R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-30-2008, 04:53 PM   #1996
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstorm76 View Post
All the gears are the same diameter no matter what, so you can use any combination of 1st and 2nd that you need. It's not the cause of the gear stripping.
Really? How does that work out? Im pretty darn sure that its different.

How would a spur with a different tooth count be the same in dia?
Old 08-30-2008, 05:17 PM   #1997
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO View Post
Really? How does that work out? Im pretty darn sure that its different.

How would a spur with a different tooth count be the same in dia?
Take your calipers out and check them. All the first gears are the same, so is the 2nd gears. It allows you to make gear changes on the fly without re-meshing. Try this....change your 1st gear from 59 to 60. Don't touch the motor or anything else. Just put on a different gear and check the mesh, it will be the same.
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:57 PM   #1998
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Quote:
Take your calipers out and check them. All the first gears are the same, so is the 2nd gears. It allows you to make gear changes on the fly without re-meshing. Try this....change your 1st gear from 59 to 60. Don't touch the motor or anything else. Just put on a different gear and check the mesh, it will be the same.
Well I just measured a 59 and a 60 and they DO NOT measure the samn. The 59 is .2mm smaller.

"On-road is racing.. off-road is 50% competitive jumping and 50% crash avoidance"...
Scott B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:42 PM   #1999
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B View Post
Well I just measured a 59 and a 60 and they DO NOT measure the samn. The 59 is .2mm smaller.
Are both brand new? If one's used more then the other, you'll have a size difference. Try 2 brand new gears.
Baedarlboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:15 PM   #2000
Tech Elite

Quote:
Trust me on this one. You can change gears without re-meshing. Go outside and try it.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:40 PM   #2001
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default MTX4r

He is correct,
You do not have to reset the mesh when changing the spur gears to either a higher tooth,or lower tooth.
Grab a two new spur gears<different teeth> and check with a mic. They should be the same. Make sure they are the same manufacturer.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:25 PM   #2002
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

These guys are correct. There may be a small/insignificant difference due to manufacturing tolerance, but they are the same size. They cheat just a little on the pitch in order to this, but it is insignificant.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:29 PM   #2003
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Baedarlboo

I doubt anyone from Mugen is going to come on here and openly admit a fault of the car. If anything, they'll fix it by selling a WCE, or a MTX5. More money in it that way. And you have to remember, if they made a perfect car, parts sales would drop big time meaning $$$$ goes down with it.
$$$$ thats what it's all about in the end.
Yeah the mugen team member thing might be a stretch and i'm cool with buying parts, hell that's why you guys can't get parts from Winners Circle cause i clean him out. But when you consistently change the same parts all the time then T-ROY will stop buying Mugen Parts and go get something else. Don't get me wrong it's an awesome car but no longer fun when im changing bulkheads& gears everytime i race or practice.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:55 AM   #2004
Uga
Tech Regular

Over a season with MTX4R (~8 liters of fuel) I've only changed 3 2nd gears, 1 belt and 2 shock diaphragms, it has seen enough punishment though.. So for me the car has worked out to be the most durable car I have ever had.. well, if you don't take the 12th scale into consideration :P
-=Awesomatix A800X=-
Racing in Latvia
Uga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:59 PM   #2005
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

mugen has to do something besides updating the 2 speed and new gears. Guys are gonna get frustrated and get other cars. there are to many people having the problem for it to be user error. Im no rookie at all, gear mesh is set correctly, engine mounting screws are square and I couldnt fiqure it out. I have yet to see a big time team driver even anwser a question about stripping the gear when asked. The car is awesome besides the gear issues thou
Old 08-31-2008, 01:28 PM   #2006
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
mugen has to do something besides updating the 2 speed and new gears. Guys are gonna get frustrated and get other cars. there are to many people having the problem for it to be user error. Im no rookie at all, gear mesh is set correctly, engine mounting screws are square and I couldnt fiqure it out. I have yet to see a big time team driver even anwser a question about stripping the gear when asked. The car is awesome besides the gear issues thou
Why didn't we have this problem with the MTX3? What changed in the gear box design between the X3 and X4? Mugen needs to figure that one out.

I no longer run this car but I'm still curious.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:00 PM   #2007
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

I think it has to do with heat how long the car stays in second gear. I believe with the higher internal gear ratio compared to the MTX-3 the MTx4/r is more prone to strip 2nd gear. Also if the 2sp engagement point is set too early I believe car stays in second gear too long causing the gear to heat up and strip. I believe I read that Mugen said this was the chief reason of gear stripping and that the gear softens with heat. The best advice I can for guys who strip gears is always keep an eye on your car's rollout as your tires wear you must compensate with gear ratio's. Also make sure your engine is not flat lining (engine reaches top rpm but no further speed increased is noticed) I know some people may not agree with my point but once I followed these precautions I have not stripped any gear since. You still have to follow all of the other points that have been mentioned in earlier posts.
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:14 PM   #2008
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

How can you tell the physical diffference between the to-138 and to138b front uprights? What lower a-arms must be used with each. I have a bunch of front uprights just not sure which one's they are???

Pass you soon...
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo

Last edited by lil-bump; 08-31-2008 at 02:33 PM.
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:25 PM   #2009
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-bump View Post
I think it has to do with heat how long the car stays in second gear. I believe with the higher internal gear ratio compared to the MTX-3 the MTx4/r is more prone to strip 2nd gear. Also if the 2sp engagement point is set too early I believe car stays in second gear too long causing the gear to heat up and strip. I believe I read that Mugen said this was the chief reason of gear stripping and that the gear softens with heat. The best advice I can for guys who strip gears is always keep an eye on your car's rollout as your tires wear you must compensate with gear ratio's. Also make sure your engine is not flat lining (engine reaches top rpm but no further speed increased is noticed) I know some people may not agree with my point but once I followed these precautions I have not stripped any gear since. You still have to follow all of the other points that have been mentioned in earlier posts.
That was my finding in that the gear was heating up. My issue was that my end bell was touching the 2speed housing.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:45 PM   #2010
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
I know the difference is small. but that doesnt mean the mesh will be perfect when changing gears like that. Like Scotty said, they are different. And if my mesh wasnt great to start with, it only got worse

Quote:
You going to swr next weekend for gas?