R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-28-2008, 09:24 AM   #2116
Tech Apprentice

There is a rumor that they are going to release a new car next year...
Old 09-28-2008, 11:30 PM   #2117
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I don't often write these up so I thought I'd post it for others. I used this setup over the weekend to win a nitro event at my local track, which is quite small and technical with medium grip. I was on hard tyres because we were doing a 30 min final, I normally used 37F/40R. Here's a vid showing the size and layout of the track: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=jrYk-4zKicg

Front Suspension:
Track width: 199mm
Ride height: 5mm
Camber: -1.5
Upper arm spacer: 2mm
Toe angle: out 1
Rebound stop: 1mm
Bump stop: None
Upper arm position: 1mm
Upright: T0164 with 1mm spacer
Solid spool
A ackerman
Sway bar: halfway between flat and diagonal

Rear suspension:
Track Width: 200mm
Ride height: 6mm
Camber: -3.5
Toe angle: in 2.5
Rebound stop: 4mm
Lower arm position: Bottom hole
Upright spacer: 1mm
Roll bar: blade type horizontal
Upper arm position: T0161 in the top hole
Wheel hub spacer: 0mm
Rear diff: 30,000

Front shocks:
Piston: Stock
Oil: 600
Spring: Purple
Position: Middle

Rear shocks:
Spring: Light Blue
Position: Third hole from the bottom

Tyres:
Front: Twister 40sh 59mm
Rear: Twister 42sh 61mm
Old 09-29-2008, 03:21 AM   #2118
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
I don't often write these up so I thought I'd post it for others. I used this setup over the weekend to win a nitro event at my local track, which is quite small and technical with medium grip. I was on hard tyres because we were doing a 30 min final, I normally used 37F/40R. Here's a vid showing the size and layout of the track: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=jrYk-4zKicg
Nice track! You guys run both gas and electric on this track? coz the video shows an electric race.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:21 AM   #2119
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

I just got pretty reliable information that Mugen is about to hire a new, very reputable designer for their onroad cars in January.

If this works out, then we should see some interesting new developments there

And no, I can't tell you yet who it is
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:08 AM   #2120
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BLKNOTCH

Quote:

Front Suspension:
Track width: 199mm
Ride height: 5mm
Camber: -1.5
Upper arm spacer: 2mm
Toe angle: out 1
Rebound stop: 1mm
Upper arm position: 1mm
Upright: T0164 with 1mm spacer
Solid spool
A ackerman
Sway bar: halfway between flat and diagonal

Rear suspension:
Track Width: 200mm
Ride height: 6mm
Camber: -3.5
Toe angle: in 2.5
Rebound stop: 4mm
Lower arm position: Bottom hole
Upright spacer: 1mm
Roll bar: blade type horizontal
Upper arm position: T0161 in the top hole
Wheel hub spacer: 0mm
Rear diff: 30,000

Front shocks:
Spring: Purple
Position: Middle

Rear shocks:
Spring: Light Blue
Position: Third hole from the bottom

Tyres:
Front: Twister 40sh 59mm
Rear: Twister 42sh 61mm
This set up works great as it is the one I have been using and the car is a point and shoot rocket. What side pulley are you running? 24 or 25?

Thanks
Sean
Old 09-29-2008, 08:36 AM   #2121
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
I just got pretty reliable information that Mugen is about to hire a new, very reputable designer for their onroad cars in January.

See I have a dilemma on what car I want to purchase at the end of the season. I currently run the MTX-3. I am looking to stay away from the serpent. Xray has not really gotten my attention either. I have narrowed it down to the new Kyosho Evo 2 WC that will be released in OCT. Or the Mugen MTX4-R. I would hate to purchase the MTX4-R and have a new kit released within a 6 month time frame. I have always run mugen so I am partial to them, but the new Kyosho Evo2 WC really has me looking at them.

any ideas?

Thanks,
Old 09-29-2008, 09:16 AM   #2122
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by G87z View Post
See I have a dilemma on what car I want to purchase at the end of the season. I currently run the MTX-3. I am looking to stay away from the serpent. Xray has not really gotten my attention either. I have narrowed it down to the new Kyosho Evo 2 WC that will be released in OCT. Or the Mugen MTX4-R. I would hate to purchase the MTX4-R and have a new kit released within a 6 month time frame. I have always run mugen so I am partial to them, but the new Kyosho Evo2 WC really has me looking at them.

any ideas?

Thanks,
I will say I have run the MTX3 and it was a great car but mid way threw this season I switched up to the MTX4R and let me tell you this car is awsome in so many ways. It is very easy to work with since the uprights are removable unlike the MTX3 and the handling is much MUCH better then the 3. I mad the switch and went from a mid B main racer to a solid A main racer with one of the top times at my track. As far as a new kit being released in the next 6 months I don't see that happening and really there isn't much that they are going to improve on as the car already runs awesome.

Good luck with what you decide.

Sean
Old 09-29-2008, 11:12 AM   #2123
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

why use the T0164 upright, i thought that it was used for high traction?
gentleman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:26 PM   #2124
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arahawak View Post
Nice track! You guys run both gas and electric on this track? coz the video shows an electric race.
Yeah we race both, night racing which is EP only was supposed to use a more technical layout but they tried the nitro layout and loved it. I race both (my cars the white one in the vid) so it suits me. We'll be running a new layout for both starting next pointscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleman81 View Post
why use the T0164 upright, i thought that it was used for high traction?
I haven't tried the other one. The setup is adapted from a Mike Swauger setup where he used the T0164 and shorter arm geometry. I extended the arms and lowered the rear RC and it was fine, I might try the knuckles next

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKNOTCH View Post
This set up works great as it is the one I have been using and the car is a point and shoot rocket. What side pulley are you running? 24 or 25?

Thanks
Sean
It's the 24. Glad you like the setup (assume you got it off the mugen forum), results-wise it's certainly been very good for me. TBH I was sceptical about the 600wt shock oil at first, it does suck a little of the responsiveness out of the car but it's super fast and really predictable.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:35 PM   #2125
Suspended

Quote:

any ideas?

Thanks,
Make sure you buy plenty of second gear spurs. The MTX4 eats them for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
the_geeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:42 PM   #2126
Tech Champion

Quote:

any ideas?

Thanks,
The Evo 2 drives really nice and the drivetrain is super smooth (thank the updated clutch and 2 speed). I got one to tide me over until the mtx5 comes out and its very impressive on the track, however the quality of the plastics and the fit and finish are nothing on mugen or xray. I've had my mugen over a year and the grub screws in the plastic sway bar holder havent stripped, I used my RRR at 1 meet and one of them is gone. Same with the exhaust holder.

So yeah, the evo2 is probably a little better, but I think from a wear and tear perspective it wont last half as long as mugen. My 2c would be to go xray
Old 09-29-2008, 09:18 PM   #2127
Tech Master

Quote:
It's the 24. Glad you like the setup (assume you got it off the mugen forum), results-wise it's certainly been very good for me. TBH I was sceptical about the 600wt shock oil at first, it does suck a little of the responsiveness out of the car but it's super fast and really predictable.
I have been using this setup for just over a month now but I am using 500wt in the front and the car is just awesome.

Thanks
Sean
Old 09-29-2008, 09:43 PM   #2128
Tech Elite

Question:

How do i make the bodyshell to have higher downforce but yet comply with the rules for 200mm?

I only know the easy way out by having a bigger wing, but that would contravene the rules right?
Old 09-29-2008, 09:45 PM   #2129
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post

You? haha just kidding..

its about time.. has the MTX4 been around for that long? 3 years? How time flies!!!
Old 09-29-2008, 09:52 PM   #2130
Tech Elite

Quote:

any ideas?

Thanks,
I say if you have the extra, be like CraigM.. he runs both.

Actually.. my thoughts is that if what stefan says is correct, i still say 6months is a long time to enjoy the car. If they design the car in Jan 09, it prob take another few months to get it to production. Going with the trend, IF there is new car, it prob out in late '09. so you can get plenty of fun till then. If I were you, i would still get it if you are partial to Mugen.

However, it be nice to try something new if you haven. I know it may sound cliche, but get whatever you fancy and just enjoy the hobby.