R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-29-2008, 09:52 PM   #2131
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
The Evo 2 drives really nice and the drivetrain is super smooth (thank the updated clutch and 2 speed). I got one to tide me over until the mtx5 comes out and its very impressive on the track, however the quality of the plastics and the fit and finish are nothing on mugen or xray. I've had my mugen over a year and the grub screws in the plastic sway bar holder havent stripped, I used my RRR at 1 meet and one of them is gone. Same with the exhaust holder.

So yeah, the evo2 is probably a little better, but I think from a wear and tear perspective it wont last half as long as mugen. My 2c would be to go xray
I had just the opposite experience. I think both have good plastic but I used to strip more screws with the Mugen than the Kyosho. My sway bar holder just got changed after over a year and a half because they finally wore out. For me the Kyosho parts last longer than the Mugen. That being said, the only thing I would be concerned about with the Mugen is 2nd gear.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:01 PM   #2132
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher View Post
I had just the opposite experience. I think both have good plastic but I used to strip more screws with the Mugen than the Kyosho. My sway bar holder just got changed after over a year and a half because they finally wore out. For me the Kyosho parts last longer than the Mugen. That being said, the only thing I would be concerned about with the Mugen is 2nd gear.
I strip quite a few on the Mugen myself. I feel the Kyosho was a greater effort in getting the screws in bcoz of the the different sizes of screws. Mugen had it quite consistent.

NT1, from what i heard has a nice fit and the plastic dun allow you to strip unless you are Incredile Hulk!

Yes.. 2nd gear.. but i seem have to have solved the problem after stripping 'hundreds' of them.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:12 PM   #2133
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arahawak View Post
I strip quite a few on the Mugen myself. I feel the Kyosho was a greater effort in getting the screws in bcoz of the the different sizes of screws. Mugen had it quite consistent.

NT1, from what i heard has a nice fit and the plastic dun allow you to strip unless you are Incredile Hulk!

Yes.. 2nd gear.. but i seem have to have solved the problem after stripping 'hundreds' of them.
That is good you have the 2nd gear issued solved. I never had that issue, but I see plenty strip at every race.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:43 PM   #2134
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i have had all mugens, and they are made like steel. once u get the car to spec and the mesh is set correctly. the gears are fine. all the cars strip more than other older cars with the .8 gears i see.

go with what is easier to get parts and support.

if u look at the mugen and xray. the xray has all the options that the mugen does with a few changes. so i respect mugen for doing it first

mugen fo eva
gentleman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:17 PM   #2135
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I never had a problem stripping mugen gears, then first meet with the kyosho and I strip 2nd in the final
Old 09-30-2008, 12:00 AM   #2136
Tech Elite

I have never had unexplainable gear stripping problem with either car, but it is undeniably a problem with the mugen. There are way too many racers with all levels of experience that strip mugen gears with no obvious explanation.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:20 AM   #2137
Tech Elite

Whats up Scott, is the Kyosho thread slow tonight? lol

I know some people strip gears for unexplainable reasons but they forgot to mention jumping the car over chicanes, hitting a few boards here and there. lol

Looking forward to seeing you at the K.O. race...
Old 09-30-2008, 01:10 AM   #2138
Tech Elite

Sorry to bring this up as I think this post has been lost with all the replys..

Question:

How do i make the bodyshell to have higher downforce but yet comply with the rules for 200mm?

I only know the easy way out by having a bigger wing, but that would contravene the rules right?
Old 09-30-2008, 04:52 AM   #2139
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:

What was the fix?
nitrobeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:55 AM   #2140
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrobeast View Post
What was the fix?
It was a long process, there is no quick fix.

Basically, to ensure there is no strip plastics in the rear bulkhead, the main shaft is not bend, the bearing are good.

More importantly, the clutch bell not touching the 2nd gear housing (i found mine was touching), also the meshing, it must be 'wide' enough to have some free play.. i try to get a picture to show you a idea of how much spacing it has.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:25 AM   #2141
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
It was a long process, there is no quick fix.

Basically, to ensure there is no strip plastics in the rear bulkhead, the main shaft is not bend, the bearing are good.

More importantly, the clutch bell not touching the 2nd gear housing (i found mine was touching), also the meshing, it must be 'wide' enough to have some free play.. i try to get a picture to show you a idea of how much spacing it has.

Hope this helps.
Please get a picture. Anyone else who also doesnt have this problem post a pic.
nitrobeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:42 AM   #2142
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

If Mugen does come out with a new car I would like to see lighter diff gears maybe titanium. Any comments???
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:49 AM   #2143
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-bump View Post
If Mugen does come out with a new car I would like to see lighter diff gears maybe titanium. Any comments???
I'm not sure but I saw diff gears from Knack and I'm assuming it is a lightened version. MSR makes a lot of lightened drivetrain parts along YBslow....

Last edited by Francis M.; 09-30-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:23 AM   #2144
Tech Elite

Hey Francis!!

Yeah, the K thread was a bit slow and somebody here was asking about both the Mugen and Kyosho car.
YBSLOW does have quite a few lightweight drivetrain partsfor the Mugen car. No lightweight diff gears.....yet. Actually I don't think he will have those parts, but you never know.

I can also say he is working on a fix for the gear stripping issue. Not a band-aid but a fix. Some testing has already been done and it looks good right now. The sedan nats will be a major test.

See you at the KO race..... going to run 1/8th again after about 2 years.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:45 AM   #2145
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher View Post
Hey Francis!!

Yeah, the K thread was a bit slow and somebody here was asking about both the Mugen and Kyosho car.
YBSLOW does have quite a few lightweight drivetrain partsfor the Mugen car. No lightweight diff gears.....yet. Actually I don't think he will have those parts, but you never know.

I can also say he is working on a fix for the gear stripping issue. Not a band-aid but a fix. Some testing has already been done and it looks good right now. The sedan nats will be a major test.

See you at the KO race..... going to run 1/8th again after about 2 years.

I'm planning on running sedan for the K.O. race.. I need to get track time with the 1/8th in club races before running it at a big race.