R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-10-2007, 01:10 AM   #271
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESWLFSE View Post
Figures soon as I get my car this thread dies....

Dude, hang tight my friend, I'll help you get this sorted. Let me take a few pics of the areas of your concern from my car an post them for you, then lets go from there, K. Relaxe my impatient grasshopper. There was the Toys for Tots race this weekend, and most people are just now returning and winding down from that. So no one is ignoreing you bro. Give me a few minutes, k.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:46 AM   #272
Tech Fanatic

Quote:

Dude, bare with the pics, it's late. Anyway, on the steering tie rods, you can see I used the offset tie rod ends on the outside to help lower the tie rod. As far as the throttle linkage, it's self explanitory. Sorry if I am not reading your post right, but this might help out some. Let me know. However I will probably hit the hay soon. Talk to you soon bro.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:50 AM   #273
Tech Fanatic

OK, no pics? Lets try that again shall we.
Attached Thumbnails
1/8th scale Motonica-motonica-misc.-001.jpg   1/8th scale Motonica-motonica-misc.-004.jpg   1/8th scale Motonica-motonica-misc.-005.jpg   1/8th scale Motonica-motonica-misc.-008.jpg   1/8th scale Motonica-motonica-misc.-009.jpg  

Old 12-10-2007, 01:51 AM   #274
Tech Fanatic

One more.?.?.
Attached Thumbnails
1/8th scale Motonica-motonica-misc.-010.jpg  
Old 12-10-2007, 07:56 AM   #275
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ESWLFSE

Thanks Darren. Everything looks great on your car of course.

OK the ball can be moved by loosening the setscrew opposite. Thanks Kamikaze - I'm an idiot.

What are you using for a front suspension downstop? Unlike any other car I have ever owned and its own rear suspension there does not appear to be a downstop set screw on the front end of this car. I am assuming you have to shorten the shocks to the appropriate length?

Last edited by ESWLFSE; 12-10-2007 at 09:43 AM.
ESWLFSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:12 AM   #276
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:

That is because we were all out racing our cars. Ater racing this weekend I have a few ideas and will be posting some pics in a couple of weeks. Firts impressions of the car is Wow!! This car has tons of rear grip. Now we will work on getting tons of front grip.
Thanks for the great support this weekend Garen, at least we put two cars in the top six. Not bad for first time out, it will get even better I am sure.
Brad
POWER MASTER Fuel, 2mm Designs
Protoform Bodies, Avid Bearings, AMR Engines
YBSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:25 PM   #277
Tech Master

Coupla more questions....The offset on my throttle pushrod would have to be huge setup per the instructions with the pivot/slide block mounted under the bellcrank - so I moved it to the top with a 1mm nylon washer spacer. Is there any way to move the ball on the carb to the bottom instead?

I ASSUME YOU FIGURED THIS OUT ALREADY...JUST ROTATE THE CARB BALL SO IT POINTS DOWN

Also - on the front suspension do the shocks serve as the downstops? At 2mm my steering tie rods are hitting the plastic?

NO THE SHOCKS DO NOT SERVE AS DOWNSTOPS. BASELINE DOWNSTOP SETTING IS +2MM. THE FRONT DOWNSTOP SCREWS GO INTO THE FRONT BULKHEADS...LOOK CAREFULLY AT THE MANUAL THEY ARE THERE AND ONCE INSTALLED AND ADJUSTED PROPERLY, THE TIE RODS WILL NOT TOUCH THE PLASTIC.

The rear downstops are a treat to access. Is anyone grinding a clearance notch in the upper A-arm?

NO NEED TO GRIND ANYTHING. I CAN ACCESS THESE WITH MY HUDY 2MM AND WITH ANOTHER BRAND 2MM BALL TIP.

I WILL POST MORE INFO AND NEWS SHORTLY.

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:35 PM   #278
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to ESWLFSE

Thanks Garen I remember those downstop screws now....

When I installed them I was thinking how trick they were too. Can't believe I forgot they were there. They sure aren't evident at a glance or even a half-dozen intense and scrutinous glances.

Rolling along nicely on setup now. Should be ready soon if I don't get any more stupid attacks.

Last edited by ESWLFSE; 12-10-2007 at 04:13 PM.
ESWLFSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:23 PM   #279
Tech Master

OK, where should I start?

We had our annual Toys For Tots race this weekend hosted by GLARCRC. The club has restarted after several years off, and the new location is at a huge parking lot. The racing surface is very coarse but surprisingly clean. The guys made sure there was an abundant amount of traction compound put down, before practice, before qualifying, and again Sunday morning after overnight rains, so IMO the level of grip was extremely high.
This was my first race at this track, only my second time with the car. Brad T and Mark K also ran their cars for the very first time. We had limited practice time and all 3 of us kept changing setups from run to run. Brad had motor issues all the way up to the mains. Unlike Vegas, we had to run big tires, stiffer rear suspension, lower front roll center, and harder tires. I did not qualify well, barely making the A directly while both Brad and Mark were in the B. IMO Mark's car looked the best in qualifying and he was able to run very consistent laps.
Brad won the B, Mark smashed into a backmarker and broke his car, but managed to finish mid pack, so we had 2 of the 3 Motonica cars at this race in the A Main. During A warmup I realized I finally had the car setup well for this track as I had plenty of steering and could attack the corners without waiting for the car to rotate, and without worrying about the rear from coming around. Also during warmup, a couple of cars had tangled in the infield, no one yelled anything out, and I smashed into one of them. Luckily nothing happened to my car. Turns out the car I crashed into was Barri Baker's car and he had tangled with a teammate.
I ran most of the main in 3rd place, and my car was very good all throughout. I finished 4th, on the same lap as 2nd and 3rd, and based on how the car was driving, I am very happy with the result. My tires were very small at the end, so the car got a little darty.
Brad drove well too, placing 6th. His setup was not quite there but with the time limitations, he did well with what he had.

I'll post a new setup soon, but please note this setup is for this track only. The tire wear on this track is very high (up to 4mm in 5 minutes), the grip was very high this weekend, the surface is coarse and a bit bumpy in places. The straight is very long and the infield has high speed sweeping corners with only a couple of slow speed corners. I'll also put up some photos of my car exactly as it came off the track...

Last edited by garen; 12-10-2007 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:42 PM   #280
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Ice_nl

Picked up my P8.0R at the lhs last week, as the outdoor racing season has already ended over here. I probably start building it in a couple of weeks. It will be the first 1/8 onroad that i will be driving (Have been racing 1/10 kyosho for a couple of years) so ill make sure i take my time to build it. I already read some great info in this thread about the Motonica and 1/8 scale racing in general and it seems it is quite different than 1/10 scale.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:20 PM   #281
Tech Addict

Last edited by mike jones; 12-10-2007 at 07:30 PM.
mike jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:24 PM   #282
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by garen View Post
OK, where should I start?

We had our annual Toys For Tots race this weekend hosted by GLARCRC. The club has restarted after several years off, and the new location is at a huge parking lot. The racing surface is very coarse but surprisingly clean. The Mugen guys made sure there was an abundant amount of traction compound put down, before practice, before qualifying, and again Sunday morning after overnight rains, so IMO the level of grip was extremely high.
This was my first race at this track, only my second time with the car. Brad T and Mark K also ran their cars for the very first time. We had limited practice time and all 3 of us kept changing setups from run to run. Brad had motor issues all the way up to the mains. Unlike Vegas, we had to run big tires, stiffer rear suspension, lower front roll center, and harder tires. I did not qualify well, barely making the A directly while both Brad and Mark were in the B. IMO Mark's car looked the best in qualifying and he was able to run very consistent laps.
Brad won the B, Mark smashed into a backmarker and broke his car, but managed to finish mid pack, so we had 2 of the 3 Motonica cars at this race in the A Main. During A warmup I realized I finally had the car setup well for this track as I had plenty of steering and could attack the corners without waiting for the car to rotate, and without worrying about the rear from coming around. Also during warmup, a couple of cars had tangled in the infield, no one yelled anything out, and I smashed into one of them. Luckily nothing happened to my car. Turns out the car I crashed into was Barri Baker's car and he had tangled with a teammate.
I ran most of the main in 3rd place, and my car was very good all throughout. I finished 4th, on the same lap as 2nd and 3rd, and based on how the car was driving, I am very happy with the result. My tires were very small at the end, so the car got a little darty.
Brad drove well too, placing 6th. His setup was not quite there but with the time limitations, he did well with what he had.

I'll post a new setup soon, but please note this setup is for this track only. The tire wear on this track is very high (up to 4mm in 5 minutes), the grip was very high this weekend, the surface is coarse and a bit bumpy in places. The straight is very long and the infield has high speed sweeping corners with only a couple of slow speed corners. I'll also put up some photos of my car exactly as it came off the track...
very cool.....i would love to see pictures of your car right off the track....
ocktoberfest00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:41 PM   #283
Tech Master

easy there Brian. Yes my point is the traction was high, nothing more, no stones being thrown. High traction does not always have a direct relation with or lead to traction rolling.
I did work on my setup; I ran rear 45's and front 40's with really stiff rear springs.
If you have a problem with what I am posting here, please call me, I have no issues with you.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:53 PM   #284
Tech Addict

Last edited by mike jones; 12-10-2007 at 07:32 PM.
mike jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:01 PM   #285
Tech Master

Whatever...give my number to the 6 people, have them call me.

Here are some photos:

I normally don't put the transponder there...the timing loop did not count my car with the PT on the side so I moved it to the tray temporarily.

that's mike jones in first place... he was definitely a step ahead of everyone this weekend