R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-28-2010, 03:37 AM   #3526
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576 View Post
Where do you put the 5x8x2.5 bearing ?
Come on, how many possibilities are there?

I drilled the holes where the outdrives go through to 8mm and put a bearing on the inside and the outside. (both diff halfs)

Now the outdrive ride on bearings which aligns them better and they are not affected by expanding plastic, when the diff gets warm (and it does)
Attached Thumbnails
Mugen MTX-4R-rear-diff.jpg  
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:56 AM   #3527
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post

I drilled the holes where the outdrives go through to 8mm and put a bearing on the inside and the outside. (both diff halfs)

Now the outdrive ride on bearings which aligns them better and they are not affected by expanding plastic, when the diff gets warm (and it does)
Oh I see now.......

You germans are very good engineers
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:13 PM   #3528
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

If MTX-5 have MRX-5 design will best !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #3529
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post

Pretty clever. Have you put any thought into changing the internal gear ratio of the Mtx4r from 2.16 down to 2.05? Any thoughts ? is it worth it??

Pass you soon...
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #3530
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-bump View Post
Pretty clever. Have you put any thought into changing the internal gear ratio of the Mtx4r from 2.16 down to 2.05? Any thoughts ? is it worth it??

Pass you soon...
A few posts back I believe I posted what you need to do this.

You'll need a 20T Brake Pulley, Zeppin or Team Titan makes an aftermarket one. MRX4X has a 20T brake pulley, so you can get the pulley set.

You will also need a 19T pulley (instead of 18T) for the outside of the main shaft. You could also use a 23T pulley (instead of 24T) but due to the length of the belt, I would advice to go with a 19T.

Also, with the 20T pulley, your rear belt will be very tight. This is solved by using MRX4's Diff Eccenters and placing them completely facing backwards. You can also use S720's aluminum diff eccenters but you will need to dremmel a bit of the rear diff case cover, again place them completely backwards.

This modification, I came up with it when I came up with adapting a Serpent Transmission/Clutch on the MTX-4R.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:09 PM   #3531
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riketsu View Post
Hey guys, for those of you that have adapted a Serpent or Kyosho transmission to your cars. You will probably notice that these two brands (S and K) have their transmission set for a lower gear ratio, as low as 2.

A Mugen car has a ratio of 2.158 and as you will probably notice, you will run out of top speed in fairly average size tracks.

Two pulleys need to be changed in the internal ratio in order to bring it lower.

In my case, I changed it from 2.158 to 2.05.

What you need is:
-20T Brake Pulley
-19T Rear Side Pulley or 23T Front Side Pulley (These pulleys are the ones that run on the side belt, you need to change ONE not BOTH)

Here is a few options you have:

For the Brake 20T pulley
-Mugen MRX-4X pulley can be adapted no problem
-Team Titan or Zepping 20T Aluminum Pulley can also be used
-Xray NT1 has a 20T brake pulley, but you may need the NT1 brake adapter and possibly use a NT1 rear belt due to width. (Never tried this one myself)

For the Side Pulley
-MTX-3 Pulley set has the 19T pulley
-3Racing makes an aluminum 23T pulley

Inconveniences with belt tensions

From 19T to 20T (Brake Pulley)
You can resolve this two ways:
-You can use a Kyosho Rear Belt which is 1 tooth longer
-Or you can get Serpent's Aluminum Eccentrics which allow the Diff to sit higher and forward in order to lower the tension. Other modifications to the Rear diff cover need to be done in order to have a smooth run. In my case, I only have one belt tension set which is having the eccentrics tab completely backwards.

From 18T to 19T (Side Pulley) (Option 1)
-Mugen Belt is really really long, longer than it should be in my opinion. So using a 19T side pulley presents no inconvenience to the belt as this can be adjusted using the Belt tensor.

From 24T to 23T (Side Pulley) (Option 2)
-This might present a problem, because it means the belt will be very loose. I have not tried this one myself yet, but if any problem arises, Kyosho's side belt is 1 tooth less than the Mugen Belt and will probably fit there.
Found my old post.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #3532
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Quote:

You'll need a 20T Brake Pulley, Zeppin or Team Titan makes an aftermarket one. MRX4X has a 20T brake pulley, so you can get the pulley set.

You will also need a 19T pulley (instead of 18T) for the outside of the main shaft. You could also use a 23T pulley (instead of 24T) but due to the length of the belt, I would advice to go with a 19T.

Also, with the 20T pulley, your rear belt will be very tight. This is solved by using MRX4's Diff Eccenters and placing them completely facing backwards. You can also use S720's aluminum diff eccenters but you will need to dremmel a bit of the rear diff case cover, again place them completely backwards.

This modification, I came up with it when I came up with adapting a Serpent Transmission/Clutch on the MTX-4R.
Yes, I had saved your original post some time ago. I was going to give it a shot but never followed up on it. I was wondering if the Shepherd 20t pulley would work; but not sure if it would fit a mugen Mtx4r. That one pulley is alot cheaper rather than buying the whole set for a Mrx4x. I was also going to go one less tooth on my pinions.

Thanks for the reply. How did yours turnout. I'm only trying this to see what the performance difference is. I do not have any gear stripping issues(Knock on wood)
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo

Last edited by lil-bump; 03-01-2010 at 04:30 PM.
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:14 PM   #3533
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-bump View Post
Yes, I had saved you original post some time ago. I was going to give it a shot but never followed up on it. I was wondering if the Shepherd 20t pulley would work; but not sure if it would fit a mugen Mtx4r. That one pulley is alot cheaper rather than buying the whole set for a Mrx4x. I was also going to go one less tooth on my pinions.

Thanks for the reply. How did yours turnout. I'm only trying this to see what the performance difference is. I do not have any gear stripping issues(Knock on wood)
Performance wise, the car felt up to par with the rest, Kyoshos/NT1s/733s. In terms of acceleration and top speed. Its really another fine tuning for your gear ratios. Lets you get a ratio in between what you already have.

I am running now Xray, but there are a few top drivers here that are using that conversion. With or without an S-transmission.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:41 AM   #3534
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Quote:
Performance wise, the car felt up to par with the rest, Kyoshos/NT1s/733s. In terms of acceleration and top speed. Its really another fine tuning for your gear ratios. Lets you get a ratio in between what you already have.

I am running now Xray, but there are a few top drivers here that are using that conversion. With or without an S-transmission.
Great info guys.
We are going to have the B-Euros at Lostallo in May and that might just be what we need for those monster straights.

Thx.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #3535
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

what an off season, glad to be back!
gentleman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:07 AM   #3536
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to spenzalii

Quote:

Hmmm. I have to go over my Mugen for the new season, so I may give this a shot. Now to calculate the gear ratios and figure out what gearing would work best (and compare them to Xrays and Kyoshos to see where they're at).
After being out of racing for almost a year, I've almost forgot where to start!
Old 03-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #3537
Tech Apprentice

Default MTX-4R Roller

Hey guys,

I have a very good condition roller with some extra parts for sale. Check it out in the For Sale thread under Mugen MTX-4R
Spec-R R1
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #3538
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Found my old post.
Any change you have the part number for the Kyosho side belt that has 1 less tooth than the Mugen belt? I really hate the Mugen's side belt for being too long.
Pyrosas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #3539
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrosas View Post
Any change you have the part number for the Kyosho side belt that has 1 less tooth than the Mugen belt? I really hate the Mugen's side belt for being too long.
get the zeppin for the RRR, works perfectly when using 24t pulley1 is the same as kawaharas low friction!
Old 03-03-2010, 10:36 PM   #3540
Tech Rookie

Exclamation

good .... excuse me change the subject, but what is the serpent Transmicion of using for the MTX-4R? the 733 or 720? thank you ..
OMAR PARIS is offline   Reply With Quote