R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-20-2007, 12:00 PM   #376
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ESWLFSE

What is the purpose of the new bulkheads/tower? Do the existing option braces work with the new bulkheads/tower?
ESWLFSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:08 PM   #377
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by garen View Post
OK, here's some info on the new parts:

3- What are the handling characteristics of the new chassis? More steering, less, etc.?

Actually the steering does not change, the only advantage is that you can house bigger batteries.

4- Does the new radio tray hold AAA batteries still or can it accept AA?

It is not a matter of radio tray. It is the new chassis (together with the new tank shape) that allows to house AAA or 2/3A batteries
Thank you VERY much for that information Garen. That's awesome bro. However, I have a question...sort of. It sounds like the chassis is more less just to replace your scratched up one with a new one. Yes and change to higher capacity batteries if you wanted. That's a nice option, but by no means necessary really. I never had battery (run time) issues. So I wonder why they don't offer 2 versions of the "new" upgrade. Mainly focusing on price here. If you took the chassis and the radio plate out of the picture, I would think that this would lower the cost by 50-60% for people. Maybe we (You, me, Paul, Other) could just put together our own upgrade kits leaving out the chassis and battery tray to save them money. I'm just think out loud here as usuall. Plus I'm totaly zoned right now from "Morning Funk", so I might be missing something or just make no sence. If this is the case, then everyone just ignore me.

I suppose that maybe they wanted the larger capacity battery option for those 1 hour mains and maybe to put a bit more weight where it belongs? Not sure, but it's a cool option for sure, just not 100% necessary if the ONLY difference is the battery tray. I never weighed the batteries before, OOOHHH COOOOL, I can due this for an adition to that photo shoot. SWEET!!!!

One thing Garen, were you able to find out the purpose of the 2 little tabs on the new upper plate? I still think probably for PT. Just because this is close to where I mounted mine. Dude, back to the battery thing. If we can use 2/3C celss, I wonder what the configuration looks like? Thinking out loud still. Maybe like three side by side and the other 2 next to those. Hmm, it wouldn't be symetrical then. I guess we'll have to wait and see. OK, I just weighed the batteries, the AAA configuration is 65 grams and the 5, 2/3C cells are 100 grams. So 35 extra grams down low and in the center is good, also the capacity benefits would be nice, not necessary but still nice for a little added piece of mind knowing you have extra juice. I know you didn't mention AA battery size fitting, but it looks like it would be close. I only mention this because I believe these have WAY more mAh's compaired to AAA or 2/3.

I mean like AAA batteries have what 1100 mAh max or so, 2/3 have 1400....maybe 1500 mAh's but AA batteries can start getting up to about 2500 mAh's I think. I could be wrong, so don't believe me until I look it up. It would be nice though for the Lipo's. More room as our buddy ESWLFSE has already shown us the tight fit for the lipos in the current tray. OK guys I'm all done on the damn battery thing. A little overkill I know. That's about how I do every thing. Either way, I am just WAY STOKED to get this new update kit. I love new RC stuff, especially when it's for my MOTONICA!! Woo Hoo!!

This update kit just shows us how awesome our cars really are. Because if you really look at the new kit, nothing about our cars have changed. A few minor improvments or options depending how you look at it, but nothing like what "other" cars updates are. Holy shit, not bashing it cause I still have one, but look at the Serpent 960 thread. SOO much new crap that should of been dealt with 2 years ago. If you bought a 960 last year at this time, you would NEED to do 3 or 4 pretty major updates to keep it up to date. And they say our cars are expensive!?! Again, i'm not bashing ANY other manufacturer and the way they do stuff, but these guys make me appreciate our MOTONICA cars just that much more! Damn do we ever have the best ride out there! Now lets all get ready for the 2008 season and go prove this!! YEAH BABY!!!!!! Later guys!

Sorry for the long post everyone. Just got on a roll...again.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:20 PM   #378
Tech Regular

Quote:
It sounds like the chassis is more less just to replace your scratched up one with a new one.

Love your posts Darren. If I had some personality maybe I could write something like that! Hopefully some wheel time will bring me up to your level of enthusiasm!

I assume we could buy any of the upgrade parts individually?

Reglated LiPo still gets my vote not for weight savings but for usable capacity and constant regulated voltage. A 1200 LiPo is more like a 1800 or so NiMh, and the regulator gives you consistent servo performance with no performance variation under load (braking) or near the end of the pack (long main). I'm hoping this will make my driving more consistent. It sure works for helis.

I searched long and hard and the only pack that will BARELY fit in place of 5XAAA is the Kokam 1200 and its hard to find. It does leave just enough room for a slightly thinned Castle BEC sandwiched alongside, but you could always mount that somewhere besides in the batt. tray too.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:28 PM   #379
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITROMONTREAL View Post
Who is the importer/dist. for U.S.A?
Dude, I saw that no one answered your question. The actual distributor/importer is going to be revealed soon bro. But in the mean time you can get anything you want or need from a few of us on this thread. There's Garen, PAULQ... WWW.MOTONICAUSA.COM, or myself. Sorry if I missed anyone guys. Anyway, we are obtaining our supply from the new US distributor, it's just the distributor hasn't made an "Official" anouncement so to speak. But more or less, it's pretty darn official. So if you have ANY questions or concern or just want to get some stuff, let us know. We'll all help take care of you. We have an INCREDIBLE crew here from all parts of the World. But with you being from Canada, us US dudes will help you get what you need. Things are still just in the works sort of. Like Web sites and stuff like that. But like I said, we're all up and running, so just let us know. Take care man. Later.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:28 PM   #380
Tech Master

The new bulkheads and tower allow the shocks to be mounted to a graphite plate instead of plastic. This may stiffen things up a bit and simplify the front end slightly, but I don't see any major performance benefit or any geometry change.
I don't know if the existing braces fit or not, my guess is no. Maybe YBSLOW will make new braces to fit?

As for batteries, it boils down to a weight issue for me and I approach it as a tuning option, not an 'upgrade' issue.

Yes, all the new parts will be available individually as spare parts.

The bottom line is there is nothing wrong with the existing car, the new parts , aside from the rear body mount, just give you choices for tuning. For me, I will use the new tank and upper tray for sure, maybe the new bulkheads/tower, but I will likely stick with the old battery, chassis.

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:46 PM   #381
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESWLFSE View Post

Love your posts Darren. If I had some personality maybe I could write something like that! Hopefully some wheel time will bring me up to your level of enthusiasm!

I assume we could buy any of the upgrade parts individually?

Reglated LiPo still gets my vote not for weight savings but for usable capacity and constant regulated voltage. A 1200 LiPo is more like a 1800 or so NiMh, and the regulator gives you consistent servo performance with no performance variation under load (braking) or near the end of the pack (long main). I'm hoping this will make my driving more consistent. It sure works for helis.

I searched long and hard and the only pack that will BARELY fit in place of 5XAAA is the Kokam 1200 and its hard to find. It does leave just enough room for a slightly thinned Castle BEC sandwiched alongside, but you could always mount that somewhere besides in the batt. tray too.
Well bro, thanks man. Your information on the lipo's is awesome. Maybe the new tray will have a bit more room for other Lipo packs out there. I agree also with the power so to speak that these type of batteries put out. You actually got me thinking about a Lipo upgrade. So thanks for the info bro!!

As far as my enthusiasm, well it's pretty easy when you have a GREAT car and even more importantly our crew. What I call our MOTONICA CREW! Dude, I couldn't do it without all of you guys. We have ALL helped to make this one of the best threads on this forum! So the way I see it, we ALL ROCK!!! This makes me extremely stoked to know that I'm a part of this killer crew of guys!!!!

I'm almost 100% sure that all the updated parts will be sold individually. Probably take a few weeks to get everything in, maybe a bit more time, but I think this won't be an issue if you just want a few of the parts. I'll personally want to get the full kit, but that's just me. The one important update I would notice the most would be the new rear body support. I'm very happy that Motonica made this change. I'll have to just wait and see how much I like the other updates. Well shucks, I need to go to work now. But I'll be back, you can count on it!! Later guys!!
Old 12-20-2007, 01:46 PM   #382
Tech Rookie

Thanks serpentd, I was just wondering why it was taking so long to find out
who is the new distributor, especially because the last one didn't last to long.
NITROMONTREAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:49 PM   #383
Tech Regular

Garen is the west coast distributor and Paul Q. is the east coast distributor.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:12 PM   #384
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITROMONTREAL View Post
Thanks serpentd, I was just wondering why it was taking so long to find out
who is the new distributor, especially because the last one didn't last to long.
Your welcome NITROMONTREAL. Your right, the last one didn't last long at all. Not sure why, but it really doesn't matter now. The new distributor(s) are 100% solid!! Motonica should be the ones happy with the new distributor(s) because of the incredible support. I'm sure when a few more Web sites pop up, there will be a lot more exposure as well along with the races that will be attended. So do you currently own a Motonica or any 1/8th scale? I was just curious. later.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:32 PM   #385
Tech Rookie

I own a Serpent 1/8 and have been racing with this brand for over 10 years.
I am thinking about trying a Motonica because of the design and because it's
an Italian brand. But the support has to be super solid first.
NITROMONTREAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:55 PM   #386
Tech Master

NITROMONTREAL- check your PM folder. I can assure you Motonica will be supported quite well.

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:09 PM   #387
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I kinda feel the same way. Only I've been with Mugen for a little over 8 yrs. Race with Scotty Barrera, here in Texas. The car looks outstanding, but I want to know that the back up is there. I've been reading the thread, and I'm getting more and more impressed.

Last edited by ma racer; 12-20-2007 at 03:10 PM. Reason: spelling
ma racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:10 PM   #388
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Lipo Batteries in Motonica

Guys, I have found a perfect Lipo that fits the Motonica Battery tray. I e-mailed this to YBSlow so he has the dementions. It doesn't matter as it fits the stock tray and the YBSlow Brass tray. In my opion, Li-po's are the way to go, not just for weight, but for reliabillity. Also, the pack I found is 900 mah, (which is like 1300 or 1400) and tou can use the brass tray and add MORE weight to the sides of the battery. These packs are very inexpensive and available from Hong Kong. I paid less than $20 for 2 packs shipped.I can't get the dang things to load on here as the files are too big. PM me with your e-mail and I'll e-mail you the pics. Or Darrin, PM me with your e-mail and I'll e-mail it to you and maybe you can put it on.
speedracer1bp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:31 PM   #389
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer1bp View Post
Guys, I have found a perfect Lipo that fits the Motonica Battery tray. I e-mailed this to YBSlow so he has the dementions. It doesn't matter as it fits the stock tray and the YBSlow Brass tray. In my opion, Li-po's are the way to go, not just for weight, but for reliabillity. Also, the pack I found is 900 mah, (which is like 1300 or 1400) and tou can use the brass tray and add MORE weight to the sides of the battery. These packs are very inexpensive and available from Hong Kong. I paid less than $20 for 2 packs shipped.I can't get the dang things to load on here as the files are too big. PM me with your e-mail and I'll e-mail you the pics. Or Darrin, PM me with your e-mail and I'll e-mail it to you and maybe you can put it on.
Dude, you have a pm.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:12 PM   #390
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma racer View Post
I kinda feel the same way. Only I've been with Mugen for a little over 8 yrs. Race with Scotty Barrera, here in Texas. The car looks outstanding, but I want to know that the back up is there. I've been reading the thread, and I'm getting more and more impressed.
Dude, I hear you 100%. If you can't get parts then why race that car. And I'm not talking just the regular parts like arms and bumpers, I want ALL the parts including optionals, and every other part to the car for that matter. You never know when you will have that "unique" crash and break the stangest part. However, this is where the MOTONICA shines!! And I mean big time. This is the STRONGEST onroad ever made. Yes I am biased, but when it comes to durability this car has it. So way more fact then my opinion. Trust me, I've driven most of the cars and put them ALL through some serious punishment and the Motonica will just bounce back 9 out of 10 times. But back to the subject of parts. Although the US distribution is still fairly new, it's definitely 100% solid. And with our man Garen taking care of things, we will all owe the longevity of our parts support to him. He has taken on this distribution to the fullest and most mature level you can. So I am personally finally relieved that the Motonica is here to stay in the US without any issues. With me working with Garen first hand over the last few months, he has more then proven that this car will stay grounded here in the US not only for parts, tires etc...but for the support as well. He's an excellent driver with ALL the detail in his setups. I have NEVER seen this type of detail in any other manufacturers pro racers setup sheets. Although I haven't search ALL of them, I have done my fair share over the last 8 years. So you can have the highest level of confidence that your car will always be up and going for raceday. With everything that has been accomplished in the last few months, I can only imagine it to get that much better down the road.

I'm not saying all this as lip service to try and convince anyone of anything, but the facts are that the Motonica has finally found it's home here in the US and it's because of Garen that this has been made possible. So much that there is already the Motonica Grand Prix race in Vegas already in the making. It's been awhile, as I took a few years off of racing, but I still have yet to see a Serpent Gran prix ever let alone the Motonica has only been available in the US for about 7 months or so. This is not to bash Serpent by ANY means, I raced Serpent for a few years all the way up to August of this year infact. But I used this to show that the Motonica has been taken extremely serious now for the US. After all, how can you compair a company that's only been around for a few years compaired to the other companies that have been around for 20 or so years? Also, if anyone has read about the birth of the Motonica, then you will realize that it's here to stay World Wide! The time and money that has gone into developing the Motonica is just plain awesome. Also reading about the background of the developers is cool as hell. These guys spent about 3 years developing the Motonica and come from a full scale onroad racing back ground with direct connections to Ferrari! Well, it's a long story, but a very cool one.

Damn, sorry man...I have this tendency to ramble on and on. Any way I will shut up for now. I just wanted to point out that the Motonica is in great hands here in the US and is here to stay. And I'm am so pleased with this fact because the MOTONICA RULES BABY!!!! IT RULES!!! Later guys!