R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-28-2008, 04:40 PM   #781
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Motonica scores another podium! Scotty Barrera, despite 2 flameouts, places 2nd at the ROAR Regionals in Dallas, Texas.

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:19 PM   #782
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by garen View Post
Randy, adding or removing the spacers will raise or lower the roll centers, and among other things, affect camber gain.
Here's the basics:
adding spacers to the rear lower arms will lower the roll center, generally add more rear grip. removing them will raise the roll center, taking away rear grip. I generally use 1mm spacer. This allows the car to rotate better in the corners.

adding spacers to the rear upper arms will lower the roll center (the more parallel the upper and lower arms are the lower the roll center). adding spacers will also reduce camber gain. Removing or reducing spacers will raise roll center. I generally use 1mm or 0mm spacers, unless the grip is really bad, in which case I use 2mm. If you like the car to be more planted and easy to drive, use 2mm.

adding spacers to the front lower or upper arms will lower roll center. Reducing front upper spacers should increase corner entry steering but decrease entry exit steering. I have experimented with all sorts of combinations, 0mm top with 2mm bottom, 2mm top with 3mm bottom, etc. I generally run 2mm in the front lower, and 2mm in the front upper. I have tried 1mm and 0mm, but with my setups and tires, 2mm seems to work good for me. I am going to try some different setups and play with this setting again. Josh runs 2mm front lower and -2mm (no spacers and plastic mount shaved 2mm off) front upper. I think Brad T also runs 2mm lower and either 0mm or -2mm upper.
Thanks Garen that gives us a base line on set up and we can go from there. heading up to Chicago this weekend, Mikes on vacation .

Randy
racen4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:04 PM   #783
Tech Rookie

Guys, sorry I didn't post this before, I was thru a lot of stuff last weeks, but here it goes, Franco Ragusa took the 3rd position at teh Roar super regionals 4, The race was really tigth with lots of accidents, but he managed to get a place in the podium, I was doing great on the B main but a "rookie" driver lay down on the podium to scream at his mechanic and block my view at the end of the Straight, the next thing I saw was my car in pieces on the marshall hand. Next time will be!!!! Art was really fast and consistent but the transponder stop working and that was it for him, bad luck i guess!!

Here are the results:

-- 1/8 Open - A Main --
Pos Car Laps time name
1 5 202 45:01.57 Joe Sumasky
2 4 201 45:01.09 Vince Tate
3 7 183 45:12.33 Franco Ragusa
4 11 182 42:30.08 Roniel Regalado
5 6 182 45:19.35 Phillip Abed
6 12 181 45:08.76 Julian Hope
7 2 172 42:36.95 Paolo Morganti
8 8 156 41:32.13 Art Carbonell
9 10 96 23:42.15 Andres Abed
10 1 65 43:33.39 DJ Apolaro
11 3 12 2:25.08 Ryan Rhodes
12 9 4 0:47.25 Greg Esser

Franco mentioned me that he was impressed on how consistent the car was, even with almost no tires he was pulling fast laps (tire wear was on the high side and grip was not as good as it could be), Not bad at all for our first time racing the P08R.
dynamicracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:14 AM   #784
Tech Adept

Hi to everyone;
I just come back from our nationals first leg, with a position of 2. on the final. I have very very bad luck at this weekend. On free practicing I made a terrible accident on the back strait. My battery wire is shorted and I lost control. Result: I must rebuilt my car's rear end. After rebuilding, again on back strait, with full throttle (I think over 100kmh), I hit another car, which is stopped right on the apex! Result: I must rebuilt my car's front end. Except from this accidents, my car flies on the track. I set a new track record for myself, and take the pole position. The traction is good, I use 37shore outside tires and 35 shore inside tires with protoform Frisbee body. To gain some more steering I reduce the rear upper shims from 2mm to 1mm, make the rear anti roll bar 90 (I use serpent 960 roll bar blades, because these are stiffer),reduce front track width to 250mm. (other setups are standard).
But I have some problems too. I striped the motor mounts teethes during rebuild. I think motor mounts material is not as hard as enough. My first gear one way hub fails, I don't know why, because I keep it always clean and lubed with one-way specific lube. And the most important problem: Our back strait ends with a hard right turn. When my fuel tank is NEAR empty, my engine does not pick up after this hard right turn. This happens only when the fuel level is low. What is the problem? Is the new tank for this purpose built? Did someone else have this problem? And my last problem, what mm do you guys adjust your clutch gap? When I want to adjust it to .6mm then the clutch fails. Any idea?
deepfree_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:56 AM   #785
Tech Master

Congrats on the results.
Motor mounts: I have not had this problem; anyone experience this?
2 speed one way bearing: Does yours say 'INA' on it?
Fuel Tank: Yes the new tank is better for the problem you describe.
Clutch Gap: I normally add shims between inner bearing and shoe so that bell does not rub the shoe. The end play is then set to about 0.4mm +/-.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:47 PM   #786
Tech Master

May I know what year version is the fule tank related? Mine is the 8.0R.
choisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:03 PM   #787
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to ESWLFSE

The 2008 version features the upgraded fuel tank.
ESWLFSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:21 PM   #788
Tech Master

P8 and P8.0R share the same tank and upper tray. This tank is super low profile and wide.
P8.0R 08 has a new upper tray and more upright tank.

The old tank works just fine but if you have pick up/pressure problems, which some drivers do on some tracks, then the new tank works better.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:44 PM   #789
Tech Master

and you can fit the new tank and upper plate on the old cars and fit the old tank and upper plate on the new car.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:36 AM   #790
Tech Master

then, should i say the 8.0 & R version's fuel tank would by chance having this pressure problem, but the 2008 doesn't?
choisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:59 AM   #791
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to ESWLFSE

That is correct. The majority of the fuel in old version tank is well below the spraybar which can cause problems with consistent fuel flow. The newer tank is narrower and taller thereby keeping the fuel higher with respect to the carb.

The new tank also has a smaller "footprint" so there is less space available for fuel travel during accel/decel/cornering and it is less likely that the pickup will starve for fuel when you near the end of a tank.
ESWLFSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:36 AM   #792
Tech Master

The old tank will work just fine for most drivers in most conditions. In certain conditions you might experience pressure problems or fuel pick up problems. I never had pressure issues, but the problem I did have a few times was the engine shutting off when there was still a splash of fuel left in the tank... at the end of a 5 minute qualifier, driving full tilt.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:14 PM   #793
Tech Adept

On the one way bearing issue: There is only 'HF0812' on it. What does it mean?
Old 06-05-2008, 08:44 AM   #794
Tech Master

Contact your local Motonica importer for more accurate info, but here in the US, we received some one ways with bearings that did not have the INA stamp on them. Motonica had a batch of these non INA bearings and replaced them with the correct bearings. Yours may or may not be from this batch.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:00 AM   #795
Tech Adept

My one-way bearings don't have INA stamp on them... This is good for one point, I know now why my bearings fail.