R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-06-2003, 01:46 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Selling my Reflex, need advice on new sedan

i have had my nitro reflex for a few months and while the car handles great i am getting rid of it because of durability issues and parts availability. i am pretty good on the track but once in a while ill swipe something and it seems that all the aluminum gets tweaked. no one carries reflex parts here so it becomes a pain getting parts. am i right in thinking the car is not very durable?

now the thing is, which whould i get next. I need a great handeling car with good durability. I have a TC3 and that thing handles great, but im not so sure about the gear blowing issues i am reading. Unfortunately if you read about any car you always find contradicting issues. these are the cars i am considering and what i have gathered about them from all the posts.

NTC3 :
good: Handles good, somewhat proved design from its electric brother, parts availability good.
bad: breaks gears and diffs, doesnt like powerfull engines, brittle plastic, torque steers, i already have a TC3, dont want twins

MTX-2:
good: proven name and car, been around for a while, cheaper to get now, handles great once setup, parts availability good.
bad: Can be a pain to setup, discontinued... parts availability can become a problem, a 2 year old car.

LD3:
good: cheap and great value, i think handles good?, i think durable?, parts availability good, new.
bad: i dont like OFNA, maybe doesnt handle good?, no cutting edge design (nothing centered etc), havent seen any real driver reviews

VONER:
good: handles great, proven car, durable
bad: Parts availability is bad for me, looks like my reflex (time for a change), epensive

cars i will not consider are HPI (handle like shit), serpent (terrible to get parts), yokomo (just nah...). i am leaning more towards either the MTX-2 or the LD3 but am torn, should i get something else? i really dont want to get a car that will turn out to handle like crap like my HPIs years ago.
compuatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 02:10 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Id get the ntc3 Ae has updated the diffgears so that problem is solved, can run powerful engines since thats been solved, Im not sure about brittle plastic, it wont torque steer unless you tweak the chassi or set it up badly. All you really need to make it a durable car is "the fix" which is $25 for both front and rear shock towers and will prevent the diff cases from stripping.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 04:30 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

I agree......I race my tc3's hard....Don't listen to teh naysayers...half the guys complaining about the tc3 did so cause they read it on the net...

Esp teh mugen guys...go on that forum and read all the fit and finish problems that car has....If you want to stick with a belt car,nothing is higher quality than a Serpent...

shaft drive?...tc3 is the way to go..
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 04:39 PM   #4
Tech Adept

i say go with the ntc3 too its a great car
buggyman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 04:54 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Yeah I would also say Ntc3 or Mtx-3.
Racer-Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 04:54 PM   #6
Tech Regular

go with the ntc3, then v1r, then mtx2, then ld3 then.... j/k muah
penggoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 05:03 PM   #7
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

If you're having durability issues with the Reflex, then you're probably gonna have problems with any car you get. The Reflex, which is basically a V1R, is arguably the 2nd toughest car out right now behind a Serpent.
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 05:44 PM   #8
Tech Adept

from what ive herd......not my experience.....the ntc3 takes some getting used to. ive herd its a radical change from most touring cars handling.....not for the worse......just different......the 705 from serpent is no better than any other impulse....just cosmetic upgrades.....the car i drive is the mugen mtx-3, all these ntc3 guys are gonna say otherwise......but this car is simply amazing...everything on it is top of the line.....its light as hell, i havnt broken a piece.....comes with oneway and diffs, lay down stearing servo......new low cg fuel tank and battery....unbaleivably adjustable......and the best part? the stock handling is absolutely amazing!!!! kenji osaka was blistering fast at winternats......and in the main he was hit.....hard....damaged hispipe so he lost a lot of power, and barely lost it to barry.....it just took the top 3 spots at some big race in europe also.....forget which one......if you go with this car.....u cant go wrong!
Nytrochaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 09:02 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

you cant go wrong with MTX-3, seriously!
RClover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 09:41 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Most important, if you can get parts for your car at anytime, then go for that brand.
xGSiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 09:51 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

thanks for the response, hmmm... so now its NTC3 or an MTX-3. While there is a $100 difference, ill have to think about it. I guess the only thing that gets me on the NTC3 is that stupid way of mounting the engine... i wonder if i can use my current starter box. mtx sure looks good though. off to my thinking chair.
compuatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 06:10 AM   #12
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

ntc3 is a pain to deal with on the starter. If you have other cars you have to setup a separate starter just for it. There are no fit and finish issues with the mtx-3 - the car goes together beautifully. The only issue is some time has to be taken to smooth the brake action- other than that the car is flawless out of the box.

If you were breaking the reflex rest assured the ntc3 is not the car for you. The ntc3 is a good car but it is brittle and is not nearly as easy to setup and go fast as a mtx3 in my opinion. The box stock setup on the mtx3 is VERY, VERY good! If you have the ability to get either, go with the mtx3. I owned 2 ntc3's last year when the craze hit but sold them after tiring of all the problems and by the end of the year was roasting them regularly with a kyosho voneRR. All the top pro cars are capable of winning in the right hands - but you want durability - you don't want the associated.
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 06:46 AM   #13
Tech Elite

mugen mtx3 by far. keep in mind it is the newest design, incorporates exellent ideas into a proven design outcome.

EVERYONE, at my track that got the mtx3 improved their times.
drive it like you stole it!
VenomWorldOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 09:05 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Default Selling my Reflex, need advice on new sedan

compuatic;

I'll have to 2nd what 'Rod B' says. If you are "Tweaking" aluminum parts on your Reflex when you "Swipe" something. Any other Car is going to be turned into a bag of parts with those kind of hits!
If parts availibility is an issue, then maybe the Reflex is not a good choice for you personally. But I doubt there many Cars that will survive the kind of "Swipes" your dishing out.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 03:16 PM   #15
Tech Adept

Default Re: Selling my Reflex, need advice on new sedan

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
compuatic;
But I doubt there many Cars that will survive the kind of "Swipes" your dishing out.
could your car survive THIS?

http://www.teamcrc.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=506

wow!
cybertoolzz is offline   Reply With Quote