R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-08-2003, 10:08 PM   #16
Tech Master

yeah, just remember that some engines take longer than stated to break in, like O.S. cv's take around 10-12 tanks to fully break it in
me43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 11:29 PM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by me43
yeah, just remember that some engines take longer than stated to break in, like O.S. cv's take around 10-12 tanks to fully break it in
how about the Novarossi 5S ? It's not stated in the menu, my friends usually use 7 tanks to break in the engine, is it enuff ??
CS Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 11:38 PM   #18
Tech Master

depends on the climate but on most race engines i would say do at least 10 because you are gonna be running it very hard later on
Old 04-08-2003, 11:39 PM   #19
Tech Master

it also depends on how you break in the engine
Old 04-09-2003, 12:04 AM   #20
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by me43
it also depends on how you break in the engine

I saw some expert using full throttle when breaking the engine but they make it bery "rich"

BTW how do you usually break your engine ??
Old 04-09-2003, 12:17 AM   #21
Tech Master

drive back and forth for 4-5 tanks giving it 1/2 throttle busts after every turn then i lean it out slitly from 6-8 tanks then on the last 2 tanks or more i give it full throttle busts hear and there.

if you didnt notice, the way i break it in is the way you control the throttle during a race
Old 04-09-2003, 12:20 AM   #22
Tech Master

o by the way when i said half throttle burst, i meant no more than half throttle burts, might wanna take it easy one the first 2 tanks
Old 04-09-2003, 12:26 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by CS Lo
Any experts out there to share with us...........

Engine maintenance is very important. Running it properly is the first start. You should run it at full throttle all the time. This keeps build up from forming in the engine and eliminates having to rebuild it all the time. As important as running the engine properly is stopping the engine. I wear a necktie when I run my nitro. When I want to stop, I don't bother putting my finger over the exhaust or the fly wheel. There is too much danger in doing that. Instead, I just hold the car while its at full throttle and toss my tie into the fly wheel. The tie will get caught up in the fly wheel and as it winds it up, it will feel resistence and eventually stop. Sometimes it doesn't stop until it has abruptly hit your face but thats ok. Running nitro is tiring and you'll enjoy the nap that getting hit in the face with a five pound car will provide. If the hit doesn't knock you out, usually the tie tighting around your throat will. Don't fight it! Enjoy the nap! When you wake up and if your not in an ambulance, head home for a cleaning session. Personally, I get dirty running my car so I take the whole thing in the bath with me. Nothing cleans an engine like Mr Bubble. Naturally, you'll want to take the receiver out before you hop in the bath. I mean, only an idiot would leave their receiver in when they take a bubble bath! When the tub is full and your soaking away, take off the airfilter, submerge the car and yank the pull starter seven or eight times to run the Mr. Bubble through the engine. Oh yeah, before you get in the bath, you'll want to grab your brothers tooth brush off the rack to make sure you get in all the little nooks and crannies. If you have to, go ahead and grab the Crest to scrub and polish those fins. (Crest is the best but Colgate works pretty well too) This will also give your car a minty fresh scent. When you get out, just use the hair dryer to dry it off licky split. Now the only thing left to do is to get the water out of the tires. Sometimes I leave them in for the next race day. That way my car squirts water and I pretend its oil and I am James Bond. Other times, I want the water out so I take the car outside and whack the times with a meat hammer. Keep doing this until water stops coming out of the tires like ketchup out of a squished pack. Reinstall your receiver and you have a squeeky clean car ready for the next race day. I hope this little primier on car maintenance help!
HauntedMyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 12:38 AM   #24
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by HauntedMyst
Engine maintenance is very important. Running it properly is the first start. You should run it at full throttle all the time. This keeps build up from forming in the engine and eliminates having to rebuild it all the time. As important as running the engine properly is stopping the engine. I wear a necktie when I run my nitro. When I want to stop, I don't bother putting my finger over the exhaust or the fly wheel. There is too much danger in doing that. Instead, I just hold the car while its at full throttle and toss my tie into the fly wheel. The tie will get caught up in the fly wheel and as it winds it up, it will feel resistence and eventually stop. Sometimes it doesn't stop until it has abruptly hit your face but thats ok. Running nitro is tiring and you'll enjoy the nap that getting hit in the face with a five pound car will provide. If the hit doesn't knock you out, usually the tie tighting around your throat will. Don't fight it! Enjoy the nap! When you wake up and if your not in an ambulance, head home for a cleaning session. Personally, I get dirty running my car so I take the whole thing in the bath with me. Nothing cleans an engine like Mr Bubble. Naturally, you'll want to take the receiver out before you hop in the bath. I mean, only an idiot would leave their receiver in when they take a bubble bath! When the tub is full and your soaking away, take off the airfilter, submerge the car and yank the pull starter seven or eight times to run the Mr. Bubble through the engine. Oh yeah, before you get in the bath, you'll want to grab your brothers tooth brush off the rack to make sure you get in all the little nooks and crannies. If you have to, go ahead and grab the Crest to scrub and polish those fins. (Crest is the best but Colgate works pretty well too) This will also give your car a minty fresh scent. When you get out, just use the hair dryer to dry it off licky split. Now the only thing left to do is to get the water out of the tires. Sometimes I leave them in for the next race day. That way my car squirts water and I pretend its oil and I am James Bond. Other times, I want the water out so I take the car outside and whack the times with a meat hammer. Keep doing this until water stops coming out of the tires like ketchup out of a squished pack. Reinstall your receiver and you have a squeeky clean car ready for the next race day. I hope this little primier on car maintenance help!

good one

you must be really bored to write that much, but it gave me a good
Old 04-09-2003, 12:55 AM   #25
Tech Apprentice

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HauntedMyst
[B]Engine maintenance is very important. Running it properly is the first start. You should run it at full throttle all the time.

I get dirty running my car so I take the whole thing in the bath with me. Nothing cleans an engine like Mr Bubble.

Funny way of maintening your car, anyway thanx...
But I am not going to clean my car like your way.....

Old 04-09-2003, 09:05 AM   #26
Tech Adept

Default Re: What to check or do

Quote:
Originally posted by FREAKAH
Burn all fuel in engine/carb/lines B4 storing
Use "After Run" oil B4 storing
Don't run the engine lean
Use a good well oiled air filter and don't run w/o one
Use a good fuel filter
Use the correct clean fuel
Use the correct plug
No air leaks in engine or fuel lines
Don't overheat it
Sufficient cooling holes in body
Use the right gearing
Make sure clutch is in good condition
Use correct clutch stall speed for track/conditions
Make sure drivetrain is not binding
Make sure brake is not on at full throttle(it happens!)
Is there a difference in fuel filters? I"m getting the one from dynamite
nitrosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 10:04 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: What to check or do

Quote:
Originally posted by nitrosaurus
Is there a difference in fuel filters? I"m getting the one from dynamite
Most filters have some sort of small screen inside.

Question:

Has anyone found a filter to fit a R/C Car that has a bronze/porous type element inside? I like the Bronze filters in some Fuel tanks, but some Cars/Trucks don't have them.

Thanks,
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 04:54 PM   #28
Tech Rookie

i have a nitro star .15 fe ... so i dont take care of it at all ... hoping it explodes soon so i can get my new engine ...
Supernitro17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 12:05 AM   #29
Tech Apprentice

Temperature gauge - is it necessary ??

How useful is the temperature gauge ?
It really help alot on the maintenaning long life of the engine ?

BTW I am planning to get one......
any suggestion ??

Thanx..
Old 04-11-2003, 01:00 AM   #30
Tech Master

A temp gauge is most useful in order to prevent motor damage, the method you said you were going to use it for. Just don't fall into the trap of becoming the dummy that says, "on a day like this, this particular engine will work best at 246 degrees while idling for 5 seconds in the shade of the pit area ( )." Don't be that guy. Even if your temp gun tells you that your engine is running at an appropriate temperature, your engine still could have problems. A temp gun is a tool that can't do everything, but can help you tune your engine and allow you to trouble shoot problems much quicker than if you did not have one.

I would suggest a temp gun to anyone that could get one without having to really go out of their way in order to obtain it (mow 10 lawns, wash 7 cars and 4 vans, etc...). The raytek temp gauge you can usually get from a hobby shop is a good and very popular choice.

Pops,
I know OFNA has one of those fuel filters. Unfortunately, the only description I can give of it is that it is on of the 'big' ones that they have, not the 'skinny' one. Hopefully that might help some.

Supernitro17,
that is what everyone does to the 15fe... and boy is it fun .
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote