R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-14-2008, 12:10 PM   #631
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootcapri View Post
The brakes look cool... but... don't be too concerned about performance... this is still a rear brake only car (like a 1/12th electric pan car) that will do real cool loop-outs if you have more than a breath of brake (like a 1/12th electric pan car). I went with the Kyosho upgraded brake rotor thinking 'this will be great'.... wasn't (but does look cool though). I now have a carbon fiber disk... to lower rotating mass. The oneway front seems to be your best friend in slowing down....just crank it into the corner and watch it corner as on rails and let the turn slow you down a little. If this were a 4 wheel drive sedan with a spool or diff in the front... high performance brakes are the ticket.
True, but you need the upgraded rotor as well as the ugraded pads...what you're really after is improved consistency in braking...not simply braking power...(I have both...upgraded disks & pads on all me cars...Spada, RR-Evo, RRR, & Evolva).
1FastVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:10 PM   #632
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootcapri View Post
The brakes look cool... but... don't be too concerned about performance... this is still a rear brake only car (like a 1/12th electric pan car) that will do real cool loop-outs if you have more than a breath of brake (like a 1/12th electric pan car). I went with the Kyosho upgraded brake rotor thinking 'this will be great'.... wasn't (but does look cool though). I now have a carbon fiber disk... to lower rotating mass. The oneway front seems to be your best friend in slowing down....just crank it into the corner and watch it corner as on rails and let the turn slow you down a little. If this were a 4 wheel drive sedan with a spool or diff in the front... high performance brakes are the ticket.
True, but you need the upgraded rotor as well as the ugraded pads...what you're really after is improved consistency in braking...not simply braking power...(I have both...upgraded disks & pads on all my cars...Spada, RR-Evo, RRR, & Evolva).
1FastVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #633
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootcapri View Post
The brakes look cool... but... don't be too concerned about performance... this is still a rear brake only car (like a 1/12th electric pan car) that will do real cool loop-outs if you have more than a breath of brake (like a 1/12th electric pan car). I went with the Kyosho upgraded brake rotor thinking 'this will be great'.... wasn't (but does look cool though). I now have a carbon fiber disk... to lower rotating mass. The oneway front seems to be your best friend in slowing down....just crank it into the corner and watch it corner as on rails and let the turn slow you down a little. If this were a 4 wheel drive sedan with a spool or diff in the front... high performance brakes are the ticket.
True, but you need the upgraded rotor as well as the upgraded pads...what you're really after is improved consistency in braking...not simply braking power...(I have both...upgraded disks & pads on all my cars...Spada, RR-Evo, RRR, & Evolva).
1FastVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:17 PM   #634
Tech Addict
 
Zootcapri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Utah
Posts: 714
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

I understand all three posts....

Just be careful using the term braking and power in the same sentence as Spada...

Like I said, Braking in the rear brake only car is different than in a sedan with a spool or diff.... Get it on the track... tap the brakes....see what I mean.

I also upgrade the brakes (tried it on this car).
Zootcapri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:05 PM   #635
Tech Addict
 
speedracer1bp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 504
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Spada

Hey guys. Just got my Spada and am putting it together. I have noticed something though. Have any of you had the problem of the front kingpins in the front hubs rubbing the indide of the front wheel?? How tight do you tighten them and still have a bit of suspention??
speedracer1bp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:07 PM   #636
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer1bp View Post
Hey guys. Just got my Spada and am putting it together. I have noticed something though. Have any of you had the problem of the front kingpins in the front hubs rubbing the indide of the front wheel?? How tight do you tighten them and still have a bit of suspention??
where are your pics of it?
ocktoberfest00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:44 PM   #637
Tech Apprentice
 
jbsmith1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 64
Default

Hi, new in this bit, so hello every one.
Just got my hands on one of these, and thought i would share some ideas i have carried out.

I noticed there is just enough space for 5 AAA batteries to go behind the fuel tank, if you use a micro servo...this will give near perfect balance side to side.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...1/DSC00232.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...1/DSC00245.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...1/DSC00228.jpg
some pics of the micro servo mounting...
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...1/DSC00234.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...1/DSC00236.jpg
I also put some small springs between the brake pads (from a 1:8th nitro buggy) to stop any brake drag.
jbsmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:55 PM   #638
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 174
Default

Yeah...I also made my own humppack from 1000mah cells...

Will the vibration be a concern with the mini-servo? I thought the manual cautions against it...

BTW the K-factory pads/springs work quite well also...
1FastVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:48 PM   #639
Tech Addict
 
Zootcapri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Utah
Posts: 714
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsmith1 View Post
Hi, new in this bit, so hello every one.
Just got my hands on one of these, and thought i would share some ideas i have carried out.

I noticed there is just enough space for 5 AAA batteries to go behind the fuel tank, if you use a micro servo...this will give near perfect balance side to side. .
Remember... 3 to 3 1/2 minutes run time out of the stock tank....15 minutes with the Losi conversion (pgs 11 and 12). Then you'll rethink the balance part.
Zootcapri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:03 PM   #640
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 137
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
Guys, you wanna get these, we can start a new nitro class at our tracks..... http://cgi.ebay.com/KYOSHO-1-12-NITR...QQcmdZViewItem i bet my blizzard is faster than yours...............look, still 172 available.........get one now, they're gonna go FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't stop laughing
cookie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:22 AM   #641
Tech Apprentice
 
jbsmith1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastVW
Will the vibration be a concern with the mini-servo?
I used rubber servo mounts from a 1:8th buggy, some servo`s come with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootcapri
15 minutes with the Losi conversion
Yes nice job Zoot. At the moment I`am the only one in our club with one, so i dont want to put people off, thinking they need to do tank mods. I beleive you run 30% nitro Zoot? I will try some 16% and see how the run times are, we don't have high traction here in the UK anyway
jbsmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:37 AM   #642
Tech Apprentice
 
jbsmith1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastVW
BTW the K-factory pads/springs work quite well also...
looks cool! If Kyosho release a spool for the front then i would do that, good find.
jbsmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:07 PM   #643
Tech Addict
 
Zootcapri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Utah
Posts: 714
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Absolutely.... If a spool was available then the brakes would be stoppers and the better pad and rotors would be the ticket.... until then... don't breath on them too hard or you'll loop out....
Zootcapri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:54 PM   #644
Tech Regular
 
n.e.r.d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 444
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

hi guys,

will getting my spada soon,
thinking of longer run-times, what other fuel tank might fit in the car?

any hop-ups worth getting? or is the car good enough in stock form?
and any build tips?

thanks in advance!
n.e.r.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:38 PM   #645
Tech Addict
 
Zootcapri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Utah
Posts: 714
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Car ran some at Vegas... the gearing (and I am running the largest 2nd gear pinion) was off for the straight. Peaked out about 2/3rds the way down the straight. The car was twitchy at speed... worked on it and ran pretty good. I did blow out a bearing on the rear 'suspension' pivot. If I can find one I will try to get video.... If I can find one.

As far as the upgrades... IMO... the gas tank, Blue head is a good start. I don't know what the appeal of 3 minute run time is....
Zootcapri is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kyosho Silicone Lube for 1/12th Dampner Tubes noline Electric On-Road 4 12-20-2007 11:13 PM
wtb: rc gas powered jowel_men R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 10 05-13-2007 09:41 PM
1/18 Electric Powered bpandragon Electric Off-Road 5 04-07-2006 10:22 AM
24.7 powered RS4 Racer 2 bbb R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 05-25-2003 12:15 AM
which powered kit??? famous182 Nitro On-Road 2 05-07-2003 07:19 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:15 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net