R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-22-2007, 10:38 PM   #511
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

[QUOTE=SteveP;3895672]How weird is that?! You quoted my reply, which was posted after your post. QUOTE]

He's in Japan and they are a day ahead.....
Zootcapri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:08 AM   #512
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
How weird is that?! You quoted my reply, which was posted after your post.

Anyway... Yes, we requested a few samples so we could test the car and see if we could generate some interest by showing it around some races and to some key retailers.
That was kinda wierd

I understand the Key retailer idea but couldnt you just import some if some shops were interested. Im guess there would be a few shops with a ciruct that would suport the Spada but i could be wrong as i havent been to America in 7 years. There isnt that many parts that can break and the car its self dosent have a any major problems. The Spada was perfect for me to try nitro. As 1/8th cars are way to expensive and a touring car is a touring car these days.
IM a little bias as i really only think of a few brands of RC cars,maybe its my age but Kyosho is on the top of my list and i dont really care for some of the brands that are sold in America right now. It is just a shame that Kyosho in general dosent have the influence in the market that it once did.
All things said i do like alot of the products from Kyosho. There are a few things missing but that would be in another forum.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:15 AM   #513
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmuri View Post
Finally got time to work on my Spada!! This is how far I got last night. Only real issue so far is attaching the roll bar to the radio tray. Since the carbon tray is much thinner than the plastic one, the screws are too long.

While not an issue, I kind of hope that Kyosho comes out with alloy steering arms, I can't say I am a fan of the kingpins threading into plastic. Seems like the bottom pins could easily come loose.

All in all I am very happy, and the carbon looks sweeeeet!!

Greg

whit carbon chassis have some issue for over heating of engine? handling is better?

Thanks
corally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:27 AM   #514
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jeff whiting

Thanks SteveP we appreciate your candidness and the info. Even though I run for Mugen now I have been watching this thread for a while and really like the look of this car. On a smooth track it should be a blast. Put me in line for one of the first batch you get in. I hope it does take off.

JEFF
jeff whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:13 AM   #515
Tech Master

Quote:
We will continue to evaluate if we can import the Spada, but please understand it's our customers that are making this decision by their support (or lack thereof) for the product.
...customers where?....we can't support or not support a product that is not here.........
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:58 PM   #516
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
...customers where?....we can't support or not support a product that is not here.........
Taylorm,

No more simple logic than your statement. Fun thing, many in the states that do own one have had to buy it from overseas shops (no offense to the fine overseas shops). Many of these racers/hobby people would love to have supported their local shops and bought it from them. Oh but wait, that's right, your LHS does not have the Spada due to Kyosho thinking that the car won't sell in the states. Again, they are telling us what we want and like instead of putting it out there to see if there is a market for it. It is funny how many of the other companies put stuff out there that many of us don't like or want (ie: the HPI RS4-3) and continue to put this stuff out there even thought we tell them that we don't like or want it (either directly or through lagging sales of the product). So, even after all this that we have put out here and Kyosho still has to think about it?!? Wow, I don't know say about that myself.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:03 PM   #517
Tech Addict

Jlock... The sound of the nail being hit on the head. I contacted several LHS's with K affiliation and they couldn't seem to get any information on the car. Ivan (Raindow) had information and product. I would rather my dollars stay local... but... ya gotta do what ya gotta do .... I wanted and took whatever action needed to get my hands on this little rocket. Still wish that I could have bought State-side... but... that was in August and there still isn't a glimmer of hope being broadcast that we will see this car through 'normal' distribution channels.... Too bad...

Did I mention that this car is a blast. Too bad it isn't available locally.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:30 AM   #518
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Thumbs up

Quote:
The resistance to the price and the relatively small amount of shops that would still carry the Spada in spite of the price, is how we arrive at our current decision.
I just dropped over $1000 to put together a new 1/8th on road package for next spring, and most of the cars I have in race-ready format are double to triple the price of the imported cost of the Spada for most of the guys in the U.S in this thread who already have them.

Cost should not be an issue where it is currently priced (with a motor). If the retailers say it is, they are lying and afraid of something new. It's a niche car, no doubt, but so are many of Kyosho's other current offerings, and that hasn't stopped the transport into the United States. Even the Evolva, at cost to double the potential price of the Spada, has a very limited cross section of buyers in this country.

I've already looked into buying one online and have it imported, but to this point, I have been hesitant to pull the trigger, only because the fact that I know parts supply and tires could be very limited, and I really wouldn't be able to race it yet. I love the car and the potential for a limited gas class, but right now, it's just a very cool discussion piece until it is brought to this country.

Bring 'em here and sign me up.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:25 AM   #519
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed View Post
Cost should not be an issue where it is currently priced (with a motor). If the retailers say it is, they are lying and afraid of something new. It's a niche car, no doubt, but so are many of Kyosho's other current offerings, and that hasn't stopped the transport into the United States. Even the Evolva, at cost to double the potential price of the Spada, has a very limited cross section of buyers in this country.

I've already looked into buying one online and have it imported, but to this point, I have been hesitant to pull the trigger, only because the fact that I know parts supply and tires could be very limited, and I really wouldn't be able to race it yet. I love the car and the potential for a limited gas class, but right now, it's just a very cool discussion piece until it is brought to this country.

Bring 'em here and sign me up.
...i'm also hesitant to buy one overseas.....don't want to pay 20 bucks shipping when i need a 3 dollar part.........the cost is a non-issue as stated above.........like Apex said, Kyosho still imports their 1/8 on roads AND 1/8 off-roads which are some of the most expensive 1/8 off-roaders out there...........i can almost guarantee that if i took this car to my 1/8 track in the spring there would be 10 guys that would have one within two weeks......AND this car comes with a motor.......it would be the cheapest gas class to get into........tires...........unlimited source from 1/12 electric.(donuts)........Kyosho.........hello..... is anyone home.............
Old 11-24-2007, 12:17 PM   #520
Tech Adept

I like the idea of this car, but I no longer have a local track where it can be run. I understand that you need more than just a few dozen people that want the car before it makes sense to import it. If I get tired of the car and sell it to someone, then they're going to want parts to support it, and the next person and so on. It's not that simple to just import something because there's years of expected support and costs that comes along with it. You can put me down as someone who would probably buy one if it were here.
rcg33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:41 PM   #521
Tech Master

Hey SteveP could you enlighten me as to how many units Kyosho would like to sell before they deem it worthy of importing?? 300? 500? 1000? 5000? Could you tell me how many Kyosho 1/8 cars (both on and off road) were sold stateside in the US for 2006 and so far in 2007? Surely you must be privy to the #s since you are an employee......still trying to figure why no bringy...........nothing ventured, nothing gained........
Old 11-24-2007, 03:44 PM   #522
Tech Addict

Perhaps they are 'licking their wounds' over the mini inferno... The rumor (strictly rumor) is that it was a flop. If that is the case.... I would be still twitching too.... AND... it is easy for us to tell how to invest their capital... we have no risk. For me the risk was several hundred dollars to bring in the car from Japan and have no class to run it in. I don't do well just running circles in parking lots (unless someone organizes an oval class locally). It was my dollars... and yours if you also brought one in. I am sure that my investment can not compare to the dollars of a major committment to import the Spada must be to K. That's why I suggested ... unless the Mothership K needs big $$ to justify allowing USA K to have it... just bring in 100 (the number I mentioned earlier in this thread) and let the dealers know that they are available... bet you'd sell out quickly... then bring in some more... and parts for the cars you brought in. This way you are limiting the capital risk.

... and make the fuel tank larger

Last edited by Zootcapri; 11-24-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:33 PM   #523
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm
Hey SteveP could you enlighten me as to how many units Kyosho would like to sell before they deem it worthy of importing?? 300? 500? 1000? 5000? Could you tell me how many Kyosho 1/8 cars (both on and off road) were sold stateside in the US for 2006 and so far in 2007? Surely you must be privy to the #s since you are an employee......still trying to figure why no bringy...........nothing ventured, nothing gained........
Why in the hell would he want to give you those numbers, especially on a public forum? It's becoming clear that no answer will be acceptable. I think if you guys worked in the spirit of HELPING to make that case to import them rather than second-guess decisions you know nothing about, then we'd all have a better shot of seeing these things stateside. I'm not trying to start an argument, so please don't take this the wrong way, but this is how they make their living. I don't think it's productive to presume to know better than them about how to run their business.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:50 PM   #524
Tech Adept

Hey Zoot, what's the matter with the fuel tank that's included?
Old 11-24-2007, 05:52 PM   #525
Tech Addict

Absolutely nothing if 3 minutes of run time works for you. It's a tiny tank and the engine starts to lean bog just after the three minute mark. Read back around pages 10-11 in this thread and you will see that I retrofitted a Losi tank and got 15 minutes of run time.... that worked for me.

You may also want to check out the bracing that I did for the front... kept the front belt tight and the chassis from taco'ing.