R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-04-2007, 09:50 PM   #586
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Slo-MTX4

They fit so that if you remove the pins it turns back into a oneway diff instead of the locked diff that it is with the pins.

Daniel
Slo-MTX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:56 PM   #587
Tech Initiate

Does anyone run it as a oneway diff?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo-MTX4 View Post
They fit so that if you remove the pins it turns back into a oneway diff instead of the locked diff that it is with the pins.

Daniel
jj_spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:48 PM   #588
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Slo-MTX4

A couple of years ago they were what every one was using, but most people have gone back to geared diffs and lockers, purely for more consistancy, a oneway (most times) will give you a one off quicker lap and possibly quicker race time, but in longer races you cant beat the consistancy of a diff.
Slo-MTX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:54 PM   #589
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj_spike View Post
Does anyone run it as a oneway diff?

Thanks
the one way is better on tracks with sweeping corners and the diff and locked diff are better suited on tighter tracks
chookgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:16 AM   #590
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookgb View Post
the one way is better on tracks with sweeping corners and the diff and locked diff are better suited on tighter tracks
So are you saying that the one way is the go for Mingara?
Old 10-06-2007, 05:07 AM   #591
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy b View Post
So are you saying that the one way is the go for Mingara?
i prefer the one way at mingara and the lap times agree with me, i also tried both at lithgow with the one way coming out on top due to the majority of the corners being sweeping type turns,but on whalan and penrith the locker is the go as the corners are tight and quick changes of direction are required
Old 10-06-2007, 06:16 AM   #592
Tech Elite

well this is what iv seen

spool, open smooth high speed tracks
diff, short tight tracks or bumpy large tracks
1 way, any track you like but you can traction roll easier.

a diff is more consistent than a 1 way though you may get a good 1or 2 good laper with a 1 way.

never have driven on a track yet that a spool works so i have to go to the usa next summer.
but really its what ever you feel is right for you and what the best ave lap times you can get.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:02 AM   #593
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyedmonds View Post
well this is what iv seen

spool, open smooth high speed tracks
diff, short tight tracks or bumpy large tracks
1 way, any track you like but you can traction roll easier.

a diff is more consistent than a 1 way though you may get a good 1or 2 good laper with a 1 way.

never have driven on a track yet that a spool works so i have to go to the usa next summer.
but really its what ever you feel is right for you and what the best ave lap times you can get.
well yet again living up to your name wally, why comment on tracks that suit spools when you have written that you have not had a track that they work on, may i suggest if you are unsure it maybe better not to comment at all
Old 10-06-2007, 07:10 AM   #594
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
well yet again living up to your name wally, why comment on tracks that suit spools when you have written that you have not had a track that they work on, may i suggest if you are unsure it maybe better not to comment at all

Onya Wally!
Old 10-06-2007, 07:55 AM   #595
Tech Elite

its what ppl have said to me
and what has been said to me to run at such tracks.
the tracks i run at we use diffs,its the best overall way to run the car's.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:08 AM   #596
Tech Elite

Quote:
and yet again someone that dosent understands what im saying and bashes me
so funny
what i said was i ran a spool where others ran a spool and i found that a diff was better, so i have not run on a track where a spool is better yet RIGHT
you take what ppl say and you try things out and you do whats best for you to go as fast as you can and get the best lap times you can get.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:19 AM   #597
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

personal opinion;

the locker is easy to drive, and if you change your setup accordingly, you can get a very close, almost identical handling style of the oneway with a locker. you need more rear lift (ie droop screws wound out on rear) as well as the front. the oneway turns in smoother, and there is no "torque style" steering with a oneway that you get with a locker (ie that effect of the car turning into a corner and gripping then slipping, gripping and slipping that you get with a locker is not as evident with a oneway)

lockers also place alot of wear and tear on the front cvd's i found you really need to change the pins inside the cups of the cvd's every race meet to keep the entire cvd as tight as possible.

also i've run cvd's without grease and with grease. Grease them up, or else they wear out very quickly, but grease also requires you to clean and re apply the grease after every race day if you want to get the best life out of the cvd (along with changing the pin on the cup of the cvd).

for beginners, lockers are better, as droop setup is not as crucial. droop setup was one of the things i struggled the most with when i first started, and it is tricky to get your head around droop and it's effects on handling alot of the time when you are new to the hobby. with a locker you can run pritty much the droop screws wound all the way out with minimal effect to entry handling, yet with a oneway droop is vital to set properly to each track or else the car tails out entering a corner if there is too much rear lift.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:36 AM   #598
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Very good info TomB, thanks.
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 02:39 PM   #599
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Would anyone buy a used Teammagic G4S RTR?
NinjaRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:30 PM   #600
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB View Post
personal opinion;

the locker is easy to drive, and if you change your setup accordingly, you can get a very close, almost identical handling style of the oneway with a locker. you need more rear lift (ie droop screws wound out on rear) as well as the front. the oneway turns in smoother, and there is no "torque style" steering with a oneway that you get with a locker (ie that effect of the car turning into a corner and gripping then slipping, gripping and slipping that you get with a locker is not as evident with a oneway)

lockers also place alot of wear and tear on the front cvd's i found you really need to change the pins inside the cups of the cvd's every race meet to keep the entire cvd as tight as possible.

also i've run cvd's without grease and with grease. Grease them up, or else they wear out very quickly, but grease also requires you to clean and re apply the grease after every race day if you want to get the best life out of the cvd (along with changing the pin on the cup of the cvd).

for beginners, lockers are better, as droop setup is not as crucial. droop setup was one of the things i struggled the most with when i first started, and it is tricky to get your head around droop and it's effects on handling alot of the time when you are new to the hobby. with a locker you can run pritty much the droop screws wound all the way out with minimal effect to entry handling, yet with a oneway droop is vital to set properly to each track or else the car tails out entering a corner if there is too much rear lift.
true
but if the track is bumpy a spool dose not work to good.
and i too grease my cvd's and it makes them last a lot longer.