R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2008, 07:47 PM   #1741
Tech Elite
 
Arahawak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: A.D. 2030
Posts: 3,444
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
I can easily spend the 40.00, but would rather send it on something like foams or other breakable parts. One thing I have always struggled with my mugen on road cars is with the steering servo. I always, always have trouble with the servo horn hitting the servo case when turning the wheel. I have tried triming the servo horn, spacing the servo nothing seems to work. With the servo out of the car it has tons of steering travel, with it in and the radio on and turning the wheels, I have half the steering travel. Any suggestions?
Not quite exactly sure what you are talking about. How about some pictures?

Some troubleshooting questions:

Are you using the correct servo spacers? There are spacers for different brands of servos..
Use a penknife to trim the ball ends connecting the steering servo and the servo saver.
Adjust the EPA on your radio.
If you have the money try getting Team AJ servo horns for Mugens.
__________________
Support Bacteria - its the only culture some people have!
Arahawak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:45 PM   #1742
Tech Elite
 
lil-bump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Cold Great Lakes
Posts: 2,963
Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
I can easily spend the 40.00, but would rather send it on something like foams or other breakable parts. One thing I have always struggled with my mugen on road cars is with the steering servo. I always, always have trouble with the servo horn hitting the servo case when turning the wheel. I have tried triming the servo horn, spacing the servo nothing seems to work. With the servo out of the car it has tons of steering travel, with it in and the radio on and turning the wheels, I have half the steering travel. Any suggestions?

I use the Dubro horns. Use the long horn, but place the screw in the second hole from the end. Make sure you get the proper horn based on your model of servo. A hitec horn will not fit JR servo.
__________________
Elliott Hart
Serpent America
Desoto Racing Team
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:26 AM   #1743
Tech Regular
 
Bad Mika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 311
Default steering hub t0138-b & t0164

hi, sorry maybe this has been discussed before ...

what is the difference between the t0138-b and t0164 steering linkage besides it's obvious physical geometry ?

for each steering hub, for what type of track should i use ?

many thanks
Bad Mika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:59 PM   #1744
Tech Champion
 
tony montana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Leonardtown Md.
Posts: 6,145
Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default

the 164 front hubs are standard on the mtx4r. They are 2 degree hubs, the 138-b I think are 0 degree. Yeah Im using the dubro servo horns actually, I bought the kit for jr servos which Im using a jr 8450. I put the small short horn actually, so I should use the taller one?
__________________
K.C. Guy- TLR- Horrizon Hobby- Team Trinity- 92 zero designs- AKA
tony montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:39 PM   #1745
Tech Fanatic
 
G87z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Logan Township, NJ
Posts: 788
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
the 164 front hubs are standard on the mtx4r. They are 2 degree hubs, the 138-b I think are 0 degree. Yeah Im using the dubro servo horns actually, I bought the kit for jr servos which Im using a jr 8450. I put the small short horn actually, so I should use the taller one?
I use the 138-B on my MTX-3. They seem to work well. I got some more steering while using them. The only mod I had to do was notch the lower arms so they would turn in completly. Are the MTX4-R arms notched in anyway? Does anyone have a pic they can take of the MTX4-R Arm? I thought the 138-b hubs were the 2 degree. I may be wrong though. What does the degree affect in terms of setup?
G87z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:54 PM   #1746
Tech Elite
 
Arahawak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: A.D. 2030
Posts: 3,444
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G87z View Post
I use the 138-B on my MTX-3. They seem to work well. I got some more steering while using them. The only mod I had to do was notch the lower arms so they would turn in completly. Are the MTX4-R arms notched in anyway? Does anyone have a pic they can take of the MTX4-R Arm? I thought the 138-b hubs were the 2 degree. I may be wrong though. What does the degree affect in terms of setup?
138-B are not 2 degrees hubs. the new kits have notches cut in already for the 2 deg hubs on the lower arms, that allows more steering.

The new hubs basically allows you to varies the steering grip on the front by placing the desired amount of washes.
__________________
Support Bacteria - its the only culture some people have!
Arahawak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:24 PM   #1747
Tech Elite
 
lil-bump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Cold Great Lakes
Posts: 2,963
Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
the 164 front hubs are standard on the mtx4r. They are 2 degree hubs, the 138-b I think are 0 degree. Yeah Im using the dubro servo horns actually, I bought the kit for jr servos which Im using a jr 8450. I put the small short horn actually, so I should use the taller one?

Yes, Use the long one. Just mount your eyelet in the second hole from the end. The short horn does not give enough steering throw
__________________
Elliott Hart
Serpent America
Desoto Racing Team
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:48 AM   #1748
Tech Master
 
gentleman81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: VA Baby
Posts: 1,657
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

anybody using that centax clutch tool on the mtx4? the one that u can adj from the outside.

does it work or is it a gimick? carlsen has some nice stuff
__________________
MTX4R/PICCO(Trophy Taker) - SERP 950/SIRIO(Board Breaker)
PHI '08 - to be announced.....
www.vorra.org - ironbridgesportspark.com - 301raceway*4LIFE*.com
gentleman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:17 PM   #1749
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 937
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleman81 View Post
anybody using that centax clutch tool on the mtx4? the one that u can adj from the outside.

does it work or is it a gimick? carlsen has some nice stuff
Hey Craig I've got one, you can check it out Sun.
VA_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:35 PM   #1750
Tech Master
 
gentleman81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: VA Baby
Posts: 1,657
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

i had seen someone trying to use one and it didnt quite fit, but maybe the clutch nut was just mangled or something. sweet!
__________________
MTX4R/PICCO(Trophy Taker) - SERP 950/SIRIO(Board Breaker)
PHI '08 - to be announced.....
www.vorra.org - ironbridgesportspark.com - 301raceway*4LIFE*.com
gentleman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:58 PM   #1751
Tech Champion
 
tony montana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Leonardtown Md.
Posts: 6,145
Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default

yeah, Thats the problem is Im lacking steering throw with the short servo horn, Didnt realize the shorter one could have been the problem, I will try the longer one, thanks for the tip
__________________
K.C. Guy- TLR- Horrizon Hobby- Team Trinity- 92 zero designs- AKA
tony montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:04 PM   #1752
Tech Elite
 
itchy b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: In My Man Cave
Posts: 4,144
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arahawak View Post
138-B are not 2 degrees hubs. the new kits have notches cut in already for the 2 deg hubs on the lower arms, that allows more steering.

The new hubs basically allows you to varies the steering grip on the front by placing the desired amount of washes.
So which way does it work with the 2 deg hobs?
More washers = less steering
Less washers = more steering
Or is it the opposite?
__________________
-Blitz-Rallyhawk-EX 1.5R-Xpress-P64 Tyrrell-Lotus79-Espirit VTA
EX1.5-SC10 4x4
itchy b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #1753
Tech Elite
 
Arahawak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: A.D. 2030
Posts: 3,444
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy b View Post
So which way does it work with the 2 deg hobs?
More washers = less steering
Less washers = more steering
Or is it the opposite?
You are right.
__________________
Support Bacteria - its the only culture some people have!
Arahawak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #1754
Tech Champion
 
tony montana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Leonardtown Md.
Posts: 6,145
Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default

Im in the process of getting universal for my mtx4. Does anyone have a way to prevent the dogbones from falling out after a crash or at full steering throw? I did cut some fuel line to about 10mm for the front ones, think that will take care of it, or should I do something else
__________________
K.C. Guy- TLR- Horrizon Hobby- Team Trinity- 92 zero designs- AKA
tony montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:44 PM   #1755
Tech Elite
 
Arahawak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: A.D. 2030
Posts: 3,444
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
Im in the process of getting universal for my mtx4. Does anyone have a way to prevent the dogbones from falling out after a crash or at full steering throw? I did cut some fuel line to about 10mm for the front ones, think that will take care of it, or should I do something else
That's the best so far besides changing to universals. You may also want to use cable ties and secure them to the arms to prevent from losing them in case of a crash.
__________________
Support Bacteria - its the only culture some people have!
Arahawak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MUGEN MBX5R/MUGEN MBX5T PROSPEC/TRAXXAS RACE REVO Jason Halvorson R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 01-12-2008 10:32 AM
Mugen 5T Chassis, Mugen 46 Tooth Pinion, Associated Ride Height Gauge bretzkej R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 08-19-2007 06:31 PM
USA's Most Wanted FOR SALE Mugen MBX5R,Losi 8 comp, and Mugen MBX5T Prospec Truggy nobike R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 69 04-28-2007 07:45 PM
Another MTX3 prospec w lots of parts and an optional Mugen X12 w Mugen pipe Scott Fisher R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 11-21-2005 05:45 PM
drake xxx nt and mugen mst-1+extras......Looking for a kanai 2 or maybe mugen buggy [email protected] R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 06-30-2003 09:31 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:21 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net