was leading the race while the other car smashed every car that would pose a threat to the leading car! I couldn't believe it! One car was literally blocking for the other car! I said, "That's downright dirty driving!" We watched as the two drivers "chit-chatted" amongst themselves and laughed as they went on to take first and second place.

Where's the sportsmanship...? Where's the fun...? To me, that's not what R/C racin' is all about. Guys like that give the sport a bad name.
Donnie-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 07:41 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Ya know.....that actually gives me an idea........what about RC Car team racing??? 3 vs 3.......rules set up so no huge amount of damage is done......you have to get a combo of 10 or less to win.....set mark traps, pass backs, walks.....all sorts of fun moves......If youve ever Team Raced in sailing......you know what im talkin about

but until that is a reality.........no, that kinda driving has no place on a racetrack
Nytrochaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 07:49 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to RedScorp Send a message via AIM to RedScorp Send a message via Yahoo to RedScorp

Well, as you said accidents happen and most of the come at the worst times. I drive as cleanly as my talent allows me. I don't hack, but more often then not out of my own competitiveness I clip a dot or so. Hitting someone is going to happen, and you get better the more you race. Your field of vision expands so you see more and you learn how to control your car to avoid situations.

Regarding the second piece to your post, I don't care if 2nd place blocks for first...that's racing, but there's no need to block with full contact, rubbing is racing but if it's deliberate contact to keep other cars away then IMO the race director should have black flagged him and taken him off the track. But then again they are "PRO" guys so I guess they get some leniency.
RedScorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 08:00 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Well, it was definitely deliberate contact. But, they were so smoothe about it that I didn't even notice it until Brian brought it to my attention. "Pros" my butt,...I say they're pro-hackers! I think it's a bunch of crap. I know what you're sayin'... rubbin' IS racin'... but that's what I would call demolition!
Donnie-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 08:56 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Default Racing or Hacking

Donnie-D;

What you described was deliberate, so it would be Hacking. I would consider an Accident as NON-intensional.

I used to have a problem with a Guy that every-time I passed him, he would overshoot the next corner to take me out. It became obvious when it happened 4 times in one race. What I did was to becomes Friends with him. Now we both look out for each other and will call traffic to help each other out (no more hacking).

Let me say this about "Deliberate" contact. Accidents DO happen! I will usually try to avoid contact, as you can take yourself out by hitting another car. However back-markers, if you move off line and leave an opening or make a mistake in front of me, I'm pushing through!
This is racing, just like the full size Touring Cars.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 10:36 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to nizee
Default Patience and Control your temper

One thing i learn very much is be patience and learn how to control your temper during the race. Once you get temper control your driving, you don't drive well...
Just my 2 cents worth.
nizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 01:26 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I had a similiar situation as Popsracer. I would pass this certain racer, he would come charging up after me and take me out in the next turn. He did this couple of times. The next time I passed him and he came up after, I went wide, slowed down and let him pass. He took him self out in the next turn. He caught on after a few times.
Most of the racers who do hack are usually beginners, they don't hack intentionally and the ones who hack purposely can't stand to loose.
Sometimes if a racer hacks too much, intentionally or not, gets a warning from the race annoucer here.
RoyU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 05:53 PM   #8
Tech Master

Donnie-D,
Don't be too worried about being a hack. As long as people know that when you are behind their car, you're going to try get past it. If you touch, it's just racing toy cars, and try apologize and keep going. Sometimes I find myself getting too anxious at certain points in a race so the next time out, I try to slow it down so as to avoid contact. I.E., I remeber in one day, at the start of 2 races, I connected with other cars. The next time I went out, I purposely setup way outside and just played follow-the-leader for maybe half a lap.

As long as you show that you are trying to improve yourself, no one is going to think stink about you because racing can be rough.

Oh yeah, that team racing stuff shouldn't be allowed during a regular race. If it's clean, I really wouldn't mind, but once it gets dirty, that is the line that shouldn't be crossed.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 06:06 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

I have the problem to get really nervous during races and start shaking, anybody know a good way to help stay more calm. the shaking doesnt really help the driving.
Nitromatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 06:09 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to RedScorp Send a message via AIM to RedScorp Send a message via Yahoo to RedScorp

Quote:
Originally posted by Nitromatt
I have the problem to get really nervous during races and start shaking, anybody know a good way to help stay more calm. the shaking doesnt really help the driving.
I'm sure Boomer will come and reply to this one. =) He's known to shake an entire drivers stand. Not out of being nervous but just being excited.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:14 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

it probally has to do with that too being excited, and being nervous, I have had people complain about that too shaking the whole stand. Has been reinforced so now it does not happen. like when its only my friends on the track I have way better times.
Nitromatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 06:16 PM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Nitromatt
I remember being like that.

I'd say some practice before the qualifiers and mains would be good. Also, don't forget to breathe, and make sure you blink your eyes (trust me, when you race, you don't always do this).
A good stance is always helpful. If you can, rest your arms on the railing of the driver's stand. Before the start, it might be good to just lay your radio down, shake your arms and legs (like those Olympic skaters and swimmers) and when you feel relaxed, pick up the transmitter and get ready to race.

If in the middle of the race, you start to get all shaky, just slow down a little, and if someone is following you close, just let 'em pass.

That should (hopefully) help. It works for me when ever things get too tense.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 06:19 PM   #13
Tech Regular

i saw a 'team' type thing at my track... i was coming first and i was coming up to a back marker who had just crashed... his friend was following me and we were having a good battle for the lead... when this car was put back on the track it was right in front of me... i had no where to go, he held me back while his friend passed me.... i was so pissed... he blocked me for the remaining laps... it was weak... he had no chance at gaining a position but he still insisted on getting in my way so i couldnt go and have a crack at the lead...
mitch179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 07:19 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Im2lazy
If you can, rest your arms on the railing of the driver's stand.
It's not really recommended to rest like that while driving. It can and most often does affect your driving. I'm not sure exactly how but I have always been told not to. Maybe something about slowing your reaction...not really sure.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:20 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to simonfdr

Wow, that sounds so F'd up. next time bring a gun =)
simonfdr is offline   Reply With Quote