R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-01-2007, 08:56 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default not planning to spend much but i chose them already

done with electric...wana move on to nitro...
did my research and came up with some solutions.now i just gota decide...
nothing too pricey...wanted a RTR kit before...but now i wana get into sth that is competitive out of the box. so i looked at G4S which seems to be the best bang for the buck. or should i get a used higher end car?
the nt1 would be a great car but i cant afford to spend so much buying seperate things...i spent more than 2000 in this hobby already...on electric on road...and electric micro offroad. and of course mini-z during winter.

anwyays...opinions? let em know thx guys
topekoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:58 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Buy what you can find parts easily for. Used is ok if it comes from someone who took good care of it.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:24 PM   #3
Tech Adept

well the local hobby shop carry v-one -rrr belt parts..and serpent and mugen...but those kits are too expensive for me.
so i rather find out wat breaks easily and buy extra parts online in advance.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:42 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Too expensive? a G4S is going to be just about the same price. Plus, what happens if you unexpectadly break something? You have to order online and wait...means less practice. At least if you can get parts locally if you break something you didn't expect, you have a chance to find the part at the shop and get back out there quickly. The G4S is a good car, but I would be hesitant to buy one with so few LHS carrying items for it. When you're starting you will break some things and may not have expected it.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:09 PM   #5
Tech Regular

The G4s RTR is ready to compete out of the box and only costs $400. It already has a competetive motor (for beginner/novice class), foams, tuned pipe, rx battery, radio and electronics. Just like you said, buy parts that commonly break like hubs, arms, steering knuckles online and stock up. You should also include pinions and spur gears. The G4s is already high end but you can always buy optional parts, just like you can buy option parts for RRR and MTX4.

Try racedayhobbies.com
Old 04-02-2007, 05:36 AM   #6
Tech Adept

is the tamiya tg10 mk2SG any good?
its exactly 300usd....
Old 04-02-2007, 03:37 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Being competitive is really a relative term. What I would consider competitive is any of the top 5 (not ranked in any order):

RRR / MTX-4 / 720 / NT1 / G4S

If you go to my Web site and checkout the Team XRAY NT1 Winternats analysis, you'll see that the guys running the G4S chassis did pretty good - but I have no idea what engine those guys were using.

What cars and engines are the guys you're going to race against using? How is everyone's driving? (i.e. crashing, driving line, bumping other cars) How are the cars handling on the track? (i.e. understeer, oversteer, neutral?) Are most of the guys experienced or new?

If your expectations are to have a good time and just not come in last place, then almost anything will do. If you have aspirations for the A/B Main, then your setup, engine tuning and driving needs to be pretty good and you need to have a pretty decent chassis and engine.

IMO, it's always better to wait and spend a little bit more, than buy less and be disappointed and end up buying twice (i.e. buying another chassis and/or another engine).

Just my 2 cents...
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:49 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Cool

I think the best solution for you is to save up enough money so when your ready you can make a great choice in a quality kit Nitro is not cheap specially if you want to race. so don't be in a rush take your time maybe you can sell some of your electric stuff.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:07 PM   #9
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I have a Mugen Mtx3 Pro series, with a great Nova Rossi engine, the only thing it needs is a new chassis brace/belt tensioner ,and a few 3mm screws. It's also got a good 600mah battery in it.

I have been very sick and can't clean it up, or spend alot of time fixing it up to sell it for what it's worth, pay the shipping and gimme $100.00 and it;s yours.

It should still be competitive, I won alot of races with it.

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:48 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Default mtx3

car is a lil bit old for me...how long have u had it?
Old 04-02-2007, 08:57 PM   #11
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Bought it new when the pro specs 1st came out. I just thought if your budget was tight, and you weren't sure nitro was gonna be for you....

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:16 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by topekoms
well the local hobby shop carry v-one -rrr belt parts..and serpent and mugen...but those kits are too expensive for me.
so i rather find out wat breaks easily and buy extra parts online in advance.
Dude, what is your budget for a kit? Take in consideration that you need an engine, pipe, starter box. You might want to salvage your radio/servos from your electric.

-- Wario
wario69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:28 AM   #13
Tech Adept

used mtx3 or new g4s....tough decision
Old 04-03-2007, 10:12 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Not sure if you saw this yet, but I thought I would post it anyway..

G4S RTR "Joys of Driving" marketing collateral - Interesting read
http://www.teammagic.com.tw/en/profr...2080&pageNum=1

G4S build review by SlowSteady:
http://www.teammagic.com.tw/en/tmfra...12163955-24546

I really haven't been looking at the G4S at all - mostly the top3, but the G4S seems to be a big improvement over the G4. Let me know what you think...
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:20 AM   #15
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by topekoms
used mtx3 or new g4s....tough decision
The MTX3 is a good car. There are a few 3's still running in the Rose City club in Portland and they're competitive.
Chemical X is offline   Reply With Quote