R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #2566
Tech Adept

i just moved the 2mm caster clip from behind the top arm to in front of the arm. that way it is the same as the stock caster, very stable
Old 02-03-2009, 01:18 PM   #2567
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardns View Post
i just moved the 2mm caster clip from behind the top arm to in front of the arm. that way it is the same as the stock caster, very stable
right, but if you ever needed/wanted to increase caster, you would need to cut up top too, that's what I was getting at.
Baedarlboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #2568
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I love this idea. I can't wait to try it on my local track. Seems like i'm always looking for more steering(I've never had a loose car). Thanks to whoever thought of this. BTW, cutting the arm shorter makes more sense to me than cutting the bulkhead. When you guys originally started talking about it, I was assuming that's what was done. Good thinking!

MINO Racing
JetMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:37 AM   #2569
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rcrevolution

wow this car is already alot cheaper than I thought it would be, is there a new MTX-5 coming out in 2009?
rcrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #2570
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrevolution View Post
wow this car is already alot cheaper than I thought it would be, is there a new MTX-5 coming out in 2009?
Why, thinking of switching brands?
Old 02-04-2009, 03:29 PM   #2571
Tech Master

i currently done have a brand, but I would hate to buy a kit no matter who its from just to have it replaced by something better 3 months later...
Old 02-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #2572
Tech Addict

Well, if you want to wait, Serpent and Capricorn are about to drop new designed cars, so if that's what you're after.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:10 PM   #2573
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

why how much are the 4r's going for now
Old 02-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #2574
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
why how much are the 4r's going for now
For the price it is going for? you will be surprised.
http://kamikazercracing.com/proddeta...?prod=mtx4rkit
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:35 PM   #2575
Tech Master

is this car still a good buy? I heard it was the world champ for 2008?

and no news on a new mugen 1/10th right? I think im going mugen secodn I sell my TM, so many peopel I know have or had mugens and never had an issue and they are supported around here.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:31 AM   #2576
Tech Addict

Quote:

and no news on a new mugen 1/10th right? I think im going mugen secodn I sell my TM, so many peopel I know have or had mugens and never had an issue and they are supported around here.
I like mine, and all the top brands are very similar, and can all be top contenders....I would base my purchase on, what do most people run in your area, and how good is local part support. I know online stores carry a slew of parts for every car, but sometimes, it's just nice to support the local hobby shops. And having people with experience is nice for advice on setup for the particular local tracks. So I don't know if this helps or not, but I think all the top brands can be WC, it's just a matter of who can afford the best driver to take them there.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #2577
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to xtopher_aaron

Quote:

If it helps, heres how i got about getting my MTX-4r:

I was hell bent on getting into RC's because a few guys in my family were adament about me getting into the hobby. So i searched all over town for reviews and this and that, I came across the X-Ray NT1.

God, that car just looked amazing. The specs were killer, i just went on and on reading about it. I found that there was a store here (RC Planet, M'sia) that carried Xray cars and parts, so i went to see them and placed an order because it wasnt in stock, they said it would arrive in 3 weeks time.

In the mean time, my dad who already had some experience with RCs and has worked with cars of all sorts all his life was also snooping around RC stores looking for the Xray and where we could get one. Finally he went down to the track where we race, the LHS there dealt with Mugens mostly. He convinced my dad that getting a car that your LHS supports is a good deal because of parts availability. My dad told me about this MTX4R and how good it was, but i just couldnt believe it, because every site i went to, had very little specs about the car, so it didnt seem so appealing. To my knowledge, if you have great specs in your car, you would want it known online.

I waited the 3 weeks, and no Xray. I couldnt take it anymore and went for the Mugen. At first I was regretting not waiting a little longer (I didnt know a Mugen from a HPI back then).

We built the car, raced it, I fell in love with it. I went back the other day to check on the Xray to see if it has arrived, and nothing, still nothing. Thank god I didnt wait..

As for the car itself, I cant imagine anyone regretting buying it. Handles like a dream, requires minimal hop ups to get in the ring with the big boys, and is tougher than anything ive known (Brand new driver with a freaking fast car, so yea, the car has been tested.. hahaha)..

As my driving gets better, the car becomes more and more amazing, as you learn the car, you will see what great work Mugen has done to come up with the car..

I really cannot say enough about this car. Maybe I dont know the V-1RRR's and co, but I dont see why i would have to.. Im not changing brand for nothing!

Go Mugen and go fast i'd say.. Sorry for the terribly long post..
Cheers!
Old 02-05-2009, 12:07 PM   #2578
Tech Master

thanks, I know the mugen is already fast but when you see cars like the g4+ EVO and nt1 008 that have all these nice extra features, like the G4+ EVO has the new transmission, improved UFO clutch, lightweight everything out the box, and then the mugen mtx4-r doesnt, but has them available, it makes you think they are there for a reason and will make the car alot better.

as for LHS parts support, I don't think I have any more LHS, i have a hobby town USA nearby but if its not hpi, traxxas, or team AE they never heard of it.

How does the Xray NT1 008 compare to the MTX-4R in terms of realiblity, damage, and handling? I mean its only $40 more...

but in reality, when it comes down to what to buy, all these cars, the mugen,kyosho, xray, team magic, are all so very similar its really hard to make a choice, I mean the difference between some models is non exsistant.

I know some people who swear by mugen, I have seen them in action they dont break often, but I have also seen some issues with it at the track, might have been driver error, but who knows, I never broke a single part on my g4S until a dog bone fell out due to my error and I went into torque steer into a barrier at 45mph and snapped a shock tower.

The Xray is always well built, has pretty much all the hop ups on it, unique parts like their steel, Mugen is always for some weird reason just as good as the other cars but with less parts on it, where some use c/f mugen uses plastic, but it still handles just as well..
Old 02-05-2009, 12:23 PM   #2579
Tech Addict

It tells you something when there isn't much to fix on the car, that it was made right the first time...LOL
Same thing with serpent, they have a small amount of hop ups, but that car is awesome right out of the box...most these car s are, and just depends on the driver and setup really.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:10 PM   #2580
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Here is my Mugen story:
I was racing electric off road and later sedan for a loong time and I never had the urge to try nitro.
When I lived in South Carolina, we had a guy called Robin Nelson there who owned a LHS, and kept telling me that electric cars are crap and that real men drive nitro cars

After he wound me up for quite some time, I gave in a bought a MTX2 with the MT12 engine. I went to the Sugar Bowl in Atlanta with those guys for my very first nitro race. I had no freaking clue how an engine was tuned or how foams workde, but I won the race, lapped the entire field and set a new track record with my box stock MTX2.

As you can imagine, I was hooked. So, being an electric racer, I started to hop up that Mugen with every piece of aluminum and other bling that was available.
Fact is that the car was getting slower all the time!!

That's when I first realized, that Mugen cars are excellent right out of the box.
When the MTX3 came out, I thought, what could be so different about that new car, that I would ever give up my trusted MTX2. The first day on the track, all the MTX3's put a lap on me.
I asked Uriah Murnan after the race if I could test drive his MTX3. After that I was sold on that car as well. It was just soooo much faster than the old one.
That's when I once more realized that Mugen is not cranking out cars every year to keep us happy, but only when the managed to improve it over the predecessor, big time.

The exact same thing happened when the MTX4 was released, which was in 2005. Yeah that's right, the MTX4 is now in it's 5th season and it's still winning races left and right.

There was never a car in those 11 years I am racing nitro TC now that blew the doors off of any of the Mugens.

One car I tried as a second car to my MTX 3 was the NTC3. Fast car but just never reliable.

The is a saying: Asphalt or dirt, Mugen make them hurt
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote