R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-13-2011, 10:50 AM   #3871
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwright View Post
Hi Guys,
I'm putting a new mtx4r together and only got as far as the front end before i found problems.
When i put the front drive shaft in with the bearing eccentric backed right off the belt is really tight, so tight the bearings are clicking.... !!

I have checked everything i can think of.
i have tried new belts.
urethane and rubber.
i have even cut the tag of the eccentric so i can roll them right to the min to get the front diff closer to the drive shaft.
I have tried different chassis's ( i have a few spares)
i ended up putting a few washers under the rear screws of the drive shaft housing to tilt it forward and this is still quite tight.

is this a problem any one else has had ?

Thanks
Steve H
have you use original front mugen belt for mtx4 ?

it is impossible to get trouble like in your situation with the correct mtx4's front belt.

also make sure the pulleys are the correct pulleys !! i guess its 24 and 16.... i dont remember perfectly.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #3872
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Clutch Adjustment

Last week I had to replace the bearings in my clutch including the thrust bearing. The clutch is really tight now with almost now play in the clutch bell. I've tried adding shims but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Any idea why it would be so tight now? Before it seemed like there was too much play but I guess that was because the bearings were on their way out. How do I know when the clutch is adjusted correctly?

Thanks.
Delawareguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #3873
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawareguy View Post
Last week I had to replace the bearings in my clutch including the thrust bearing. The clutch is really tight now with almost now play in the clutch bell. I've tried adding shims but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Any idea why it would be so tight now? Before it seemed like there was too much play but I guess that was because the bearings were on their way out. How do I know when the clutch is adjusted correctly?

Thanks.
thats weird, you must of put something together backwards or something is not sitting properly... make sure you got the right size bearings too... most likley something is not sitting properly... if its really tight i dont see why you would be adding shims.. check your engine collet make sure its the one from engine company not mugen kit
Ghett0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #3874
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawareguy View Post

Thanks.
download the nt1 setup book or the 733, both explain easily how to adjust the centax
and if you still have issues perhaps is something to do with the flywheel cone which is too large in that case you should some 3x5 extra shims to have enough gap!
Old 06-13-2011, 05:00 PM   #3875
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I worked out why my front belt was so tight.
I had picked up a pullie from my spares and it must have been for a different car it was just one tooth bigger it was 19 teeth not the standard 18 tooth.
it just didn't add up and i ahd no idea i have pullies from other cars... doh !

Thanks for the replies anyway...

Last edited by shanwright; 06-14-2011 at 03:29 AM.
shanwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #3876
Tech Addict

Default question about rebound and droop stop

i notice that on mugen seiki sheet up sheet there is no mention of droop stop setting or is rebound stop and droop stop one of the same?
bigtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:01 AM   #3877
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtee View Post
i notice that on mugen seiki sheet up sheet there is no mention of droop stop setting or is rebound stop and droop stop one of the same?
rebound is the same as downstop, droop is another adjustment,
Old 05-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #3878
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to spenzalii

After taking a 3 year sabbatical I figure I may try my hand at some nitro racing this year. My MTX4R has sat in the case all that time, so I've got to change all the belts and fluids, rebuild shocks, and double check to see what spare parts I still have or need. Sure hope I can remember everything on this car!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #3879
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenzalii View Post
After taking a 3 year sabbatical I figure I may try my hand at some nitro racing this year. My MTX4R has sat in the case all that time, so I've got to change all the belts and fluids, rebuild shocks, and double check to see what spare parts I still have or need. Sure hope I can remember everything on this car!
My mtx4 is the first original version. I am planning to take it for spin on the next available race. It has been sleeping for sometime. Everything are still good and working nicely. I cant wait to race this animal.

Btw, what are people suggestions to make the rear tires more stable ? The car has tendency to spin 180 degree on L and U corner off throttle. Perhaps suggestion on how much downstop on hudy block? Thanks
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #3880
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenzalii View Post
After taking a 3 year "rest"!
Spenz,
Great you are returning to the game! Hurry up change the fluids, bring spare belts and get busy racing!
Old 05-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #3881
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurveTracer View Post
Spenz,
Great you are returning to the game! Hurry up change the fluids, bring spare belts and get busy racing!
What's good CT? Yeah, I'm going to try to do a few races this year. Get my feet wet again. Hopefully I won't look TOO bad out there. Most of the spare parts should be in today, the new p/s/r for the plus 12 should be in next week. Then it's getting the new (to me) radio set up and hoping for the best.

I even dusted off the CD3 and gave it a little bit of love. How's that for a blast from the past....
Old 05-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #3882
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576 View Post
My mtx4 is the first original version. I am planning to take it for spin on the next available race. It has been sleeping for sometime. Everything are still good and working nicely. I cant wait to race this animal.

Btw, what are people suggestions to make the rear tires more stable ? The car has tendency to spin 180 degree on L and U corner off throttle. Perhaps suggestion on how much downstop on hudy block? Thanks
Hmmm. That's odd. Post up your setup and what shore tires you're working with.

Most of the parts came in on Friday. Replaced the 2 speed clutch, rebuilt the motor and changed the gears. Today or tomorrow it's on to the belts and the shocks. Then finding time to break in the motor.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #3883
kmh
Tech Addict

whats up Spence. Most of the old 301 crew has been racing at Blue Diamond. The track has been renovated and is very nice. If you can make your way up to practice or maybe we will see you at the next club race. Ken H.
kmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #3884
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

this is so cool!
VentureXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #3885
Tech Master

Ken! What's good bro! I'm planning on making my trip to DE next month. I'll do the initial shakedown/race/embarrass myself down in VA on the 20th, but already plan on trying to make it up to DE in June. Just tell the fellas don't laugh too much when I get there! Let me know when you plan on going to practice and I"ll see what I can do.