R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-16-2008, 03:41 PM   #2371
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7ttlm View Post
no doubt, it breaks less in my hands anyhow lol.. plastics are more flexible.. i admit it looks alot like a mugen / kyosho
the only real difference in the cars is the roll center adjustments, many of my fellow racers use the xray guide with their mtx4s.

but when the 5 comes out, hahahaaaaa, prepare for some HEAT

the only thing i can saw was weak on the mtx4 was the gears.... besides that, i dont see any other cars that can take a beating and keep rolling like a MOO-gen
gentleman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:44 PM   #2372
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The replacement is not due to maintenance. If there are no better alternatives, I will just purchase the original ones. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleman81 View Post
i have never seen them fail in any regular time.
depends on how much stuff you hit?
a well placed smack into a board or a shot from behind from another car will snap one. just run them until they fail, or if you tear a corner off your car in a crash, it wont hurt to replace. but a lot of work to just change them as maintenence i think
cvccsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:25 PM   #2373
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvccsi View Post
The replacement is not due to maintenance. If there are no better alternatives, I will just purchase the original ones. Thanks.
cvccsi,

As gentlemen81 suggested, stay with the Original Mugen damper shafts as they work well with no problems.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:29 PM   #2374
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C. View Post
cvccsi,

As gentlemen81 suggested, stay with the Original Mugen damper shafts as they work well with no problems.
so when is the 5 due out? lol

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:32 PM   #2375
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C. View Post
cvccsi,

Thanks.
cvccsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:57 PM   #2376
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvccsi View Post
Yes, better do that.

less headache wandering around what fit and what not.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:15 PM   #2377
Tech Champion

Quote:
the only thing i can saw was weak on the mtx4 was the gears....
The problem is not the quality of plastic gears. The problem is the gap between clutch bell housing and 2nd gear housing. As we already know, they are touching in most cases. When the chassis flexes, the chance of getting broken spur gear increase.

Perhaps one way to reduce the risk of getting broken spur gear is increasing the size of spur gear and pinion gear, ex. 54T spur gear with 24T pinion. ( I know the outside diameter of mugen gears are the same, but maybe this method help ).
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:57 PM   #2378
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576 View Post
The problem is not the quality of plastic gears. The problem is the gap between clutch bell housing and 2nd gear housing. As we already know, they are touching in most cases. When the chassis flexes, the chance of getting broken spur gear increase.

Perhaps one way to reduce the risk of getting broken spur gear is increasing the size of spur gear and pinion gear, ex. 54T spur gear with 24T pinion. ( I know the outside diameter of mugen gears are the same, but maybe this method help ).

I know the gap between the 2 speed housing increased when going from a 52 to a 54 spur...

I usually run a 53 with a 23 pinion. If I need less top speed I go to the 54 pinion... Combos to avoid is 22 or 21 pinion with a 52 spur....

Its never a good idea to try to match small pinions with the small spur gear..
Old 12-17-2008, 02:35 AM   #2379
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
I know the gap between the 2 speed housing increased when going from a 52 to a 54 spur...

I usually run a 53 with a 23 pinion. If I need less top speed I go to the 54 pinion... Combos to avoid is 22 or 21 pinion with a 52 spur....

Its never a good idea to try to match small pinions with the small spur gear..
Out of curiousity, what motor do you run? I have a murnan plus 12 and my gearing for a large track is great but I seem to be searching for the perfect gearing for my medium sized local track. The car just doesn't seem to rev up fast enough even with a "higher" clutch setting. I haven't changed pinions from stock yet but that is my next option.

MINO Racing
JetMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:11 AM   #2380
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMD View Post
Out of curiousity, what motor do you run? I have a murnan plus 12 and my gearing for a large track is great but I seem to be searching for the perfect gearing for my medium sized local track. The car just doesn't seem to rev up fast enough even with a "higher" clutch setting. I haven't changed pinions from stock yet but that is my next option.
You need to gear down a bit with the pinions it sounds like!
Try going down to 16/22.
They should get your engine revving up!!!
For small to medium tracks, i usually use 16/21-22 depending on the length of the straight.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:50 AM   #2381
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMD View Post

JP eagle or +12 ct...

I just ran on a smaller track with a 130 foot straight and tighter infield.
I geared at 16/60 and 22/54....
Old 12-17-2008, 10:49 AM   #2382
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up ACER Racing ball bearings

Quote:
i see that acer has many choices, some say on road, some 0ff. but for a mtx4, off road style bearings???

which ones seem the best fit, maint free always sounds good to me.
Thanks for your interest. We make a specific ball bearing kit for the MTX4 which is extremely popular and very fast. It is part CM04 for the MTX4 or part CM10 for the MTX4R. All the ceramic ball bearings are lightly oiled with our synthetic SIN lube. You can also purchase these through towerhobbies.com .
Good luck!
acerracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:29 PM   #2383
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The +12sct will give you more low end power than the eagle tl3-t. the eagle does really have that much bottom end but when it comes to top end revs the eagle .12 is the fastest .12 on the market bar none. the Murnan Modified Rb R3 is the most balanced .12 engine on the market it produces great bottom end, has a hard hitting but smooth mid range and it seems to have a third gear when going down the back straight. It also makes 5 mins easy.
HoboShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:37 PM   #2384
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboShop View Post
The +12sct will give you more low end power than the eagle tl3-t. the eagle does really have that much bottom end but when it comes to top end revs the eagle .12 is the fastest .12 on the market bar none. the Murnan Modified Rb R3 is the most balanced .12 engine on the market it produces great bottom end, has a hard hitting but smooth mid range and it seems to have a third gear when going down the back straight. It also makes 5 mins easy.

The JP eagle has more power than the +12ct everywhere...lol
Old 12-17-2008, 09:14 PM   #2385
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

yeah, well the max is orange...

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote