R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-06-2003, 07:35 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

i have the 15fe. i dont think i'm too lean because i see smoke comming out even at mid range throttle. And as stated before fuel comming from the exhuast. i may be to rich do you think?
alucard13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 07:38 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to RedScorp Send a message via AIM to RedScorp Send a message via Yahoo to RedScorp

Is it fuel or the brownish stuff that normally spits out when you're rich?
RedScorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 09:46 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by RedScorp
Is it fuel or the brownish stuff that normally spits out when you're rich?
comming out of the exhaust the smoke is blueish white. i'm not sure about the brownish stuff because i cant tell the color. the only thing i can see is that little spurts of liquid come out the the pipe and after a run, the fuel tank is all wet. So i may even have a leak somewhere in the line or tank. Maybe i should replace the tank and fuel lines just to make sure? What can it hurt. At least i'll have a spare tank and lines just in case eh? come to think of it, the other day some of the fuel leaked out of the pipe and got on my shirt and it looked brown to me.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:21 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Default alucard13;

Actually, with the single needle carb, you need to have the Engine excessively rich to keep it from over heating, especially with the single speed transmission. Do the water test with the engine at it hottest temperature. The symptoms you describe sound like the Engine is getting too hot, then Vapor locking. Make sure you have enough airflow over the cylinder head too.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 11:31 AM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: alucard13;

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
Actually, with the single needle carb, you need to have the Engine excessively rich to keep it from over heating, especially with the single speed transmission. Do the water test with the engine at it hottest temperature. The symptoms you describe sound like the Engine is getting too hot, then Vapor locking. Make sure you have enough airflow over the cylinder head too.
When i get home from work I'm going to try a couple things. First i'm going to put a tank of gas in and let it idle and see whats happens. then if it doesnt stall out by idleing then like you said, maybe i am getting to hot. So then i will run it around my hood for a few and see what happens. I actually have the body off of the car. I have been running it without the body when it stalls on me. I will post back with the results later on tonight after i do my tests.

popsracer, r u in any of the r/c mags? when i get home i'm going to check out the latest mag i got (forgot what the name of it is), because i thought it mentioned something about popsracers dad. I could be seeing things, but i'll verify and let you know. If not, then never mind this portion of the post
Old 04-07-2003, 11:43 AM   #21
Tech Rookie

i also have the stalling problem , and now the engine is vapor/hydro locked from so many attempted restarts and no start. im replacing the glow plug as soon as my new set gets here, that SHOULD fix that ...

as far as your stalling problem, i also have that problem with my 15 fe supernitro. mine is too lean , and the idle is def. a little fast... there is a small screw under the air filter to adjust idle speed and all. but dont make it too fast, or the brakes will not be able to stop (i learned this the hard way). definitely have the idle just fast enough that the clutch will not engage, that should be good. i am on a rear exhaust setup, so i have a whole different issue with fuel spitting from the exhaust , mine always spits, but never smokes, (i am very lean , resulting in my overheats and stalls with no restarts)

stay with a 20% fuel or lower, i went up to a 30% due to a shipping error from the company i normaly order for (i have no hobby shops near my school so i have to order gas, it sucks

3 turns out from full close is the normal stock setting for the 15 fe on the high needle,

as far as bottoming out the screw, i think they meant screwwing it all the way in. but im not sure. i know i restated a lot of things already , but im just throwing in whatever i can to try and help
Supernitro17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 11:57 AM   #22
Tech Fanatic

supernitro,
your help is much appreciated. I have adjusted the screw under the air filer, but now that you mention it i may have the idle set to low. I had the problem after break in that right after i started the car the engine would rev up so much that it started moving without me even touching the throttle. it did this also while driving. When i adjusted it i turned it conter-clockwise (decrease idle) too much, thus causing it to stall when i hit the brakes. so i adjusted it the screw so that when i hit the brakes the carb wouldnt close, but when i did it i adjusted just enough so that it wouldnt close. i may have to set the idle a little higher. could the low idle cause it to stall while driving?

yea, the bottoming out thing i dont get. in my hpi manual it says turn 3 full turns clockwise or counter clockwise (closed or opened). but i noticed that even after three turns it will still turn. i didnt want to damage anything so i stopped after turn 4. but i have been playing with it so much i have no idea what the setting it...lean, rich or somwhere in between. I will check the screw out tonight.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:23 PM   #23
Tech Adept

alucard13

u r familiar with the way in which a std screw works - right? as u turn it clockwise the threads of the screw work to drive the screw IN - or DOWN as the case might be - as u continue to turn.

this what we mean by 'bottoming out' - u are turning the screw IN and DOWN until it contacts the BOTTOM of the high speed needle barrel - hence 'bottoming out'. once at this point u r assured that the needle is FULLY CLOSED and at the end of the barrel.

from this closed position turn the screw counter clockwise and count each FULL revolution (not 180 deg - 360 deg!) as 1 turn OUT until u reach the desired number of turns OUT.

k?
cybertoolzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 05:21 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic

cybertolzz,
thanx for the help. on question. i have noticed that one my needle, that it will keep turning, even after 3 turns. how can i tell when i am at the limit? i dont want to damage anything.

but i did take the car to my lhs and found out that i was running WAY to hot..about 290. so the guy tuned it for me. it runs great now. i went through a tank of gas without it stalling. but i do believe its still spitting fuel out. i will test it tomorow and check for sure since its getting dark here.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:38 PM   #25
Tech Chat Moderator

Default Re: fuel comming out of exhaust

Quote:
Originally posted by alucard13
I have broken in my engine and I am trying to tune it out for the past week. I have noticed that fuel still comes out of the exhuast. Even after it goes through a tank of fuel if i flip the car on its side, fuel spills out. Also i have noticed that after a run, the gas tank is moist (i'm guessing from fuel). Could this be from the exhuast? I checked the car out and i see no other leaks.

also, I noticed that my fuel lines are dirty, on the outside. I have cleaned them, but should i disonnect them from the exhaust and the engine and clean them more thoroughly?

one last thing, i have alot of road grime on my chassis in hard to clean places. what should i use to get all that gunk, sand, dirt, fuel out?
That is normal. Dont worry about it. Thats just the oil from the exaust. Fuel lines will get dirty seeing how it is a nitro car. As long as there arent any holes in your lines, u are fine. Best thing to clean ya car with is an air compressor after EVERY day of running. U can also try denatured alcahol or babywhips. From what you say nothing is wrong so keep up the good work. Nothing is wrong with asking questions.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:24 PM   #26
Tech Rookie

alucard -
it may cause a stall when you spin or hit hard braking, i had that problem a little, you can increase the idle rpm , and just turn your throttle servo trim on your radio back a little bit, that will fix the problem. it worked for me . youll be able to idle higher, and the brake shouldnt be affected if it is a small adjustment.

if it seems like it is affecting braking, just tighten the brake a little bit, and the brakes should work good. i had mine idling really fast when the brakes would stop working. so it shouldnt be a big deal to get it running well . i ramble, but do you get what im saying ?
Supernitro17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 03:24 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic

after a run today i tipped the car on its side and the fuel leaked out of the pipe. a pretty good amount. but it was thicker than what it was before going through the engine. Do you think i'm running too rich?
Old 04-10-2003, 01:23 PM   #28
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to corvettecrazy

if it is thicker then it is most likely oil... it tends to build up in the pipe. and when tipped it comes out.
corvettecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 09:36 AM   #29
Tech Fanatic

I think i finally got the car running the way i want. but i have another question. as i was driving it today i noticed that at idle a little smoke was comming out of the exhaust. is that normal? I'm running 20% nitro and 16% oil. I just want to make sure i'm not damagaing anything. At full throttle there is a nice trail of smoke like the manual says there should be.
Old 04-12-2003, 10:03 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Default fuel comming out of exhaust

alucard13;

The Oil and Smoke coming out the Exhaust is actually a GOOD thing, so don't sweat it. When the Engine runs like it's just been spanked and you DON'T see any smoke, that is the time to worry.

Use the water test (spit test) on the Head if you are unsure.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote