R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2008, 04:53 PM   #1996
Tech Elite
 
BlackedOutREVO's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 3,791
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstorm76 View Post
All the gears are the same diameter no matter what, so you can use any combination of 1st and 2nd that you need. It's not the cause of the gear stripping.
Really? How does that work out? Im pretty darn sure that its different.

How would a spur with a different tooth count be the same in dia?
__________________
R1 Wurks/Awesomatix USA/Roche USA/Protoform/Solaris/Mo Speed/Speedworld Raceway
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:17 PM   #1997
Tech Elite
 
quietstorm76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,265
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO View Post
Really? How does that work out? Im pretty darn sure that its different.

How would a spur with a different tooth count be the same in dia?
Take your calipers out and check them. All the first gears are the same, so is the 2nd gears. It allows you to make gear changes on the fly without re-meshing. Try this....change your 1st gear from 59 to 60. Don't touch the motor or anything else. Just put on a different gear and check the mesh, it will be the same.
__________________
Team Shepherd USA:Nugget's Ranch Raceway
Primary Weapon: ?
Secondary Weapon: ?
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:57 PM   #1998
Tech Master
 
Scott B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NOR-CAL
Posts: 1,249
Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstorm76 View Post
Take your calipers out and check them. All the first gears are the same, so is the 2nd gears. It allows you to make gear changes on the fly without re-meshing. Try this....change your 1st gear from 59 to 60. Don't touch the motor or anything else. Just put on a different gear and check the mesh, it will be the same.
Well I just measured a 59 and a 60 and they DO NOT measure the samn. The 59 is .2mm smaller.
__________________
Mugen Racing USA, Sweep Racing Tires, R1 Wurks, Protoform, Speedworld Raceway...

"On-road is racing.. off-road is 50% competitive jumping and 50% crash avoidance"...
Scott B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:42 PM   #1999
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ATL
Posts: 684
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B View Post
Well I just measured a 59 and a 60 and they DO NOT measure the samn. The 59 is .2mm smaller.
Are both brand new? If one's used more then the other, you'll have a size difference. Try 2 brand new gears.
Baedarlboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:15 PM   #2000
Tech Elite
 
quietstorm76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,265
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B View Post
Well I just measured a 59 and a 60 and they DO NOT measure the samn. The 59 is .2mm smaller.
Trust me on this one. You can change gears without re-meshing. Go outside and try it.
__________________
Team Shepherd USA:Nugget's Ranch Raceway
Primary Weapon: ?
Secondary Weapon: ?
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:40 PM   #2001
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Corona Ca.
Posts: 2,834
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default MTX4r

He is correct,
You do not have to reset the mesh when changing the spur gears to either a higher tooth,or lower tooth.
Grab a two new spur gears<different teeth> and check with a mic. They should be the same. Make sure they are the same manufacturer.
__________________
[COLOR="Red"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT][/COLOR]BRC358http://www.kamikazercracing.com
nearest barstool
brc358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:25 PM   #2002
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 4,148
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher
Default

These guys are correct. There may be a small/insignificant difference due to manufacturing tolerance, but they are the same size. They cheat just a little on the pitch in order to this, but it is insignificant.
__________________
| Capricorn | Ybslow | Proline-Protoform | Johnny Bravo Racing | Desoto Racing | Murnan Modified | Matrix Tires | Powermaster Fuel |
Scott Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:29 PM   #2003
Tech Regular
 
T-ROY22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Q-BORO to the ATL!
Posts: 444
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Baedarlboo

I doubt anyone from Mugen is going to come on here and openly admit a fault of the car. If anything, they'll fix it by selling a WCE, or a MTX5. More money in it that way. And you have to remember, if they made a perfect car, parts sales would drop big time meaning $$$$ goes down with it.
$$$$ thats what it's all about in the end.
Yeah the mugen team member thing might be a stretch and i'm cool with buying parts, hell that's why you guys can't get parts from Winners Circle cause i clean him out. But when you consistently change the same parts all the time then T-ROY will stop buying Mugen Parts and go get something else. Don't get me wrong it's an awesome car but no longer fun when im changing bulkheads& gears everytime i race or practice.
__________________
T-ROY!
Mugen Seiki USA,Enneti Tyres, Murnan Modifieds, Airtronics USA
T-ROY22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:55 AM   #2004
Uga
Tech Regular
 
Uga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: By the Baltic Sea
Posts: 441
Default

Over a season with MTX4R (~8 liters of fuel) I've only changed 3 2nd gears, 1 belt and 2 shock diaphragms, it has seen enough punishment though.. So for me the car has worked out to be the most durable car I have ever had.. well, if you don't take the 12th scale into consideration :P
__________________
-=Xray XB4=-
-=Xray XB8E=-
-=Schumacher Cougar KF2=-
-=Awesomatix A800X=-
Racing in Latvia
Uga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:59 PM   #2005
Tech Champion
 
tony montana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Leonardtown Md.
Posts: 6,145
Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default

mugen has to do something besides updating the 2 speed and new gears. Guys are gonna get frustrated and get other cars. there are to many people having the problem for it to be user error. Im no rookie at all, gear mesh is set correctly, engine mounting screws are square and I couldnt fiqure it out. I have yet to see a big time team driver even anwser a question about stripping the gear when asked. The car is awesome besides the gear issues thou
__________________
K.C. Guy- TLR- Horrizon Hobby- Team Trinity- 92 zero designs- AKA
tony montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:28 PM   #2006
Tech Elite
 
quietstorm76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,265
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
mugen has to do something besides updating the 2 speed and new gears. Guys are gonna get frustrated and get other cars. there are to many people having the problem for it to be user error. Im no rookie at all, gear mesh is set correctly, engine mounting screws are square and I couldnt fiqure it out. I have yet to see a big time team driver even anwser a question about stripping the gear when asked. The car is awesome besides the gear issues thou
Why didn't we have this problem with the MTX3? What changed in the gear box design between the X3 and X4? Mugen needs to figure that one out.

I no longer run this car but I'm still curious.
__________________
Team Shepherd USA:Nugget's Ranch Raceway
Primary Weapon: ?
Secondary Weapon: ?
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:00 PM   #2007
Tech Elite
 
lil-bump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Cold Great Lakes
Posts: 2,963
Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)
Default

I think it has to do with heat how long the car stays in second gear. I believe with the higher internal gear ratio compared to the MTX-3 the MTx4/r is more prone to strip 2nd gear. Also if the 2sp engagement point is set too early I believe car stays in second gear too long causing the gear to heat up and strip. I believe I read that Mugen said this was the chief reason of gear stripping and that the gear softens with heat. The best advice I can for guys who strip gears is always keep an eye on your car's rollout as your tires wear you must compensate with gear ratio's. Also make sure your engine is not flat lining (engine reaches top rpm but no further speed increased is noticed) I know some people may not agree with my point but once I followed these precautions I have not stripped any gear since. You still have to follow all of the other points that have been mentioned in earlier posts.
__________________
Elliott Hart
Serpent America
Desoto Racing Team
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:14 PM   #2008
Tech Elite
 
lil-bump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Cold Great Lakes
Posts: 2,963
Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)
Default

How can you tell the physical diffference between the to-138 and to138b front uprights? What lower a-arms must be used with each. I have a bunch of front uprights just not sure which one's they are???


Pass you soon...
__________________
Elliott Hart
Serpent America
Desoto Racing Team
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo

Last edited by lil-bump; 08-31-2008 at 02:33 PM.
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:25 PM   #2009
Tech Elite
 
quietstorm76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,265
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-bump View Post
I think it has to do with heat how long the car stays in second gear. I believe with the higher internal gear ratio compared to the MTX-3 the MTx4/r is more prone to strip 2nd gear. Also if the 2sp engagement point is set too early I believe car stays in second gear too long causing the gear to heat up and strip. I believe I read that Mugen said this was the chief reason of gear stripping and that the gear softens with heat. The best advice I can for guys who strip gears is always keep an eye on your car's rollout as your tires wear you must compensate with gear ratio's. Also make sure your engine is not flat lining (engine reaches top rpm but no further speed increased is noticed) I know some people may not agree with my point but once I followed these precautions I have not stripped any gear since. You still have to follow all of the other points that have been mentioned in earlier posts.
That was my finding in that the gear was heating up. My issue was that my end bell was touching the 2speed housing.
__________________
Team Shepherd USA:Nugget's Ranch Raceway
Primary Weapon: ?
Secondary Weapon: ?
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:45 PM   #2010
Tech Elite
 
BlackedOutREVO's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 3,791
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstorm76 View Post
Take your calipers out and check them. All the first gears are the same, so is the 2nd gears. It allows you to make gear changes on the fly without re-meshing. Try this....change your 1st gear from 59 to 60. Don't touch the motor or anything else. Just put on a different gear and check the mesh, it will be the same.
I know the difference is small. but that doesnt mean the mesh will be perfect when changing gears like that. Like Scotty said, they are different. And if my mesh wasnt great to start with, it only got worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B View Post
Well I just measured a 59 and a 60 and they DO NOT measure the samn. The 59 is .2mm smaller.
You going to swr next weekend for gas?
__________________
R1 Wurks/Awesomatix USA/Roche USA/Protoform/Solaris/Mo Speed/Speedworld Raceway
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MUGEN MBX5R/MUGEN MBX5T PROSPEC/TRAXXAS RACE REVO Jason Halvorson R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 01-12-2008 10:32 AM
Mugen 5T Chassis, Mugen 46 Tooth Pinion, Associated Ride Height Gauge bretzkej R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 08-19-2007 06:31 PM
USA's Most Wanted FOR SALE Mugen MBX5R,Losi 8 comp, and Mugen MBX5T Prospec Truggy nobike R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 69 04-28-2007 07:45 PM
Another MTX3 prospec w lots of parts and an optional Mugen X12 w Mugen pipe Scott Fisher R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 11-21-2005 05:45 PM
drake xxx nt and mugen mst-1+extras......Looking for a kanai 2 or maybe mugen buggy [email protected] R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 06-30-2003 09:31 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:55 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net