R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-29-2007, 01:30 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default V-one RRR or FW-05RR

Well I'm a newbie to the R?C world. I cannot decide which car to purchase, so i'd like your opinion.

I want a reliable, low maintenance, easy to work on car.

I will be running it on a fairly large track. I'm not a good driver so needing a lot of speed won't be needed, and I will be all over the place.

I pretty much want a high quality car, don't want to do many upgrades, and want to be able to drive it more then fixing it.

V-one RRR or FW-05RR? Or something else?
sniady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniady
Well I'm a newbie to the R?C world. I cannot decide which car to purchase, so i'd like your opinion.

I want a reliable, low maintenance, easy to work on car.

I will be running it on a fairly large track. I'm not a good driver so needing a lot of speed won't be needed, and I will be all over the place.

I pretty much want a high quality car, don't want to do many upgrades, and want to be able to drive it more then fixing it.

V-one RRR or FW-05RR? Or something else?
V-One RRR is a higher end car. When you progress and get better this car will allow you to grow into it much more. I also prefer Belt driven cars which the V-One is.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:10 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

I've noticed the belt driven is preferred over the shaft driven, why?
sniady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:40 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Easier maintenance and engine placement...easier to add aftermarket headers and pipes. The Fuel tank is centered in a belt car. On a shaft car the fuel tank is offset to allow the driveshaft to pass through the center. This allows the car to be more balanced. In addition to this maintenance is easier with a belt car. Belts are easy to replace and easy to clean around.

Also on a shaft driven car there is a certain amount of torque steer. Under load the car will want to drift one way or the other or tend to have more steering in one direction vs the other.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:43 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Default Easy answer, from a FW-05RR driver !

Very easy to answer this one, if you drive a high speed circuit, go for the V-oneRRR, for short circuits, with a lot of curves, go for the FW05RR.

For maintenance both cars are about the same, but FW05RR needs several (expensive) upgrades (steel gears are one for example), but after that it's maintenance free if you don't break anything. The V-oneRRR (evo or WRC) is straight out of the box ready to rock !

So I would go for the V-oneRRR in your case...

Look for the Ninja engine for the V-one, the high rpm's makes it the ultimate engine for these cars ! You won't believe the top speed you're will be getting.
snoebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:11 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

all cars need to be worked on whether your chasing that perfect setup or just cleaning it up after a raceday. i found that if you regularly work on the car and replace worn-out parts, you can have a realatively trouble free run.
i suggest you get the v-one rrr evo wce. it is the latest kit and won't need any upgrades to make it race worthy.

Hamilton 2008 F1 champion!
twiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:40 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoebel
Very easy to answer this one, if you drive a high speed circuit, go for the V-oneRRR, for short circuits, with a lot of curves, go for the FW05RR.

For maintenance both cars are about the same, but FW05RR needs several (expensive) upgrades (steel gears are one for example), but after that it's maintenance free if you don't break anything. The V-oneRRR (evo or WRC) is straight out of the box ready to rock !

So I would go for the V-oneRRR in your case...

Look for the Ninja engine for the V-one, the high rpm's makes it the ultimate engine for these cars ! You won't believe the top speed you're will be getting.
I'd save money and get a JL Picco Red Dot for under $190.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:41 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Between the two, I'd go got the V one; have you ever tried to replace a stripped gear on the FW? The V one is way easier to maintain. But to be honest, I wouldn't go for either. Get an MTX4 or 3, or maybe serpent?
bozla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:04 AM   #9
Tech Regular

I've ran the FW05R then RR for 3 yrs. Never stripped a spur. This is a very reliable car in that sence. I changed to RRR due to a break issue, if not it would still be my car of choice.

havy
havy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:51 AM   #10
Tech Adept

I am running Fw 05 and love the shaft drive and love the car but would have to say its much easier to find parts and hop ups for the Vone RRR series great example is exhaust systems ..very hard to find high quality systems for right side setup compared to the left of the Vone and Mugens etc. LHS dont seem to carry parts for FW but most places will stock Vone parts from what I have seen .
stevenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 01:06 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Very true, not the case where I live, you have to have spares on you for the RRR too. But having raced the FW05 for so long, I was practically my own hobby shop, constantly stocking up spares from HK. Never had probs w/ that for that same reason. The car is really good if you get ready for the season ahead of time, you should be ok w/this car.

I'm in the process of stocking up on my RRR right now due to the same prob as the FW05. Either way, they are definitely both good cars. I have just decided to run the RRR now. Try the belts and learn a little more.

havy
havy is offline   Reply With Quote