R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-27-2009, 09:35 PM   #1276
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarryN

Quote:
Originally Posted by garen View Post
no, but i can shoot some and post them here. is there anything specific you want to see?
Actually, I want to see Arno's car more, since his setup is going to reflect mine a lot. However, one thing I am changing from the standard setup is the spacers on the bottom arm. I stuck the thinner ones front and rear of the bottom front arms, instead of one fat in the back and one thin in the front (longer wheelbase). The two thinner ones will give me a standard wheel base, though slightly closer, which would be prime for 301 Raceway. 301 Raceway is a very technical track. I may have to shrink the wheelbase some more. But I will see when I start driving the car.

The other question I have is what kind of shock springs were used? The ones provided in the kit? Something else? How many holes in the piston did you use front and rear? Kit manual pistons or different setup?

My car is NEARING COMPLETION!! I got the parts in today and picked up where I left off. I will post pictures when I can. My arms front and rear did not require any sanding or shaving at all. Everything was fitting together nicely with no gaps at all. I think I was lucky with my kit. But we'll see. Usually when kits assemble nicely for me, the car ends up having massive problems when driving!
Cars For Sale: FG 08-530 EVO w/ Sport Brakes!
Track(s): http://www.rctrack.com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:43 PM   #1277
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Here you go Harry

Old 04-28-2009, 12:57 PM   #1278
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to entitymugenmtx

That's a nice one lollll
Old 04-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #1279
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
Actually, I want to see Arno's car more, since his setup is going to reflect mine a lot. However, one thing I am changing from the standard setup is the spacers on the bottom arm. I stuck the thinner ones front and rear of the bottom front arms, instead of one fat in the back and one thin in the front (longer wheelbase). The two thinner ones will give me a standard wheel base, though slightly closer, which would be prime for 301 Raceway. 301 Raceway is a very technical track. I may have to shrink the wheelbase some more. But I will see when I start driving the car.

The other question I have is what kind of shock springs were used? The ones provided in the kit? Something else? How many holes in the piston did you use front and rear? Kit manual pistons or different setup?

My car is NEARING COMPLETION!! I got the parts in today and picked up where I left off. I will post pictures when I can. My arms front and rear did not require any sanding or shaving at all. Everything was fitting together nicely with no gaps at all. I think I was lucky with my kit. But we'll see. Usually when kits assemble nicely for me, the car ends up having massive problems when driving!
Harry (and everyone else), you can only install 2 thin spacers on the front lower arms or 1 thick spacer, not 1 thick and 1 thin, regardless if they go in front of or behind the arm. I built my car with the medium wheelbase setting and the car was good. The last change I made to the car in Vegas was to go to the short wheelbase and it made the car rotate much better and I could hold throttle much better in the sweepers.

Kit pistons used, as described in the manual. Kit springs also used. We nearly always used stiffer springs on the old car (2 or 3 steps harder) but on the new car the stock springs work just fine so far. Build the car exactly as described in the manual and go from there. My guess is you will make changes similar to the ones we made so far.

I will get a setup sheet filled out and posted here and on the website and as soon as I get a setup for Crystal Park, which I am told is similar in layout to 301 but smaller, I will post that too.

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store

Last edited by garen; 04-28-2009 at 02:13 PM.
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:07 PM   #1280
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by garen View Post
Harry (and everyone else), you can only install 2 thin spacers on the front lower arms or 1 thick spacer, not 1 thick and 1 thin, regardless if they go in front of or behind the arm. I built my car with the medium wheelbase setting and the car was good. The last change I made to the car in Vegas was to go to the short wheelbase and it made the car rotate much better and I could hold throttle much better in the sweepers.

Kit pistons used, as described in the manual. Kit springs also used. We nearly always used stiffer springs on the old car (2 or 3 steps harder) but on the new car the stock springs work just fine so far. Build the car exactly as described in the manual and go from there. My guess is you will changes similar to the ones we made so far.

I will get a setup sheet filled out and posted here and on the website and as soon as I get a setup for Crystal Park, which I am told is similar in layout to 301 but smaller, I will post that too.
You rule Garen and Arno! Thanks!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 02:36 PM   #1281
Tech Master

You are welcome, but Arno rules, he is the man! I think you will like his setup very much.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:15 PM   #1282
Tech Master

I had left out the mounting position of the Xytec body on my car. The body is mounted 25mm in front of the bumper, measured at the middle of the bumper to the front of the body.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #1283
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to gary47
Default P81

Great looking car looks like a winner clean looking set- up also
gary47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:08 PM   #1284
Tech Rookie

Hi I have a few questions if garen or arno could answer I would appreciate it.

So by puting rear sway bar links in the inner hole what have you felt?? the rear more or less planted??

also by raising rear lower arms what did you felt also??

Thanks in advance.

Here in Europe we donīt use any kind of aditives on the asfalt so for me the car is perfect with 35 shore tyres but with 37 the rear is a little loose coming out of corners....
DrFink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #1285
Tech Master

Yes, the manual setup is better for Europe where the tracks are not treated with traction additives.
Raising the rear lower arms raises the rear roll center. In laymen's terms raising the rear lower arms takes away rear grip and generally allows the car to rotate better.
Moving the sway bar link closer to the chassis (inner hole on arm) 'softens' the sway bar, increasing rear grip. I also slid the ball studs that hold the linkage to the sway bar forward which stiffens the sway bar. This is why I said my setup may not make much sense, but the car worked good and I did not have the chance to try the middle or outer holes.
For my next race I will move the linkage to the middle position and slide the ball studs back out and start there.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:56 AM   #1286
Tech Rookie

Thanks for you kind reply garen, I will try in the inner hole and then I will post results.

For now Iīm using almost the standard setup except in the rear that for now is like this:

Rear Camber 3 degrees
Rear Toe in 3 degrees
Mugen White springs

I liked more the mugen springs although they seem equal the way they respond is a little different and I liked more....I have to get the front ones too to see how the car feels.
DrFink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:36 AM   #1287
Tech Elite

Speaking of Arno... where is Hovik??

He has been very quiet, which is a shocker.

Hey Garen, quick question for you on your setup. Arno, feel free to jump in as well. On the rear end, can you show me the sway bar setup? I noticed in your building tips, you said that the sway bar may bind on the bulkhead in the back. It doesn't feel like it is for me, but then again, I may have installed it wrong.

Another question, on the front end, how do you have the front sway and downstops set? Do you have up and close pictures?

Shoragaletyun!
Old 04-29-2009, 11:29 AM   #1288
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
Speaking of Arno... where is Hovik??

He has been very quiet, which is a shocker.

Hey Garen, quick question for you on your setup. Arno, feel free to jump in as well. On the rear end, can you show me the sway bar setup? I noticed in your building tips, you said that the sway bar may bind on the bulkhead in the back. It doesn't feel like it is for me, but then again, I may have installed it wrong.

Another question, on the front end, how do you have the front sway and downstops set? Do you have up and close pictures?

Shoragaletyun!
Sleeping! still tired from vegas

you missed out Harry it was pretty fun...

VIP Auto Group Inc.
VIPMOTORSPORTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #1289
Tech Master

Harry, take an x-acto and cut the corners of the upper plate, you only need to cut a tiny bit of material- see photo below:

How do I have the front sway bar and downstops set? When you build the car, install the sway bars but push them in all the way so they don't connect when the arms are installed on the car. Install the downstop (ds) set screws as shown in the manual. Place the car on your Hudy block (or Integy or whatever) and adjust the set screws so that the droop setting is as shown on the setup sheet. Once you do that, slide the blades back into place, tighten the set screws that secure them, and re-measure the droop, and if one side is off, rotate the eccentric on the front lower left arm to balance things out.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:37 PM   #1290
Tech Master

Grind off the back of the bumper so you can access the front body mount posts:

I installed the rear graphite chassis insert to stiffen the rear and add a little weight to the car:

My car was under weight so I added some weights in the front:

Short front wheelbase: