R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #1816
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesF View Post
I just got my secondhand p81 chassis. Need a bit of work to fix a few bits. I am new to the double speed gear box. My second spur(gear) closest to the engine is free spinning. Is it ment to be like that? So when you are going a set speed it opens and works????? I dont know, any help would be great
Yep, that's all good.
Inside your second gear spur gear (the smaller one) is a clutch. Once your car reaches a certain speed, the clutch will engange and the car shifts into second gear.

When this happened, you first gear will run idle on the one way bearing.

The shift point can be adjusted with the two screws that are holding the 2-speed shoes together (the ones with the springs)
Hope this helps.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:43 AM   #1817
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Yep, that's all good.
Inside your second gear spur gear (the smaller one) is a clutch. Once your car reaches a certain speed, the clutch will engange and the car shifts into second gear.

When this happened, you first gear will run idle on the one way bearing.

The shift point can be adjusted with the two screws that are holding the 2-speed shoes together (the ones with the springs)
Hope this helps.
Excellent so all is good. I have yet another question, the front oneway bearing is working ok when going forwaed, but when I apply the break, the rear wheels lock up, but, the front only lock up in reverse......so the front wheel dont lock-up when going forward but lock-up when going backwards. So to me I only have rear wheel breaks, and all wheels when going backwards? I have check another unbuilt p81 and his front oneway works the same....

Any solutions?

Thanks
JamesF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:39 AM   #1818
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hence the name, one way bearing. If you want 4 wheels brakes and full time 4wd, Motonica makes an optional front one way axle.

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #1819
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by garen View Post
Hence the name, one way bearing. If you want 4 wheels brakes and full time 4wd, Motonica makes an optional front one way axle.
What do you think of only rear wheel braking? Is it worth getting the optional axle for 4 wheel breaking? And what part number is the other axle? And any idea where to get it?
Old 03-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #1820
Tech Master

http://www.motonica.com/en/products/...ptional_parts/ scroll down about half way and you will see the front axle.
You can buy it from your Motonica dealer or contact [email protected]
4 wheel brakes are not normally used in racing. If you are not a serious racer or just messing around, the front axle will calm the car down and is good on loose surfaces or even wet surfaces.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:20 AM   #1821
Tech Rookie

WOW dont buy second hand cars Had to replace all bearings in the wheel hubs, they were never cleaned, and for some reason when this guy accelerated his break turned on??????? Spent the bones of a day taking the braking system apart and the motonica screws are great for running on you. In the end the pads were stuck on with super glue So i epoxied on new brake pads and added a second shim and works nicely. Will need to see how it works out. Second thing was the steering, what a pain to fix, the wall ends were run and had to be retaped. I used a hugh buggy arm and cut it down so it just fits into the gap above and I get a fun turning circle. Then got my gt historical Procar M1 shell and had to build 40mm extension arms and bracing had to redrill the cover and fill in 4 holes But once its painted it will look nice. Was reading about role centre from Garen, complicated stuff. Does motonica have a set-up sheet with different ways to set-up or is it just done by experience? and lastly how about this for an engine? change yyy to www cause I dont have enough posts to add urls

yyy.rcmodelstore.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2473[/url]
Old 04-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #1822
Tech Master

Yes on the downloads, go to Motonica.com and visit the download page.
Other than it looks good and appears to be for rally cars, I don't know anything about that engine.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:10 AM   #1823
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

If anyone is interested

I have a brand new 2wd Motonica classic for sale.

Pm for pic and info.

250$

Originally got it from another guy on rctech but does not look like it is a direction the track wants to go in...was going to use it as test handout car to build interest

We are going to try to get GT class as spec type of class.
J.Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:42 AM   #1824
Tech Rookie

Almost there, just got to make the battery packs and get a heat gun and temp. gun and starter box. What do you guys think of the exhaust cooler? Is it too short? I see people with about 200-300mm of fuel tube where i have about 10cm. Does it really matter? And do you think this set-up is ok?
Attached Thumbnails
1/8th scale Motonica-p1000486.jpg   1/8th scale Motonica-p1000487.jpg   1/8th scale Motonica-p1000492.jpg   1/8th scale Motonica-p1000490.jpg  
Old 06-14-2011, 11:27 PM   #1825
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesF View Post
Almost there, just got to make the battery packs and get a heat gun and temp. gun and starter box. What do you guys think of the exhaust cooler? Is it too short? I see people with about 200-300mm of fuel tube where i have about 10cm. Does it really matter? And do you think this set-up is ok?

Looks good !! I must get used to the GT body though. I would suggest you swop the line around - the long line on the exhaust and the short line on the fuel to engine.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:30 AM   #1826
Tech Initiate

Default New P81 nearly ready for breakin in

Hi: Everyone
New to this got me a P81 a few months back.Born and rared in Ireland a deise man me - thats a waterford man to all who dont know thatNo racing competions held this side of the water I know of. Theres an on-road track in St.Annes park,Raheny, Dublin 5.So thats were I will probably spend most of the summer.Never used on-road cars of this type before cant wait.Done a few things to this up to now I guess; I got a mate to make me S.Steel side reinforcement plates (P81 scribed on em" to sub the carbon fiber ones, made my own custom battery packs 1200mAH, painted 2 sets of wheels,red alloy shock caps,red alloy quick release tabs,installed the 2010 gearbox - runnin 45 and 50 and on the clutch runnin 19 and 16 see how this goes.Got me titanium dog bones front and rear nice upgrade. Got the reciver box from A-Main and came off of the serpent 733 kit fits well no-way was I gonna have my reciver exposed to the element`s and side impacts.Got me the BOSS Rally 7port turbo plug 3.5cc engine "this baby has a max output of 48,000 RPM The body is a historical "Lancia Beta Montecarlo" done in the John Player Special kinda paint scheme.Has any one used BOSS engines and what are they like???..
Attached Thumbnails
1/8th scale Motonica-dscf0001.jpg   1/8th scale Motonica-dscf0005.jpg   1/8th scale Motonica-dscf0011.jpg   1/8th scale Motonica-dscf0012.jpg   1/8th scale Motonica-dscf0018.jpg  

Tracker Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:28 PM   #1827
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Sup guys. I have a few of these Motonicas myself and wanted to know what motor and esc you guys are running in the electrons.I am wanting to run 6s more for straight line drag racing. Also has anyone made the 2 speed work on the electron and figured out mechanical brake setup for it?. Btw I have bunches of parts and pieces if any is needed. Lmk
Here's a few pix of my RS

Motonica P81 RS Electron w/Tekin RX8 and 1900kv
Motonica P81 RS.2 Electron w/Tekin RX8 and 2050kv

Last edited by DanielD; 11-20-2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: add pixs
DanielD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:36 AM   #1828
Tech Master

Shoot an email to [email protected] and I'll put you in touch with someone who knows the electronics side of the car.

Not sure you can get a 2 speed to work on the E car.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #1829
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default motonica p81RS

I've did some research and the car is already in the states and there's aleast one driver that ,I know personally is driving the motonica P81RS in Texas ..the car is a Italian made car so there is going to be a great deal of detail going into the kit that will make the car and awesome machine to drive ...now as for the price its on the high end compared to the other kits ,but besides the price its worth that and more just on the craftsmanship that went into creating this high performance car ....this car was designed for big rates of speed on tight and swoopy tracks....I hope you take more time to study the cars and analyze them more closely so you can come to a precise conclusion that ,this is the right car for you ..
pierre johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #1830
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default motonica p81

Say guys the only difference is the springs cause the manufacturer's all design there springs under certain specs and to try to interchange the springs which are custom-built for that particular car can make setting up the car very unpredictable ...I'm aware parts can be use interchangeably without interfereing with the performance of the car ..the xray guys driving the RX8 are using the clutch system from the Capricorn and the issues were resolved..this is not for every car ...I belive it will take the manufactures to get the car in the hands of experienced drivers to market the car before being released to the general public being the car is very new to this country ..I'm real excited as I said before about the car hope to see it more widely available to the curious r/c guys who are ready to try something new and fast ...good luck guys
pierre johnson is offline   Reply With Quote