R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-05-2003, 05:58 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default Glow plugs

I know this question may vary, but how long should a glow plug last on a nitro car?
alucard13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 11:05 PM   #2
Tech Adept

ive heard that they can last for 6 months but 1 month- 2 months is normal for some people and it depends on how you take car of your car or truck
buggyman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 01:34 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

This depends on a few variables. If you run your engine to rich, or to lean, you glow plug will not last. Also use the right heat range for the right engine. A general rule of thumb is the smaller the engine the hotter the glow plug, so a .12 should be using a hot plug, and the plug will last longer then a medium plug.
nitro dipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 11:35 PM   #4
Tech Master

Default Re: Glow plugs

Quote:
Originally posted by alucard13
I know this question may vary, but how long should a glow plug last on a nitro car?
1/2 of a run to 1/2 of a year. No telling how long a glow plug should last, but most plugs can last 2 months of every-weekend running.

Also the brand of plug can affect how long a plug will last you. Some are more robust because of their coil size or other variables. Try out different ones to see what lasts longest for you (while working well, of course).
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 12:49 PM   #5
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to corvettecrazy

how about not how long they last but how you tell when they need to be replaced without causing damage to the engine.
corvettecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 04:53 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

a Bad Glow plug will not damage the engine. The way to tell if you need a new one is
1. if the engine suddenly becomes hard to start, take the glow plug out and put it in a fully charged glow igniter. If it does not glow real bright orange, you need a new plug.
2. The engine should run at a certain temp. If the engine temp continues to rise even when running righ, your glow plug may be the wrong heat range.
nitro dipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 05:18 PM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by nitro dipstick
a Bad Glow plug will not damage the engine.
Actually, a glow plug in a really lean setting could 'dry out' and burn up, weakening the coil and possibly the coil could just give out and break or detach itself from the glowplug housing. This would wreak havoc, but it is obviously a nightmare scenario, which is more theoretical as no one would let their engine and glow plug go through the necessary conditions for this to happen. If you had a badly made glowplug, this could be a concern, but the manufacturing company would have had to screw up big time.

More normally, for me, I throw away plugs when the coil becomes dark brown from an overly rich needle setting or a long time of use. Also, if the coil becomes dented so that it is 'pushed in' towards the inside of the glow plug body (this is caused by a lot of compression over time usually), then I throw them away.

This is obviously in addition to n. dipstick's #1 scenario in which you should change plugs.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:25 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

i have noticed that my plug is brown instead of silver like it was when new. i'm afraid i might be damaging something. i told the guy what kind of car i had and he gave me the glow plugs. dont know what kind though as i already thru out the package.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:34 PM   #9
Tech Chat Moderator

They is no set amount of time a glow plug should last. It has way too many variables such as the weather, tuning, fuel, etc. Plugs can easily burn out after a few pulls of the start or well over gallons of fuel. GLow plugs arent that big of a deal IMO.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:30 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

this makes me feel much better that my car wont start now ... its about 2 months old and i race it all the time ... so now its ok that i burned one out ,,, fabolous
Supernitro17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 12:15 AM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by TheRagunCajun
Glow plugs arent that big of a deal IMO.
When they are new or in like-new condition, there is nothing to really worry about them. However, if you aren't the greatest at tuning, and you run a couple tanks too rich, you are already losing performance due to losses from a plug that is beginning to gum up. Same thing goes for a glow plug that has gone through a couple of lean runs (though it is not gumming up). When I sucked at tuning, I found myself getting 1 glowplug for my two nitro vehicles every weekend or two. Once performance started to drop off due to a plug wearing out, it got exponentially worse over time.

An old plug with a lot of fuel deposits (oil from the fuel), decreases a plugs ability to burn fuel, and in order to achieve a proper tuning you have to lean out your engine more, making tuning more dificult than it should be. The longer you use the same glow plug, the longer that cycle continues, and it isn't the best thing for horsepower or engine life. Just as everyone has said, if you think its not quite right, just get a new one, its a pretty safe bet to have 2 or 3 in your pit box at a time. Especially if you are new to nitro.
Old 04-09-2003, 05:03 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

how tight should you tighten the glow plug? Also, is it possible to over tighten?
Old 04-09-2003, 05:19 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to RedScorp Send a message via AIM to RedScorp Send a message via Yahoo to RedScorp

As with anything that has threads you never want to overtighten it. I usually tighten mine hand tight or just snug but I never bear down on it to tighten it. Likewise, you don't want to leave it loose either because you'll lose compression.
RedScorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 07:05 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

what i do is i tighten it by hand until it stops, then i tighten it just a tad more, but i dont force it.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:10 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to RedScorp Send a message via AIM to RedScorp Send a message via Yahoo to RedScorp

Quote:
Originally posted by alucard13
what i do is i tighten it by hand until it stops, then i tighten it just a tad more, but i dont force it.
Then your perfectly fine with tightening. Just remember never force anything, if it doesn't go then there's a reason for it.

Well, umm ok so maybe that wasn't how I really meant the wording to sound but you get the idea.
RedScorp is offline   Reply With Quote