R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-09-2003, 05:10 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Pull start VS. Starter Box

i am researching engines for my next buy , and i noticed that all the ones im looking at need a starter box . the Orion turbo, the trinity sirio , the sts. all need a starter box, so now i have to look into new engines. Im looking at Fantom .12s and thats about all im really seeing right now. but what i really want to know is , is it worth getting a starter box when all i do is drive around parking lots ? and a lot of the time i have to walk to where i am going to drive, so i dont want to be carrying a big huge starter box. so can anyone recommend me a really fast pull start engine . other than the fantoms, and if the fantom is slow, please tell me . im looking for about 1.4 or 1.5 hp thanks ... car is a HPI supernitro if that affects decisions .. much appreciated.
Supernitro17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 05:22 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to RedScorp Send a message via AIM to RedScorp Send a message via Yahoo to RedScorp

I could be wrong but I don't think you'll find many motors that run 1.4 or 1.5 HP that are pull start. For many people, we ditch the pull start if we can and go with a starter box, but it's really up to personal preference. If you're just foolin around in a parking lot and not racing I'm not entirely sure what your need is for a motor pushing that much HP.

As a rule of thumb, starter box beats pull start.
RedScorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 08:56 PM   #3
Tech Master

Just a starter box, and you will love it in the long run. Starting is no longer a problem or a concern. A starter box is innumerably times better than pulling a cord to start an engine (IMO).
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 09:37 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I agree, it will be hard to find an engine with 1.4-1.5 hp with a pull start. When you have a starter box, starting is much easier. You shoudl think about the O.S. .15 CV-R. It has MASSIVE torque and is perfect for the super since it is a heavier car.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:18 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

ok one more question , im actually starting to lean a little toward a star box... how much do they weigh ? and is it possible to get one for less than 80 bucks ?
Old 04-10-2003, 06:34 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

also , why do you recommend the .15, i have heard everywhere that the .12 is faster and better . or is this just something people say ? i know my car is a little bigger and a little heavier, so i would like to have some good torque, but i would also like to hit the 60-65 mph range . maybe 70. could i do this with a .15 ?
Old 04-10-2003, 07:46 AM   #7
Tech Adept

for that......your lookin at a lotta cash money.....70 will only happen in my opinion with a big block .21 conversion and some gearing. but if you do want to try it......stay away from the OS and get one of the NovaMega line of .15 engines
Nytrochaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 12:12 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I think ofna make a starter box with a 12V gel cell for abotu 80 bucks. Usually .15s will have better torque, but .12s will have better rpm. It's kind of the same with supercross bike. 125cc rev a bit higher than the 250cc, but they don;t have as much torque. I have had personal experiences with this motor as well. When it is tuned correctly it is very fast, and very torquy. The reason why I said the O.S. is they are a drop in motor. You could hit 70 if you have it geared tall enough....maybe. The Nove rossi/nova mega line of .15 are big blocks. You will have to get a big block conversion and that will drop you back another 80 bucks or so. Plus you will have to REALLY beef up your drivetrain for the big blocks. The .15 CV-R also comes in a pull start version as well. I think they even came out with a .15 CV-R Turbo plug version.
Old 04-10-2003, 03:50 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

how much bigger will the novas be then my nitro star .15 ?
Old 04-10-2003, 06:00 PM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Supernitro17
how much bigger will the novas be then my nitro star .15 ?
If your talking about nytrochaos' suggestion of a novamega .15 (or similarly produced novarossi's), then it would be a big-block motor. You would need to convert your car with a big-block conversion in order to accept them, but you would have a lot of power. I think that there is little reason to be pushing 70 mph because that is plainly too fast for a parking lot. You've got to stop somehow, and if you try to push 70, expect bad things to eventually happen.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote