R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-28-2008, 01:30 PM   #841
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Congrats to Dario Balestri for placing 5th at the Euros. A bit of luck (or lack of bad luck) and he would have won or placed on the podium, but that's racing. His P8.0R 08 was definitely consitent all through practice, qualifying, semi's and the main.

I was at the GLARCRC race, and tried a new setup and I am very happy with the result. The main event did not go to plan, but my lap times were pretty quick and I look forward to the next one. I'll post the setup on motonica-usa.com this week.

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:39 AM   #842
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Hey Garen,

It was so close this EC Final, Ielasi was very quick and was more than a lap in front but due to little mistakes and a dead receiver battery in the last lap he crashed and didn't finish.
Balestri however mist the start was a lap down and than began an impressive recovery, in the end, 2 minutes to go, he was in 3rd behind Vuga, than he passed him and was in 2nd, 8 sec behind the struggling Ielasi.
When Ielasi crashed, Balestri only had to finish, it was the last lap, but he ran out of fuel a couple of metres before the finish, if only........................
The top three where also within 2 seconds!
Almost a Motonica European Champion, but they showed a lot of improvement, very concistant laptimes, in the and even the fastest.
I'm curious what the outcome will be with the prototype rear-end they used overthere.
It will be very strange if they would't change it because the car was much easier to drive and still very fast and stable.
So go Motonica
stefanmotonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:56 AM   #843
Tech Apprentice

Here some other statistics:

The top 35 in qualifying where within 10 seconds.
Puccinelli ended in the quarter final in 26th place and Solaroli ended 38th when he finished his quarter after 9 minutes, i don't now what happened.
Collari ended in the semi in 23th place, after 4 minutes his front belt broke but his pace was also slow and he was than in 9th position, so i doubt he would have made the final anyway.
And last, there where no Kyosho's in the final, they have a lot of problems with the M3 to find the race-pace in hot and high grip conditions overthere in Valencia.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:19 PM   #844
Tech Master

Yes, very close to the win, but that's racing and I am sure there are no excuses from the driver or team. I think making the final (and making the final at the last Worlds) and coming from a lap+ down to be in contention at the end shows that the car is very good.

Here is my setup from this weekend. The track is the GLARCRC parking lot track. The surface is improving but still very abrasive. Traction was high, but not sticky/tacky as in previous races. My results did not reflect how good the car was, but it was the best it has been at this track.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:25 PM   #845
Tech Apprentice

Hi Garen,

It looks like your using more and more the set-up of Josh Cyrul's car.
Is the car easier to drive when you let the upper 2mm shims in front and rear away?
Old 07-29-2008, 09:38 PM   #846
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hey Garen,
i will have to try those setup changes you show. last weekend your car looked both calm and fast.

i like the 2015 pipe but it had interference with the upright when combined with a medium conical, i had given up on it.
so is the 'non-conical' that much shorter? or is there a trick?
avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:53 AM   #847
Tech Adept

I like the 2015 too, but it must be used with short manifold I think. When combined different header than short, it interfere with upright. (Garen uses short header too)
deepfree_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:29 AM   #848
Tech Master

Stefan, the car was very easy to drive all around. I don't think this setup would have worked at the Byron Race as the track conditions and layout are completely different, but for this parking lot track, it worked great. Removing the 2mm rear upper shims (I was using 1mm before) helps the car rotate better in the corners. This car has so much rear traction (at least on our prepped surfaces), that we have to setup our cars to turn better. The setup used in Europe, at least the ones I have seen from Balestri, are very different from ours, and I don't have enough information on the new rear end to comment on the handling changes it makes, but I think the results speak for themselves.

Tony, I use the non conical header for fuel mileage purposes, along with the 2015 pipe. I might go back to a conical header if the track conditions allow for it. The 2015 pipe is longer than say a 2052; with the 2052 I normally run a medium header (conical or non conical I don't think it matters, they should be the same length). So with the 2015 I use a short header, and there are no clearance issues. I have not tried a 2015 with a short conical header yet, but I will next time, and maybe try 25% instead of 30%. At the Byron race I ran 25% Gen 2 on my 359 with 2015 and short non conical header. I was getting nearly 6 minutes to a tank. My offer still stands if you want me to rebuild your car exactly like mine for the next GLARCRC race.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:18 AM   #849
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by garen View Post
So with the 2015 I use a short header, and there are no clearance issues. ..
ok, somehow my eyeball didn't think a short header that much shorter to clear. i will give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garen View Post
My offer still stands if you want me to rebuild your car exactly like mine for the next GLARCRC race.
thanks, i will put things close and maybe you could give a final review/tweak.
but careful, offers of free mechanical services could make you very popular!
avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:08 PM   #850
Tech Master

A little customer service goes a long way! That's one of the perks of being a Motonica owner. Get things close and I'll double check it for you, but make sure to check all the pivot balls to ensure they are not bent and are bind free, make sure all the bearings spin free, make sure the shock shafts are straight and the shocks rebound all the same, etc. Otherwise follow the setup as best as you can. If you can not grind the front upper arm mounts, either run them at 0mm, or let me know and I'll try to get you a set of mounts that Brad T grinded for me. If you want to leave the rear body mount alone, I'll drill the hole for you.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:56 AM   #851
Tech Apprentice

Hi Garen,

We have a national championship on my home circuit this weekend,MACH Heemstede,
i'll keep you informed how it goes and what set-up we use.
Thanks for your answer.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:04 PM   #852
Tech Apprentice

Just came home from todays race, car was very good, but the weather wasn't.
It rained more than that it was dry so i decided not to run in semi.
First series was dry, but due to a stupid mistake i mist out the start, the rest of the series was wet.
So better luck next time.
I drove with 2mm shims all round
Front 1,0 camber, toe angle +1, down stop 2mm, caster 2 mm from rear.
Rear 3,0 camber, toe angle 3,0, down stop 4 mm, Motonica black springs all round, Zytec body, tires 35 shore, 76-96, shock oil 500 Front and rear.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:26 PM   #853
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Ice_nl

To bad, was hoping you would win on your hometrack. But its always hard to decide if you want to risk it in the wet. Did you like the zytec body? Last week i borrowed one from a friend to use in the promo series and i really liked it. Car felt easy to drive and i managed to get 21 rounds on the rucphen track which was better than i did before. I qualified second but in the final i had engine problems so i had to stop I also think the engines are harder to tune with the new efra exhausts as i ran an engine in using an old pipe and i didn't have any problems with it. But when i fitted a new pipe i couldn't get the engine tuned right.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:18 PM   #854
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kropy

Congrats to Josh Cyrul for bringing home the win at the 2008 Great Lakes Challenge
Kropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:09 PM   #855
Tech Master

Yes, MOTONICA WINS THE GLC!!!! Josh Cyrul and his Novarossi powered P8.0R 08 finish first after the 45 minute main. Art Carbonell was also in the final with his P8.0R 08, but I am not sure where he finished. I have not yet seen the master's class results, there may have been a Motonica in the main there as well. Congrats to all the Motonica Team for a job well done.