R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Mugen MTX-4 Vs. Kyosho RRR WC (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/158365-mugen-mtx-4-vs-kyosho-rrr-wc.html)

cortezohhs 04-10-2007 12:42 PM

Mugen MTX-4 Vs. Kyosho RRR WC

Im just Getting out Of My RTR Stage and im thinking of buy a pro kit. At my local Hobby Shop There are alot of choices. 65% Mugen, 25% kyosho 10% i dont know. If I was to ask them it would start a huge debate..... but i like the RRR ..... So any help would be great :tire:

brianhatesnitro 04-10-2007 01:15 PM

Go with what your local shop and racers support, both cars are capable of winning at any level.

rmdhawaii 04-10-2007 01:29 PM

Both cars are good out on the track. It's really just a matter of preference. You can always deal with the parts issue. If you keep the right spares on-hand, you should be able to survive a race weekend just fine. Whatever the LHS doesn't carry, you can always get online. ;)

On the MTX-4, you just have to be sure that you adjust your gear mesh and 2-speed shoes properly - otherwise you may end up with a gear stripping problem. You also have to keep an eye on your side belt, to make sure it doesn't get too loose. Compared to the RRR, the 4's engine compartment is a bit cramped, but it's workable.

RRR is easy to wrench on and really doesn't have any issues. If you get a RRR, I would highly recommend the Evo WCE, because it has all the good stuff - but you can start off with an Evo or a RRR WCE (non-Evo). Based on what people have said, the Evo shocks are a big improvement over the original shocks. The one thing you have to watch for on the RRR, is if you get the Kyosho rear sway blade. Just make sure it's not touching the belt. ;)

IMO, MTX-4's out-of-the-box setup is closer to the sweet spot than the RRR's - but as I said, that's just my opinion.

You can't go wrong with either car.

Dredd 04-10-2007 02:26 PM

if your LHS has more parts available for the Mugen then get that. Otherwise it doesn't matter. I like my Kyosho more than the Mugen simply because it seems easy to work around the engine area. (this was also mentioned above).

GMartinez 04-10-2007 03:11 PM

There both great cars go with your gut feeling or you are just gonna get a whole bunch of suggestions

cortezohhs 04-10-2007 03:15 PM

Ryan41 04-10-2007 04:53 PM

Mugen- 2006 World Champion - Says it all :ha: :D

Although the box doesnt say Tosolini (Kyosho) was leading by 4 laps and his pit crew dropped his car, causing it to break :lol:

Dredd 04-10-2007 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan41
Mugen- 2006 World Champion - Says it all :ha: :D

Although the box doesnt say Tosolini (Kyosho) was leading by 4 laps and his pit crew dropped his car, causing it to break :lol:

Well, I always say not to judge a car's performance based only on who wins a major event using it. You are not them and they do not drive like you. Also I believe it was the antenna that fell out causing Tosolini's car to malfunction.

Osiris 75 04-10-2007 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
Both cars are good out on the track. It's really just a matter of preference. You can always deal with the parts issue. If you keep the right spares on-hand, you should be able to survive a race weekend just fine. Whatever the LHS doesn't carry, you can always get online. ;)

On the MTX-4, you just have to be sure that you adjust your gear mesh and 2-speed shoes properly - otherwise you may end up with a gear stripping problem. You also have to keep an eye on your side belt, to make sure it doesn't get too loose. Compared to the RRR, the 4's engine compartment is a bit cramped, but it's workable.

RRR is easy to wrench on and really doesn't have any issues. If you get a RRR, I would highly recommend the Evo WCE, because it has all the good stuff - but you can start off with an Evo or a RRR WCE (non-Evo). Based on what people have said, the Evo shocks are a big improvement over the original shocks. The one thing you have to watch for on the RRR, is if you get the Kyosho rear sway blade. Just make sure it's not touching the belt. ;)

IMO, MTX-4's out-of-the-box setup is closer to the sweet spot than the RRR's - but as I said, that's just my opinion.

You can't go wrong with either car.

:nod:

Ivan Dickson 04-10-2007 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dredd
Well, I always say not to judge a car's performance based only on who wins a major event using it. You are not them and they do not drive like you. Also I believe it was the antenna that fell out causing Tosolini's car to malfunction.

You are correct. :nod: :nod: :tire: :tire:

Ryan41 04-10-2007 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dredd

Yeah, I was there...his Pit man slipped in the pits, which resulted in him dropping the car and the antenna wire falling out/snapping...causing the car to glitch down the end of the back straight..got worse an worse..and eventually hit the wall..

hobbs 04-11-2007 12:38 PM

both r good cars, so, it depends on ur preference. 1thing u hv to be sure is the parts availability.

i never tried the mugen b4, but i went for rrr bcos many of my local racers went for it. & i still like it still now.

GMartinez 04-11-2007 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by hobbs
both r good cars, so, it depends on ur preference. 1thing u hv to be sure is the parts availability.

i never tried the mugen b4, but i went for rrr bcos many of my local racers went for it. & i still like it still now.

Well said :nod:

Dredd 04-11-2007 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan41
Yeah, I was there...his Pit man slipped in the pits, which resulted in him dropping the car and the antenna wire falling out/snapping...causing the car to glitch down the end of the back straight..got worse an worse..and eventually hit the wall..

Off topic but how does an antenna wire fall out? You mean inside the receiver it pulled out?

About the RRR vs MTX-4 thing...I would seriously look at what is easier to get parts locally for. You can buy ANY car and order stuff online. However, you never know what a special part will be necessary (because it bent or broke or stripped). Then you don't want to wait for shipping do you? The fastest way is through an LHS (if they have the part), then ordering online if there is no availability locally. That's just me, I like knowing that if I break something that I did not expect that I should be able to find it easily. WIthin about a day I can be out again.

tony montana 04-11-2007 05:14 PM

i see your from oxon hill? are you going to race at 301 raceway? I have a rrr wce and it is awesome. I have yet to race it but I have practiced with it and out of the box I have only made a few very minor adjustments. Cwhits hobby shop has alot of rrr parts the last time I was there.