R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-03-2007, 07:01 PM   #61

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodude
The way i see it, the only way to get an accurate reading with the durometers is to mount it on a stand, otherwise it all depends on how hard you push.
You push down until you hit the bottom of the gauge against the tire. Thats how your supposed to do it. This one even comes with instructions but I dont need it.

Also be sure the gauge is standing straight up.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:02 PM   #62

Also here is another use for it. Got a tire without markings on it and your not sure what shore it is....not anymore.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:46 PM   #63
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
You push down until you hit the bottom of the gauge against the tire. Thats how your supposed to do it. This one even comes with instructions but I dont need it.

Also be sure the gauge is standing straight up.
Great! Thanks for the tips. I can't wait unitll mine gets here.
Wanabrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:24 PM   #64
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The best way I've been shown how to use the handheld unit without a stand is to "roll" it across the tire surface with the face pointing towards you. Art Carbonnell showed me how to do it properly.

As you roll the gauge towards you, you will see that the reading maxes out as the base is flat against the tire. If you just hold the base (and thus the indentor) flat on the tire surface you are not getting the max reading but for only a split second and then the reading will drop down as the indentor settles into the tire surface.

If you have a dual dial gauge this is a mute point as the second indicator will automatically stay at the max reading until you reset it, but with the Max Mod and most others without a dual dial system you need to be a little more precise in your measurement method.
BYRON'S FUEL/TWISTER TIRES
cdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:30 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelong
The best way I've been shown how to use the handheld unit without a stand is to "roll" it across the tire surface with the face pointing towards you. Art Carbonnell showed me how to do it properly.

As you roll the gauge towards you, you will see that the reading maxes out as the base is flat against the tire. If you just hold the base (and thus the indentor) flat on the tire surface you are not getting the max reading but for only a split second and then the reading will drop down as the indentor settles into the tire surface.

If you have a dual dial gauge this is a mute point as the second indicator will automatically stay at the max reading until you reset it, but with the Max Mod and most others without a dual dial system you need to be a little more precise in your measurement method.
Thats what I was doing. Rolling it and watching for the max reading. Worked great.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:42 PM   #66

Ok some more tires.

GRP 40 = 40 shore on the duro
Twister 37 Shore = 37 Shore on the duro

But heres the weird one. I have some older jaco nitro shoes , but they were immediatly placed into a zip lock bag upon purchase and have sat inside in their box. So no light or air.

The 38 shore = 50 shore! on the duro
The 40 shore = 48 shore! on the duro

Thats pretty far off.

The other difference is the jacos are full sized while all the other tires have been trued down some. All my tires are in zip lock bags so they all should rate the same. All stored the same. Im going to true them and see what happens.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:08 PM   #67
Tech Master

you must have a pretty damn good durometer and perfectly binned tires

I see your numbers, but there's no way that many tires could rate EXACTLY spot on with a different standard of durometer than the manufacturers use to bin the tires.

My ranges above were done with some new and some used tires.... more representative of what I think the average user will see with the Max Mod. Remember... this is not to QC manufacturers tire binning, but to bin your own tire stock.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:22 PM   #68

You should see my face. Im pretty shocked , its not just getting close its hitting it nearly spot on.....

But heres another

Fast Tire 35 Shore - 37 Shore on the durometer.

So there was a difference on that one. Im also trying new and used tires. Not of each but on all my tests some are new some are old.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:34 PM   #69
Tech Master

my results were complied from about 20 full sets of tires..... yes, about 80 tires

i think the ranges are quite good considering some are fresh out of the box, some are fresh but only trued and some are used and re-trued into matched sets.

this is just another great tuning tool- no matter how close you are reading to binned tires.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:43 PM   #70

Quote:
my results were complied from about 20 full sets of tires..... yes, about 80 tires

i think the ranges are quite good considering some are fresh out of the box, some are fresh but only trued and some are used and re-trued into matched sets.

this is just another great tuning tool- no matter how close you are reading to binned tires.
Yeah ive got some pretty used up wheels with almost no tire left, some full size and brand new , medium size. Im trying them all.

Also just tried a set of 37 shore kawaharas , brand new , trued for racing. 37 shore! LOL , It must be my irish luck or something.

Also I think thats about it for me on tires. Im tapped out. All I can do now is try different ranges of a few of these. But yeah I was thinking about your comment when just now trying the kawahara and pushing down the gauge first try it came right down to 37 shore on the dot. I laughed.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 04-03-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:58 PM   #71
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This is just too unbelievably funny. Either both of you are doing it right and you're just coming up with some really weird results - or one of you is doing it wrong - or both of you are doing it wrong.

At this point, I'm not sure what to think about the accuracy of the durometer.

Perhaps someone else in your respective households can do the test and see what values they come up with. Just read them the instructions and don't tell or show them how to do it - or we need to find someone else with a MaxMod and see what type of values that person comes up with.

Maybe someone's durometer got dropped and just isn't working right.
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:16 PM   #72
Tech Master

seeing how you don't have one or really know it's usefulness, maybe you should just find another thread to post in.

you seem to post your vast knowledge in nearly every post here without really understanding what your talking about. what exactly is your background

we're both quite happy with our results. it's another tuning tool for comparison only- not a QC device.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:25 AM   #73
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

As soon as mine shows up, I'll post some results.
Wanabrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:06 AM   #74

Quote:
seeing how you don't have one or really know it's usefulness, maybe you should just find another thread to post in.

you seem to post your vast knowledge in nearly every post here without really understanding what your talking about. what exactly is your background

we're both quite happy with our results. it's another tuning tool for comparison only- not a QC device.
Yeah I think its just luck really or something. I did have the jacos 38 shore shooting up to 50 shore. Which upon rechecking just now......... here in the morning their looking at about 48 shore. Probably just me getting used to the gauge. I think I was pressing harder before.

So there are some tires off and still reading the same off, but the rest of my lots seems freakishly close. Oh well good to know. I would have run those jacos and probably not been happy with their performance. Now im going to true them, see how it goes.

.......Yup just trued off 1 mm and there still kinda warm even. 48 shore again. Squeezing these guys they feel like 45's so something happened with these tires sitting in the bag or not. They are like probably 1-2 years old sitting in that bag. Im going to true them down to race spec and go from there in a little.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 04-04-2007 at 06:18 AM.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:06 AM   #75

Heres a little update on the Jacos. I trued them down and put Tire Tweak on them. After that they went down to 44 Shore for the past two mornings. So it seems the tweak and the extra cutting brought them back a little.

Im wondering how Jacos will rate from others. Cant wait to see some more numbers from whoever got them. Also superior should be ordering more Max Mod Durometers so they should have them in stock soon.