R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   why are .21 onroad engines soo overpriced? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/160216-why-21-onroad-engines-soo-overpriced.html)

kyosho 444 04-23-2007 07:58 PM

they are strong engines

Grassy 04-23-2007 08:03 PM

[QUOTE=tomkelley]For the US there is the yen, yuan, vs. the dollar. We should be seeing cheaper motors coming from asia with weaker currency.
QUOTE]

Yeah but notice when you buy product of those web sites eg RC-MUSHROOM
all the prices are in US$ because there own currency is worth jack :nod:
any way just my US$ 0.02c :lol:

nitrodude 04-23-2007 08:20 PM

Why would any US company (or any company for that matter) make an engine that is as good as a Novarossi and sell it for a lot less? The market dictates the price. Also a lot of people equate price with how good the product is, so someone that is not so knowledgeable(sp?) might think that the cheaper motor is not as good.

Dredd 04-23-2007 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by nitrodude
Why would any US company (or any company for that matter) make an engine that is as good as a Novarossi and sell it for a lot less? The market dictates the price. Also a lot of people equate price with how good the product is, so someone that is not so knowledgeable(sp?) might think that the cheaper motor is not as good.

well that's true, but racers generally keep up on good deals. Ninja .12 and JL Red Dot engines are selling well.

TomB 04-23-2007 08:26 PM

.21 onroads are more expensive because less are sold that's the only reason. The other indirect reason is there is a false perception amongst buyers that the .21 onroads are more accurately cut, or produced, or researched. this isn't true, just as much research goes into all engines, infact, a 2 stroke, is a 2 stroke, is a 2 stroke, whether the development is with a .21 or a .12 the same priciples will apply almost across the board for what your research has discovered.

Also, a novarossi .21 offorad is made in the same factory, with the same machines as a .21 onroad, the materials are the same. yet the offroad engine is cheaper. They charge more for .21 onroads because less people use them. Buggy is alot more popular.

Taylorm 04-23-2007 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by twiggy
it seems that .21 onroad engines are a lot more expensive than their .21 offroad brothers.
i don't see any difference in cost of materials or the manufacturing process so why are they a lot more expensive?

- ask your local machinist how much he would charge to replicate a 9 port sleeve............ :lol:

nitrothugg 04-23-2007 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by kyosho 444
they are strong engines

:confused:

twiggy 04-24-2007 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Taylorm
- ask your local machinist how much he would charge to replicate a 9 port sleeve............ :lol:

actually i work in a machine shop so i get a look from both the manufacturing side and the consumers point of view.
thats why i said that in terms of cost of materials and manufacturing i see no difference between onroad .21 and offroad .21

you would be amazed how easily it can be done on cnc these days.

quietstorm76 04-24-2007 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by nitrodude

US companies do it all the time. I can buy traxxas and associated products cheaper than the overseas products.

twiggy 04-24-2007 04:42 AM

i understand that it's all about supply and demand but have engine manufacturers ever thought that if they lower their prices then what ever money they lose can be made up through quantity?

team novarossi 04-24-2007 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by twiggy
i understand that it's all about supply and demand but have engine manufacturers ever thought that if they lower their prices then what ever money they lose can be made up through quantity?

maybe NOVAROSSI does not want to make the most engines, only the best engines.
ever thought about that? :sneaky:

M7H 04-24-2007 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by team novarossi
maybe NOVAROSSI does not want to make the most engines, only the best engines.
ever thought about that? :sneaky:

Then they have to stop with there Rex and Top engine line..... and stop with there BIG choice in .12 engines.....

But, since you work there, why can't you just ask?... :sneaky:
(geintje Peet, dat weet je wel....)

team novarossi 04-24-2007 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by M7H
Then they have to stop with there Rex and Top engine line..... and stop with there BIG choice in .12 engines.....

But, since you work there, why can't you just ask?... :sneaky:
(geintje Peet, dat weet je wel....)

stopping with REX & TOP is kinda tricky.
those 2 brands are made to overcome the problem that one distributor could not cover the complete country, France, Germany or the US for instance.
And having 2 NOVA distributors in one country is not possible, so they made those 2 brands.

that explains a little bit why Holland has only an NOVA distri. and Germany an NOVA and REX distri. while Fusion @ USA does all three.

MugenDrew 04-24-2007 09:40 AM

I was once told that there is a much higher scrap rate with the .21 on-road sleeve's do to the size shape etc. of the corrector ports. Any truth to this?

nitrodude 04-24-2007 12:10 PM

If you ask me, thats a pile of bulls$%&t. Im a machinist and I program and set up my own machines everyday, and if done right, and they have the money to do it right, the scrap is minimal. The machines will make all the parts the same, everytime, as long as the tools are kept sharp, and a big company like Novarossi will have a schedule of how long tools will last.