Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
1/8th scale Motonica >

1/8th scale Motonica

1/8th scale Motonica

Old 04-23-2008, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ESWLFSE
Wow - one more adjustment just when I thought I had things figured out.

So you keep the same track width using the pivot ball adjustment?
Yes, More offset/scrub equals more mid corning steering. At least that is what I notice.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

google king pin inclination and read up on all the theory behind scrub angles, contact patch, etc.

by offsetting the wheel outwards, you increase the contact patch (independent of camber) of the tire.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:22 AM
Tech Adept

thanks for the info on the spring rates, tried silver on the front and white at the rear, it gave me a more responsive steering when entering an corner on power and mid corner. i also put 3mm spacers on the front upper arms and used an parma R10 body. This setup gave me a good car on most of the track but in the tight corners in the mid of the track i had almost no steering.

This is the best pic of the section of the track i could find. It shows the S corners in the center that i am having trouble with. Overall the car went well its just that low speed section where i have to little steering.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

Those 3mm spacers in the front did not help.

DJ Apolaro
Old 04-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Tech Adept

How many spacers would you recommend then?

I just noted i misread my setup book and lowering the front roll center isn't advised for tight tracks so ill remove the extra spacers and i am going to do some extra reading in the setup book as i am getting confused now .
Old 04-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Tech Master

Adding shims under the front upper arms raises the front roll center. Less shims lowers the roll center. Lowering the front upper arms (less shims) should make the car 'attack' the corner harder, but lose some steering on power. At Ft. Myers, Josh used 0 spacers, and in fact removed some plastic from the arm mount to lower the arm more.

Try 0mm, 2mm, and 4mm (reset camber each time) and see for yourself which one works best for you on your track.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:35 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Ice_nl
I just noted i misread my setup book
What setup book is that?
Old 04-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Tech Master

Quick race report: RAMS 40th anniversary, Josh Cyrul puts his P8.0R 08 in second after qualifying. Looking forward to the main tomorrow. I am in the C, hope to bump to the B and see how it goes from there.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:36 PM
Tech Master

We had a good weekend of racing at the RAMS 40th. I won the C, bumped to the B, and in the B I had moved all the way up to 4th when I heard over the PA my transponder was not counting....

Josh's car was good in the A warmup, but a first corner mishap put him back in the field and the car was just not as good after that. Still a 4th place finish is respectable in a tough field, and a good result for Motonica.

The RAMS club ran an excellent race program, and we are glad we decided to attend. The next 'major' race is the 301 Classic in June, Josh should be there for that one.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default 08'

Garen,

When are the next batch of '08 update kits coming in?
Old 04-30-2008, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

I have a shipment due to leave Italy next week, containing parts, kits, and upgrade kits.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:08 AM
Tech Adept

Finally I have time to test my car last weekend. I'm pretty satisfied with the performance of the car. The weather was not good, it rains sometimes and the track surface is cold. Before rain we sprayed the track with coke, but after rain its effect goes away. First I try the car with frizbee body, but due to the low traction, I have stability problems. Then I try the shadow body with high gourney strip. This time, I lost steering to much, but the car is stabilized. Then I lower the gourney strip and make the rear roll bar 90 degree, mount the front shock absorbers one step lower. ( the other adjustments are stock) With this setup I can run very consistent laps. On the last qualification, I run pretty well but my Pt did not count my 2 laps. So I change the position of the pt. ( I try to attach some photos of my car tonight). The finals were on Sunday, but the rain didn't stop all day. So the finals were canceled. I hope I can find more track time next time.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:14 PM
Tech Master

The setup changes you are making are similar to the ones we make. If you need a little more steering, try running an 8mm tire split instead of 7mm, provided you are using the 26T side pulley.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default New member

Hello everybody,

My name is Stefan from Holland.
This year i started racing again, after a 15 year break.
I used to race for Serpent from the middle 80's until the end of 1993.
This time i wanted to drive something that didn't look like a serpent, mugen or Kyosho, because they all look the same
Than i saw this Motonica appearing and heard of it's performance and i was turned around.
I'm still working on the set-up, it's getting better and better all the time.
I don't have that much time being a father so i have to be patient.
This year is a learning experience, and i try to be competitive next year.
Now i'm in second position in say the F2, first race 2nd and second race 6th, i was in 2nd place again when my glowplug fell in so i stopped.
In overall standings i'm still in 2nd place and after 6 races i hope to promote to the F1.(first 6 drivers will promote).
I like this forum because you see a lot of the same little problems of understear, wich i recognise also.
I now run with the 1mm shims up and low in the rear and 2 mm in front up and low. With mugen white springs and 500 oil. Full stiff rear swaybar.
This race the stearing was much better but still not enough.

Ps i was noticed by this forum due Scotty Barrera, hi Scotty thanks for all your tips.

Greetz Stefan.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:08 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by stefanmotonica
This year i started racing again, after a 15 year break.
Welcome. I also just started racing again this year after a 15 year break. My last car was a PB Phoenix.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.