Old 06-02-2008, 04:19 AM   #1578
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by entitymugenmtx View Post
This might help you. When you said use a thrust as a washer thats allot I think

http://www.cefx.net/tips/nitro/clutch/index.php
It is in my end play for sure my problem:

#7 - Setting the endplay is the next step. Remove the thrust assembly and clutch bell (be careful to keep the shims together for the gap). Install the bearing that goes into the backside of the clutch bell and slide it onto the crankshaft. When you do this your clutch bell should not drag on the clutch shoe. If it does then you need to add shims before sliding on the inner clutch bell bearing and clutch bell.

>> My clutch drags on the shoe. Where do I add the shims ? Between the first bearing and clutch inner bearing ??????

Thanks
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:21 AM   #1579
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
It is in my end play for sure my problem:

#7 - Setting the endplay is the next step. Remove the thrust assembly and clutch bell (be careful to keep the shims together for the gap). Install the bearing that goes into the backside of the clutch bell and slide it onto the crankshaft. When you do this your clutch bell should not drag on the clutch shoe. If it does then you need to add shims before sliding on the inner clutch bell bearing and clutch bell.

>> My clutch drags on the shoe. Where do I add the shims ? Between the first bearing and clutch inner bearing ??????

Thanks
if your clutch is dragging, then you should be adding shims between the spring adjustment and the first bearing.
Baedarlboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:36 AM   #1580
Tech Master

Thanks Baedarlboo. I kind of thought it would be at that location. Just felt that the support of the shims was flimsy when retaining on the spring ajustment nut.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:47 AM   #1581
Tech Addict

just add one shim at a time where the clutch bell stops dragging.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:59 AM   #1582
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baedarlboo View Post
just add one shim at a time where the clutch bell stops dragging.
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:06 AM   #1583
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Am I the only one that thinks it's strange that mugen wouldn't include those shims with the kit? They don't even tell you to shim there. I learned to do that a few years ago but I just can't understand why Mugen doesn't want you to get rid of the endbell dragging on the shoe.

MINO Racing
JetMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:09 AM   #1584
Tech Adept

It's odd that MTX-4 manual does not mention a single word about setting end play and of course the car also doesn't come with shims for that.
When you are shimming the end play, make sure that the outermost shim (closest to the 2 bearings) has a small outer diameter (max 8mm), otherwise it will rub on the bearing. It takes a lot of shims to get rid of the end play on Mugen clutch, a bit over 2mm is what I have usually ended up with.
olev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:12 AM   #1585
Tech Adept

Quote:
Thanks Baedarlboo. I kind of thought it would be at that location. Just felt that the support of the shims was flimsy when retaining on the spring ajustment nut.
Umm, they won't be resting on the adjustment nut, unless you run zero or negative spring preload, which we never do.
olev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:19 AM   #1586
Tech Addict

It does suck that the car does not come with enough shims. I had to dig, dig and dig some more to barely come up with enough (right size) shims to make the clutch work perfect.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:50 AM   #1587
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by olev View Post
It's odd that MTX-4 manual does not mention a single word about setting end play and of course the car also doesn't come with shims for that.
When you are shimming the end play, make sure that the outermost shim (closest to the 2 bearings) has a small outer diameter (max 8mm), otherwise it will rub on the bearing. It takes a lot of shims to get rid of the end play on Mugen clutch, a bit over 2mm is what I have usually ended up with.
That's excellent advice ! "make sure that the outermost shim (closest to the 2 bearings) has a small outer diameter (max 8mm), otherwise it will rub on the bearing."

Can I use (max 8mm) shims for all the shimming ? 2mm of shimming is a lot of shimming. Is there anything else I can use ? What do you recommend as shims ?
Old 06-02-2008, 08:54 AM   #1588
Tech Addict

Quote:
That's excellent advice ! "make sure that the outermost shim (closest to the 2 bearings) has a small outer diameter (max 8mm), otherwise it will rub on the bearing."

Can I use (max 8mm) shims for all the shimming ? 2mm of shimming is a lot of shimming. Is there anything else I can use ? What do you recommend as shims ?
people have reported using one side of the thrust bearing as a shim...i don't have an extra thrust bearing, so I personally have not tried it, but it's been done.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:42 AM   #1589
Tech Master

Default Collet used ???

I may be using the wrong collet size.

Anyone out there have a Mugen part number for the proper collet or any other manufacturer that works ?
Old 06-02-2008, 09:47 AM   #1590
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baedarlboo View Post
It does suck that the car does not come with enough shims. I had to dig, dig and dig some more to barely come up with enough (right size) shims to make the clutch work perfect.
I don't know if this work in your engine ..... I'm using another 5x8 bearing as shims substitute ( so total three 5x8 bearings before the clutchbell ).

Tamiya, Xray and Serpent sell the shims you are looking : 5x8x0.3
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote