R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-28-2007, 08:14 PM   #46
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfree_z View Post
I have just ordered a new P8.0R, and reading such posts makes me very happy. It is very good to hear about the durability issue, cause I wonder the toughness of the car very much. Serpend, where did you mount the transponder
? Can you post some pictures? Thanks.
No problem bro! I'm so happy to see that I'm not the ONLY Motonica owner! Dude, you are going to be sooooo stoked and happy when you get your new pride and joy and get to race it. I actually plan on going to the Nat's in Vegas next week without any spares other then belts. And even those don't seem to wear like the other cars. I have about 3 hours on my car and the belts still look perfect!. still have deep grooves in the belts and all. I am pretty anal about maintenance though. Keep the pulleys clean and free of road gunk and crap and your good to go. Also this is the ONLY car that I am aware of anyway where the eccentrics for the front belt tentioner is on the middle pulley shaft mount. All the "little" things about this car is trully remarkable. Sorry for rambleing again, but I have been preping my Motonica for the Nats and am totally fired up. You are going to love this car deepfree_z!
I did get a few pointers from some drivers around the world in other countries in regards to setups. If your interested let me know. I does run very aggresive and handles great with the "stock" set up. But with only a few minor changes (depending on your track conditions and all) you can make your new car wake up in a BIG way!! The help I have obtained has been directly from some of the sponsored drivers in Italy, Germany, Spain and Switzerland where the car is more popular. Some dude that I met on the Motonica forums has been VERY helpful for me. His name is Spesenti. I think he is one of the TOP drivers for Motonica in Italy or nearby. He is a very helpful and pleasent person that knows LOTS about the Motonica. He actually sent me pics of his car on where to mount the transponder, so this is how I got my information. Dude, the Motonica is winning races left and right around the world!! WOO HOO!! Sorry dude, getting carried away again.

Anyway, as far as the transponder, it doesn't come with a specific mount. I've seen some guys attach it with servo tape to the outside of the receiver holder. I on the other hand took a Serpent transponder mount and mounted it to the CF top deck. I drilled the two holes and then counter sunk the bottom side and it turned out beautifuly. I'm sure almost any brand of mount will work. Anyway bro, here is a few pics. I hope this helps. Like I said, I am new to the car myself, but if you have any questions, ask away and I will see if I can help. Also, join the Motonica forum on the main Motonica site http://www.motonica.com/english/index.htm these guys are AWESOME!! If you ask your question in English, they will respond in English. Otherwise it's a lot of Italian I think. Good luck bro!
Attached Thumbnails
1/8th scale Motonica-motonica-transponder-002.jpg   1/8th scale Motonica-motonica-transponder-004.jpg   1/8th scale Motonica-motonica-transponder-007.jpg   1/8th scale Motonica-motonica-transponder-008.jpg  
Old 08-28-2007, 08:44 PM   #47
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by choisan View Post
After hearing that, I am more pleased and anticipated to have my car a first touch down soon.
But I have to share, there are minor issues on this 8.0R.
We ordered 3 boxes. One box was found with missing of 6 aluminum nuts for the steering hub. Mine was found missing 4 shims on each steering hub in between the pin and the outter bearing.
All all 3 boxes have too thick caster plastic inserts, we need to make it thinner to fit.

Besides these, this car is looked gorgeous. I will try to compare with my MRX4R and X.
Yes bro you are 100% correct with the caster shims. Not many, but a few parts of the car need a little attention. The cool thing about the caster is that even if all the caster clips fell out (which they won't of course) is that the "block" that slides to adjust your caster is also tightened down by a screw towards the bottom of the block. So really the caster clips could be used just as a reference to know how much caster you are using. I tried to move the caster block back and forth without the caster clips in with the screw snugged up, and it will not move. But yes, still sand down the clips and use them. Just don't forget about that screw when it comes time to change your caster. The screw is sort of in a hidden area.
Dude, I am way sorry to hear that there were a few parts missing from your kit when you got them. That just sucks. After you do get that all sorted out and start playing on the track, you will totally forget that crap ever happened. But none the less, it still sucks. I honestly don't understand why those caster clips are too thick? It was the same with my kit. They need to change the mold at the production site I think.
After you get somewhat comfortable with your Motonica, please share your opinion with the differences on the MRX-4R and X version. I have been hearing great things about the new MRX-4X. Maybe as good as the Motonica?? Just kidding. I'm sure you will find that it will be hard to put down the Motonica after you start getting you setup right for your driving style. But I do know that Mugen guys love their cars. I don't blame them either, it's a kickass car. Don't forget about all the stuff I mentioned that is compatible between the two cars. You can use your Mugen clutch if you prefer to. Just a reminder is all. I'm sure you will know more about the compatability then I do. I have never owned a Mugen, only wrenched on my buddy's. Anyway, best of luck to you my friend. Keep us posted bro!!
Old 08-28-2007, 08:56 PM   #48
Tech Master

Hi Bros,
Can you please send me the setting you have!
Thanks!
choisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:05 PM   #49
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentd View Post
Yes bro you are 100% correct with the caster shims. Not many, but a few parts of the car need a little attention. The cool thing about the caster is that even if all the caster clips fell out (which they won't of course) is that the "block" that slides to adjust your caster is also tightened down by a screw towards the bottom of the block. So really the caster clips could be used just as a reference to know how much caster you are using. I tried to move the caster block back and forth without the caster clips in with the screw snugged up, and it will not move. But yes, still sand down the clips and use them. Just don't forget about that screw when it comes time to change your caster. The screw is sort of in a hidden area.
Dude, I am way sorry to hear that there were a few parts missing from your kit when you got them. That just sucks. After you do get that all sorted out and start playing on the track, you will totally forget that crap ever happened. But none the less, it still sucks. I honestly don't understand why those caster clips are too thick? It was the same with my kit. They need to change the mold at the production site I think.
After you get somewhat comfortable with your Motonica, please share your opinion with the differences on the MRX-4R and X version. I have been hearing great things about the new MRX-4X. Maybe as good as the Motonica?? Just kidding. I'm sure you will find that it will be hard to put down the Motonica after you start getting you setup right for your driving style. But I do know that Mugen guys love their cars. I don't blame them either, it's a kickass car. Don't forget about all the stuff I mentioned that is compatible between the two cars. You can use your Mugen clutch if you prefer to. Just a reminder is all. I'm sure you will know more about the compatability then I do. I have never owned a Mugen, only wrenched on my buddy's. Anyway, best of luck to you my friend. Keep us posted bro!!
Thanks for advising the screw to lock the "block". To me, as i used to try on different brands of touring and 1/8, G4, RRR, MTX4, Evolva, 960, MRX4(R, X-to be tested).

After trying them, except for the excellence of TM G4 plastic and alloy quality, Mugen is the same. At least i do not have missing parts and not much craftmanship on plastic required.

For 8.0R's belt, they are exactly Evolva 2005 front and middle belt. Rear is same as MRX4.
choisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:59 AM   #50
Tech Adept

Serpend, thanks for the reply and the pictures. While I reading the manual, I have seen there are many holes on fuel tank. What kind of holes are the 'fuel drain pipe' holes? I don't see any fuel tank like this befor. Can someone explain this holes?
deepfree_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:22 AM   #51
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Serpend, thanks for the reply and the pictures. While I reading the manual, I have seen there are many holes on fuel tank. What kind of holes are the 'fuel drain pipe' holes? I don't see any fuel tank like this befor. Can someone explain this holes?

The two outer holes are for the overflow and the middle one is for the fuel pick up, you might be able to see from the pic of my car

V1R racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:24 AM   #52
Tech Apprentice

And another

V1R racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:09 AM   #53
Tech Apprentice

Default Motonica

Hi guys ,hows it going?Im a factory Motonica driver here in the US and will be at the nats if anyone needs some help with things. On the parts situation, competitionproducts has them and will continue to get more in as this car continues to grow in interest. The guy to talk to there is Luther and he will be more than happy to help you. I have couple of things I have found on the car that you guys might like. First is the brake arm, If you will take a con washer from a engine mount and put it on top of the arm, it stiffens it up a bit and its a little more positive. Also on the tab that this arm pushes against when the gas is applied, put a small set screw to take out all the lash so the arm doesnt have to travel so far.Set up stuff I can pm to you all if u want. Anyhow, mail me if anyone needs anything..

Scotty Barrera
Rocket sceince racing fuel
YBslow Inc
Scottyoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:38 AM   #54
Tech Adept

Ok, but where goes the overflowed fuel?
Old 09-01-2007, 10:20 PM   #55
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyoo View Post
Hi guys ,hows it going?Im a factory Motonica driver here in the US and will be at the nats if anyone needs some help with things. On the parts situation, competitionproducts has them and will continue to get more in as this car continues to grow in interest. The guy to talk to there is Luther and he will be more than happy to help you. I have couple of things I have found on the car that you guys might like. First is the brake arm, If you will take a con washer from a engine mount and put it on top of the arm, it stiffens it up a bit and its a little more positive. Also on the tab that this arm pushes against when the gas is applied, put a small set screw to take out all the lash so the arm doesnt have to travel so far.Set up stuff I can pm to you all if u want. Anyhow, mail me if anyone needs anything..

Scotty Barrera
Scotty, Dude that is great news about you being at the Nats this coming week. I plan on ariving in Vegas Wednesday evening, so will be ready for Thurseday practice. This will be the frist time I get to race my Motonica at a larger event. So I plan on hunting you down to introduce myself and say hello not to mention pick your brain a bit. That is GREAT news that there will actually be a "Motonica driver" there. Like usual I don't plan on many of us being there representing the Motonica, but that's ok as the car is still VERY new to everyone, especially in the US . It only took me a few minutes at the controls of this car to convince me that I made the right decision in running this car. Thank you for the post and like I said, I look forward to meeting you at the Nats. It should be a BLAST!! Is anyone else out there going to the upcomming Nats with a Motonica in hand?? Let us know!!! Later all!
Old 09-02-2007, 07:08 PM   #56
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Motonica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentd View Post
Scotty, Dude that is great news about you being at the Nats this coming week. I plan on ariving in Vegas Wednesday evening, so will be ready for Thurseday practice. This will be the frist time I get to race my Motonica at a larger event. So I plan on hunting you down to introduce myself and say hello not to mention pick your brain a bit. That is GREAT news that there will actually be a "Motonica driver" there. Like usual I don't plan on many of us being there representing the Motonica, but that's ok as the car is still VERY new to everyone, especially in the US . It only took me a few minutes at the controls of this car to convince me that I made the right decision in running this car. Thank you for the post and like I said, I look forward to meeting you at the Nats. It should be a BLAST!! Is anyone else out there going to the upcomming Nats with a Motonica in hand?? Let us know!!! Later all!
I'll be there with Motonica in hand!!
speedracer1bp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:03 AM   #57
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer1bp View Post
I'll be there with Motonica in hand!!
KICK ASS guys!! I am so stoked to see that I am not the ONLY one that has dove head first into this most incredible car! I went totaly blind into this car and have been 100% happy with my racing ever since. Well I don't have much to say other then, I will see you all at the races!! Lets just all be well prepared and have our meditation focused! Yeah, I know I'm a goof ball...but who gives a shit. It's all about fun and trying your best! Good luck my fellow racers! Later.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:53 AM   #58
Tech Adept

Then we will wait for some race reports and more feedbacks from you and from all motonica drivers. It will be very good everybody around the world testing the car and posting their experiences.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:46 AM   #59
Tech Adept

What do you think about the plastic parts quality? Are the quality different on P8 and P8R?
Old 09-10-2007, 07:23 AM   #60
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Ok, but where goes the overflowed fuel?
Well if you do nothing it looks like the fuel goes out the back & all over the engine but......if you put fuel line on those you can rout the excess fuel wherever you want.
GBagRacing is offline   Reply With Quote