R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-15-2007, 01:40 AM   #331
Tech Adept

Can someone explain what are the differences between new parts and old parts? (wc upgrade) Thanks.
deepfree_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 02:17 AM   #332
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

OK, the upgrade kit and the forthcoming new car is called the P8.0R WC. There is no 07 in the name of the car; the 07 reference on the CD is to the recent Worlds where Motonica put a car in the main.

The only difference between the P8.0R and the new P8.0R WC are the parts shown in the photo. I don't have all the details yet, but here is what I do know:
The fuel tank has been redesigned for better fuel pick up.
The upper tray has been redesigned to fit the new tank. I assume the two holes in the front are for a PT, but I am not sure.
The battery holder now comes in carbon and has been redesigned, as has the middle part of the chassis where the holder mounts to. I don't think the rest of the chassis has any changes made to it.
The rear body mount has been redesigned and puts the middle guide piece farther forward, eliminating or at least minimizing the chances of the guide pin from popping out in case of hard crash.
The front bulkheads have been redesigned and accept the new shock tower, which eliminates the old graphite connecting piece and the plastic ears where the shocks used to mount to.

Otherwise the suspension geometry and the rest of the car (shocks, arms, knuckles, belts, pulleys, radio tray, center mount, engine mounts, front body mount, bumper, layshafts, etc.) are all the same. IMO this does not make the existing P8.0R obsolete, it just offers more options for the racer.

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:17 AM   #333
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by garen View Post
OK, the upgrade kit and the forthcoming new car is called the P8.0R WC. There is no 07 in the name of the car; the 07 reference on the CD is to the recent Worlds where Motonica put a car in the main.

The only difference between the P8.0R and the new P8.0R WC are the parts shown in the photo. I don't have all the details yet, but here is what I do know:
The upper tray has been redesigned to fit the new tank. I assume the two holes in the front are for a PT, but I am not sure.
The battery holder now comes in carbon and has been redesigned, as has the middle part of the chassis where the holder mounts to. I don't think the rest of the chassis has any changes made to it.
The rear body mount has been redesigned and puts the middle guide piece farther forward, eliminating or at least minimizing the chances of the guide pin from popping out in case of hard crash.
The front bulkheads have been redesigned and accept the new shock tower, which eliminates the old graphite connecting piece and the plastic ears where the shocks used to mount to.

Otherwise the suspension geometry and the rest of the car (shocks, arms, knuckles, belts, pulleys, radio tray, center mount, engine mounts, front body mount, bumper, layshafts, etc.) are all the same. IMO this does not make the existing P8.0R obsolete, it just offers more options for the racer.
Thanks for the update Garen! Dude, that all makes sence. I'll admit I'm sort of confused about the new shock tower and how it connects to the bulkheads? I looks like it still might need to have a small lobe or something to connect that part just like the older CF piece. It's just hard to see in that picture is all. I was hoping that those bulkheads were made out of a new Black titanium/aluminum type alloy. For that subzero racing when plastic gets brittle. Oh well, uhhhhh. Brad...DUDE. Does your CNC machine do complex pieces?? Well it never hurts to ask.

On another note, I really hope to see everyone out at the Motonica Grand Prix in Vegas. For those of you that have never ran there, It's a pretty fast track with a few switch backs to try and slow things down a bit. Traction is usually High, unless we get a quick dust storm (Usually only happens on Sunday, the day of the mains), and one of the nicest things is it has very low tire wear. I usually always run 38's -42's at this track. I prefer harder tires, but majority of people will run 38's and maybe 40's. But with our car having so much rear traction, you might want all the way up to 45's for the rear. It sort of depends on the temps of the asphault and your body selection. Try and run bodies like the R10/R11, Central, Dome etc. Do not run the Shadow is all I can say! The Frizbree would work well I think. It is a very unforgiving track meaning the boards and other track parts don't move if you hit them. Most cars break, but the Motonica being so strong in design, you shouldn't have too many issues. This last September I was in Vegas and only had issues with the rear body mount poping out of it's guide (The reason for the new update!). Other then that, I hit shit now and then and never broke a thing. To say that about this track is quite rare. WE HAVE KILLER CARS!!!!!!

I know Garen made a setup sheet for this track, that would be a good starting point unless he states differently. I think that setup is on page 8 or something. OK, I'm not sure where it is, but it's here. So Garen, from what you have learned about the car, should we stick to your original Vegas setup sheet??

OK guys, I really hope that EVERYONE on our killer thread can make this race. This is the perfect oportunity to meet our Motonica Crew (all of us) and learn more about setup and specifics to our car. Plus it will be fun as hell. Just imagine if Garen can get some of the Italian dudes up here as well. If this happens, this will be a VERY rare occation!! Oh guys, I am getting WAY pumped about this race. I hope you all are too. Scottyoo, dude your going right? Sweet, I will chat with you all soon!!! I hope I get to meet all you at this race. After all it's sponsored by MOTONICA....COME ON, make those plans guys!! WOO HOO. Later for now guys!!!!!!!!
Old 12-15-2007, 09:39 AM   #334
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to SalvadoriRacing Send a message via Skype™ to SalvadoriRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by garen View Post

I've seen the car in Cordoba and hopefully will receive it in Brazil within the first week '08........

The new chassi is more flexible due to the bigger space for the new batt holder and it's an option for low grip tracks.......it also allows different options of battery like Li-po for example.......

the new bulkheads and front shock mount offer a better solution to install the dampers........

the new tank moves freely (we haven't had any problem with the previous one, but in the world championship Maurizio suggested me to not use the rear screw to install the fuel tank and let it move as much as possible)......

and the rear body support is held by the guide pin without risk to escape......

in Cordoba Balestri used the new chassi and front bulkheads/shock tower, but didn't use the new radio plate and tank.......

they also tested an excentric insert on rear hubs to make the wheelbase adjustable, but they ended up using the normal position and so I don't think this part is going to be produced.......
SalvadoriRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:58 AM   #335
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvadoriRacing View Post
I've seen the car in Cordoba and hopefully will receive it in Brazil within the first week '08........

The new chassi is more flexible due to the bigger space for the new batt holder and it's an option for low grip tracks.......it also allows different options of battery like Li-po for example.......

the new bulkheads and front shock mount offer a better solution to install the dampers........

the new tank moves freely (we haven't had any problem with the previous one, but in the world championship Maurizio suggested me to not use the rear screw to install the fuel tank and let it move as much as possible)......

and the rear body support is held by the guide pin without risk to escape......

in Cordoba Balestri used the new chassi and front bulkheads/shock tower, but didn't use the new radio plate and tank.......

they also tested an excentric insert on rear hubs to make the wheelbase adjustable, but they ended up using the normal position and so I don't think this part is going to be produced.......
Wow dude, thanks for the extra information in regards to these new parts. Very helpful, thank you! I can understand the chassis being more flexible and help in lower grip situations, but honestly the Motonica already has so much rear grip, does this chassis help out with more steering, or just more overall grip both front and rear. I would really like to see Balestri's World's set up with this chassis. Does anyone know how to obtain this, how about you SalvadoriRacing?? Just curious how one of the Worlds best drivers sets his car up. Anyway, again thanks you for the information SalvadoriRacing. It's great to see guys like yourself helping out on here. Your input is very appreciated
Old 12-15-2007, 10:44 AM   #336
Tech Master

Vegas setup: The Vegas setup I posted a few pages is a good starting point. I think the GLARCRC setup I posted this week with smaller tires and 1 shore softer tires will likely work even better. The Parma R11 body works well, and I still plan on testing the Serpent Central, Frizbee, Shadow, Dome.

Thanks for the info on the new chassis and parts. It sounds like you can choose to run the new chassis or not. We'll know for sure in a couple of weeks :-)

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:55 AM   #337
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to ESWLFSE

I'd rather not use the new tank unless I find I have to. That radio tray and tank are one one of my favorite design features of the car.
ESWLFSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:45 AM   #338
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESWLFSE View Post
I'd rather not use the new tank unless I find I have to. That radio tray and tank are one one of my favorite design features of the car.
I never had an issue with the tank bro and it sounds like Balestri didn't either at the Worlds to get 10th in the A mains. So I'm with you my friend. Actually, I still wonder what happened to Balestri in his main, he obviously had some sort of problem with the car or engine. Not sure. If that dude didn't have problems he could have very well been in the top 3 in my opinion following his racing career. The dude rages for sure.

So ESWLFSE, can you make this Vegas race coming up? That would be too killer if you could. Would enjoy meeting you and race together. Especially with our main man Garen!! By the way, thanks for the info Garen on setup for Vegas.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #339
Tech Regular

I did propose the venture to my wife and received a "that might be fun" which is about a 95% in my book. If you can believe that we have never been to Vegas that fact alone will probably push it to 100%.

She always enjoyed the heli meets though all she really did was lounge and read, and take the occasional walk-around.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:56 AM   #340
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESWLFSE View Post
I did propose the venture to my wife and received a "that might be fun" which is about a 95% in my book. If you can believe that we have never been to Vegas that fact alone will probably push it to 100%.

She always enjoyed the heli meets though all she really did was lounge and read, and take the occasional walk-around.
Cool bro!!! Sound to me like your going!! With the event being held in Vegas and only about 15 minutes from the strip, you will be sure to have some after racing fun as well. So we will see you there bro!!!!
Old 12-15-2007, 12:02 PM   #341
Tech Regular

Anything can happen (financially) since the move to Tampa isn't complete and my wife hasn't even found a job yet, but barring tragic unforeseen circumstances I'm pretty sure we'll be there.

Regarding the fuel tank. The new design leads me to believe that there may have been some complaints about fuel draw with the majority of the mass of fuel well below carburetor level in the original tank.

Wouldn't this be an ideal case to try a pressure chamber to keep tank pressure higher and more consistent?
Old 12-15-2007, 12:05 PM   #342
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to SalvadoriRacing Send a message via Skype™ to SalvadoriRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentd View Post
I never had an issue with the tank bro and it sounds like Balestri didn't either at the Worlds to get 10th in the A mains. So I'm with you my friend. Actually, I still wonder what happened to Balestri in his main, he obviously had some sort of problem with the car or engine. Not sure. If that dude didn't have problems he could have very well been in the top 3 in my opinion following his racing career. The dude rages for sure.

So ESWLFSE, can you make this Vegas race coming up? That would be too killer if you could. Would enjoy meeting you and race together. Especially with our main man Garen!! By the way, thanks for the info Garen on setup for Vegas.
he started very well and I think he was on 4th or 5th position before his 1st mistake..........then he had a long pitstop to repair something (maybe changing tire because thoise lightweight rims are extremely hard and fragile)......and finally the let the car get the dirty part of the track when braking and the crash caused permanent damage........

I don't know about problems with engine during the final........but in the semifinal in 2 pitstops he had the engine readjusted, not to mention one stop and go for bad refuelling and a crash in the middle of the race which damaged the rear end of the bodyshell............he also was refuelling at 3:40........while other drivers 4:30~5min...........
his performance in semifinal was simply incredible after one mistake, stop and go, 2 long pitstops he still managed to finish 3rd (0.5s split to the 2nd) and bump to the main......and also made the best laptime (faster than Cristiani who was by far the fastest in the main final).........

O.S. Engines - KM RACING - CONTACT TYRES - SAVOX - LRP - ARC | Blitz | Titan
SalvadoriRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:36 PM   #343
Tech Regular

Quote:
made the best laptime (faster than Cristiani who was by far the fastest in the main final).........
That says it all! Everything else is just racing but the car/driver was the fastest out there!
Old 12-15-2007, 12:37 PM   #344
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
he started very well and I think he was on 4th or 5th position before his 1st mistake..........then he had a long pitstop to repair something (maybe changing tire because thoise lightweight rims are extremely hard and fragile)......and finally the let the car get the dirty part of the track when braking and the crash caused permanent damage........

I don't know about problems with engine during the final........but in the semifinal in 2 pitstops he had the engine readjusted, not to mention one stop and go for bad refuelling and a crash in the middle of the race which damaged the rear end of the bodyshell............he also was refuelling at 3:40........while other drivers 4:30~5min...........
his performance in semifinal was simply incredible after one mistake, stop and go, 2 long pitstops he still managed to finish 3rd (0.5s split to the 2nd) and bump to the main......and also made the best laptime (faster than Cristiani who was by far the fastest in the main final).........
Ballestri should have win if he using a different car like Kyosho mugen or serpent and pursuit pt-1
E.Rocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:40 PM   #345
Tech Fanatic

Quote:

Well thanks again man!! I have been curious till your explanation of what happen to him in the main and the race in general. Damn that guy can drive. I wish he didn't have those issues, but that's racing you know. Bummer. Eitherway he has definitely proven that the Motonica is a World champion car regardless of his Worlds results. He's already proven to be an incredible driver with all the wins under his belt. Hey Garen, can you get Balestri to the Vegas race? OH DUDE, that would be the shit bro!!! Well, I can dream all I want to. Thanks again SalvadoriRacing for that information. Totaly Awesome!!