Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-24-2009, 05:21 AM   #2716
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default MTX4R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperSkull View Post
Hey Guys,
I have a really bad and unknown problem going on with my car. Every single race i do i strip both 1st and 2nd gear. I have tried many things to fix this problem but nothing has worked. I have put brand new bearings in my engine. put brand new bearings in my clutch bell, have made sure my engine is square and meshed properly(done this many times), changed my EPA so that it doesn't pull the engine under throttle and brake, checked the bearing in the 2 speed housing, redone my clutch setup and made sure i had little end play, only 0.4mm. I have pretty much done everything i think. I just had a race meeting on sunday and i stripped 5 spur gears. What could be the problem? Maybe the clutch bell is warped??

Thanks,
Tim
Did you check the rear layshaft<the one the two speed and brakes are on> If this has a slight bend it will strip spur gears. I have also had a bad clutch bell and that will make the spur gears strip out.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:03 AM   #2717
CL
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Hey Guys,
I have a really bad and unknown problem going on with my car. Every single race i do i strip both 1st and 2nd gear. I have tried many things to fix this problem but nothing has worked. I have put brand new bearings in my engine. put brand new bearings in my clutch bell, have made sure my engine is square and meshed properly(done this many times), changed my EPA so that it doesn't pull the engine under throttle and brake, checked the bearing in the 2 speed housing, redone my clutch setup and made sure i had little end play, only 0.4mm. I have pretty much done everything i think. I just had a race meeting on sunday and i stripped 5 spur gears. What could be the problem? Maybe the clutch bell is warped??

Thanks,
Tim
I would change the 2 plastic shoes with the metal ball inside the two speed, the first gear housing with the one way, and the layshaft. Sometime the 2 speed is not shifting smoothly sticking between shifting causing strip gears when going from 1st -> 2nd -> 1st gear.
CL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:42 AM   #2718
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Thanks,
Tim
IMO .4mm is too much, my bell hits the 2nd gear housing at .4...I run it at .3mm. I run black marker on the 2nd housing then I can take a quick look and see if the clutch touched it
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:12 PM   #2719
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL View Post
I would change the 2 plastic shoes with the metal ball inside the two speed, the first gear housing with the one way, and the layshaft. Sometime the 2 speed is not shifting smoothly sticking between shifting causing strip gears when going from 1st -> 2nd -> 1st gear.
+1
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:48 PM   #2720
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

good luck on finding the stripping gear solution. I havent been able to fiqure it out. I dont even wanna run the car because I know it is gonna strip 2nd gear. It shouldnt be this way. Mugen needs to address this issue. I know they put out updated spurs and the other part but it still doesnt work.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #2721
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
good luck on finding the stripping gear solution. I havent been able to fiqure it out. I dont even wanna run the car because I know it is gonna strip 2nd gear. It shouldnt be this way. Mugen needs to address this issue. I know they put out updated spurs and the other part but it still doesnt work.
I have not stripped one gear in 2+years running every other weekend, with JP eagle power....
So the problem can be solved...
I haven't even had to put the new 2 speed or spurs on
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #2722
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Where I race there are many people that race with the Mtx4 and they do well with the car without stripping gears you might want to get some help from your LHS..
Old 02-24-2009, 07:36 PM   #2723
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

if you think you have an issue with the engine moving, try using traxxas part #4859 flat head screws it uses a 2.5 hex that way you can tighten it up a bit more than you can on the 2.0 ones. but you have to cut the rear ones down to size cause it will bottom down against the top screws
Old 02-24-2009, 09:05 PM   #2724
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Thanks,
Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
I am typing this because I was nicknamed 'the stripper' locally. Since then I have not stripped any gears then.

Basic things I looked out for was (not in order of importance as everything is important)

- Chassis is not warped
- All bearings are working well
- All plactics are good with no screws loose and stripped (especially with the rear bulkhead area)
- Good meshing ( alittle play between the spurs and pinions)
- There should be a good space between the right brace and your 2nd speed housing. (I found that my 2nd gear housing was rubbing against the brace and causes the stripping) [You may also want to try filing abit off the side of the brace where its nearest to the 2nd gear housing)
- Bearings in the 1st and 2nd gear housing are well lubed
- Screws securing the engine and mounts are secured

It was a tedious process trying to find the cure but i did eventually after stripping tons of 2nd gears. But in the end it was good statisfaction that i dun suffer from it anymore. It also taught me to be very patient and precise on how i fixed my kit everytime i strip the car to check for wear and tears.

Hope this helps and happy racing!!
Old 02-25-2009, 03:51 AM   #2725
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm going to sit down on the weekend and go through the car and check out some of the things that you guys have mentioned, especially the layshaft.

Cheers,
Tim

*For Sale, CT4S with a heap of parts*
ViperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:49 AM   #2726
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

hey guys, i need to drop about 80-100 grams on my MTX4-r its about 1850 and i need it to be just a bit more than 1725 and was wondering what is the best way to do it.

Mitchell
==== Pro Buggy Rc, Pitsworth - for all my RC needs =====
NiTrO BoOsTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:31 AM   #2727
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to va_connoisseur
Default Shock rebuild

Hey Folks,

I bought my MTX4R in summer '06, learned to drive it in the fall, but sat out the entire '07 season.

The car sat on a stand, off the wheel for the past 14 months. Will I need to rebuild the shocks or just refill them with fresh shock oil? Also what other maintence should I do? It was "winterized" when I put it away in '06 (hence the reason it was on a stand with the tires off and engine flushed)

Thanks.
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:36 AM   #2728
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTrO BoOsTeR View Post
hey guys, i need to drop about 80-100 grams on my MTX4-r its about 1850 and i need it to be just a bit more than 1725 and was wondering what is the best way to do it.

Mitchell

Titanium Pivot Balls..... I think that alone should get you close to your goal.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:55 AM   #2729
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
Titanium Pivot Balls..... I think that alone should get you close to your goal.
40% weight savings is gooooood. So did my drive last sunday make you laugh?

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:18 PM   #2730
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7ttlm View Post
40% weight savings is gooooood. So did my drive last sunday make you laugh?

I missed your drive, I was watching the 8th scales going around the track....

See you at CP this weekend?