R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-10-2009, 07:55 AM   #1591
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Skype™ to Kodak Hodak

tonight after many hours of re-work on the Motonica - worked out where i got robbed for steering, my so called steering servo HORN WAS TOO SHORT!

bought another new one today but longer, now all my seetings on my radio are backed off with some room to add more steering!

Also, i went back to a standard setup, as i think its best to go there for now as i got a few club drivers testing the car like me and they feel comfortable on our track!

Thanks to you all for helpful tips - ill report back soonish for some more feedback and possible videos!

RC - "It never stops" ARRRHHHH

Last edited by Kodak Hodak; 12-10-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Kodak Hodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:17 PM   #1592
Tech Fanatic

I was looking at the site for titan pulley but were do you order them from?
I have Byron fuel 16, 20, 25 & 30
Robert R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:20 AM   #1593
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Skype™ to Kodak Hodak

Hey Guys, got to test the new setup today with fellow racers, and i was rather happy in pants with the setup i placed on the car last night: http://madcap-dezines.com/motonica/K...1SETUP2009.pdf

I finally got the steering i wanted with a longer servo horn, and the car felt great off power steering, but i will look for more on power steering.

Also tested a replica N21-7T Murnan Crank - WOW did it come alive today, the power was really punchy down low and the top speed felt FAST.

At first it was really hard to handle the speed, but as the day went on i got faster and tighter on the apex.

Really loving the Motonica P81 - really happy car to drive and with some minor adjustments you do notice the changes.

One question is how many of you have 2 speed engagement issues? I find after a few laps its spot on in the shifting, but then as the laps grow, the 2 speed engagement changes its setting and comes on 2 early...

if you got tips Monty fans please post here - Cheers
Old 12-13-2009, 01:26 AM   #1594
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodak Hodak View Post
...One question is how many of you have 2 speed engagement issues? I find after a few laps its spot on in the shifting, but then as the laps grow, the 2 speed engagement changes its setting and comes on 2 early...

if you got tips Monty fans please post here - Cheers
I have the exact same issue with my 2speed. After the first 3-4 minutes the 2speed setting changes and it starts to shift gear sooner than at the start of the run. To counter act on this I usually have my setting a bit tighter than I would like and for the first few minutes it shifts later than I would like and as the run progresses it starts to shift earlier and closer to the preferred point.

After attending the World Championships at Lostallo this past August I paid a lot of attention on listening to the shift points of the cars.
Needless to say that the top performing cars were shifting at the exact same spot through out the whole run, without any change at the timing of the 2nd gear engaging, even when the tire diameter was changing.

Any insight on this matter from someone who is sure he does not have this problem, would be a great help.
John Doucakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:30 AM   #1595
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

is there an optional hard 2 speed spring set ? i know Serpent has the hard springs in the 2 speed. the harder spring i guess would counter act some heat from the trans. it could well be heat related, and if the springs are on the soft side, could well be the problem. of course a harder spring will need less preload than a softer spring.

also running AAC Sirio, or if your rich on the bottom end, till temps get up on the engine, this can effect it as well . the motor delivers its power differently.

best to set the shift point at temps, then to have it change too early later on.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:53 AM   #1596
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doucakis View Post
I have the exact same issue with my 2speed. After the first 3-4 minutes the 2speed setting changes and it starts to shift gear sooner than at the start of the run. To counter act on this I usually have my setting a bit tighter than I would like and for the first few minutes it shifts later than I would like and as the run progresses it starts to shift earlier and closer to the preferred point.

After attending the World Championships at Lostallo this past August I paid a lot of attention on listening to the shift points of the cars.
Needless to say that the top performing cars were shifting at the exact same spot through out the whole run, without any change at the timing of the 2nd gear engaging, even when the tire diameter was changing.

Any insight on this matter from someone who is sure he does not have this problem, would be a great help.
Cheers for the feed back "John" - it is an odd one at times, but as "pattojnr" said possibly a good idea to warm the car trans up give it a few minutes then bring back in for fine tunning"

calling a few others on tips aswell.... cheers guys
Old 12-13-2009, 09:26 AM   #1597
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

allow the engine to reach operating temp before adjusting and setting the 2 speed shift point. also, shift point and engine temp will vary by driver. same car different driver may have different engine temp and shift point

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:17 AM   #1598
Tech Elite

Hey Guys just a few better pics of our track, on the Sunday i made the effort to prep the track for our club members on there off day for Test & Tune! I must say givving the track some TLC the grip was rather nice and the cars came off clean!

Enjoy the pics
Attached Thumbnails
1/8th scale Motonica-img_0696.jpg   1/8th scale Motonica-img_0695.jpg  
Old 12-20-2009, 05:02 AM   #1599
Tech Elite

"Whats all this NEW NEWS on the Pro Kit P81"? Just hopp-up parts all in one kit?

Also can i use a Serpent 966 2speed assembly kit?

http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...oducts_id=1888

at our club we have seen 2 x stock P81 2 speeds fail - what can i use alternative as an option?

cheers
Frankie

Also - there is no where i can find the brake 2 x pad pins that we glue in our build up mine came loose some how, not sure but it made a little bit of a mess around that area!
Old 12-20-2009, 07:12 PM   #1600
Tech Master

P81 Pro/P81 are the same cars, the Pro comes with several of the option parts included in the kit.

Not sure if the Serpent 2 speed will fit. What problems are you having with the stock 2 speed? Other than the one way bearing going bad once in a while, I have had no issues with mine, and a little one way oil on the bearing every now and then keeps it working fine for a long time.

The brake pins are 2.5x20mm. There is a part number for a bag of them or just pick up any old 2.5mm pin and cut to size.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:58 PM   #1601
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by garen View Post
P81 Pro/P81 are the same cars, the Pro comes with several of the option parts included in the kit.

Not sure if the Serpent 2 speed will fit. What problems are you having with the stock 2 speed? Other than the one way bearing going bad once in a while, I have had no issues with mine, and a little one way oil on the bearing every now and then keeps it working fine for a long time.

The brake pins are 2.5x20mm. There is a part number for a bag of them or just pick up any old 2.5mm pin and cut to size.
yeah well i thought the 2 speed would be a bit more reliable but having 2 experience drivers myself and a good friend, they just didnt perform to what i thought they would...

In-consistant changing over temps - the 2 x little bastard grub screws that hold the adjustment of the ball bearings always comes loose and no matter how much you adjust it just goes loose - VERY WEIRD!

Anyways i had a look at the shoes they seemed fine, had to remove some as they where a bit close to the casing, and in the end i think the 2 speed may of let go due to my brake pin fall out issue but - looking at my mates car his was all good, so yeah ill try this other make as i got a feelign the measurements looked ok!

As for the PIN 2.5mm i found something around the house, lucky its all sorted there now glued them good and proper this time and passed the info to the local Motonica lads at my club!

On the good news, - found some nice rear end tips, used a very upright rear swaybar setting, gave the car more rear grip, and was really nice on power steer!

SOOON as i went soft "FLAT" it just pushed understeer!

Yesterday - had anther TEST flat 19's in my car, lacking POWER with a very boring Stock Novarossi N.21-7T

While a good mate had a Novarossi 35PLUS .21 9Port hit a very nice 17.3 around our track!

overally we are very happy with the balance of the car as the changes you make does make a differance!

Shal be a interesting season for our club, 5 motonica's amongst a few other makes like 966, MRX, Kyosho & Shepard!

if i dont speak to you all before Xmas as i been under the pump like no other with the festivies build up!

Many thanks for all the help this year "Garen" and the local Motonica Lads!

keep in touch in the NEW YEAR guys and race 'HARD"!

Kodak Hodak
Old 12-22-2009, 06:17 PM   #1602
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to roach
Default p100

hey.. guys any news on the 1/10 p100???
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:02 AM   #1603
Tech Elite

First attempt on Airbrushing - didnt know what to do but always had a thing for camo styles - Oh yeah i had to introduce the famouse Pink in the MIX!

Just needs some engine cutouts and exhaust, a bit of tidy up around the wheel archers and front nose and she is ready once again for some Thrashin!

Last edited by Kodak Hodak; 12-27-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Kodak Hodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:51 PM   #1604
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to staikosn1

Hi guyz... im barely new in that hobby.. i had a 1/10 scale nt1 for about 1 and a half season and i was thinking of swiching in 1/8 with motonica.
I know is a very different think but is true that i need a biiiiiger budget for that scale...???
I mean how you have to be rich for that scale? how much more money i have to invest comparing to 1/10 for each race???
Thanks for understanding guyz!!
Old 12-31-2009, 06:22 PM   #1605
Tech Master

1/8 is not that much more expensive