R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-29-2007, 12:15 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTACO
As the quality and price of RC cars goes up, the overall engineering differences and functional differences between cars tends to go down. Manufacturers of high end RC cars like we own are all trying to accomplish the same thing. The catch is that they all have to adhere to that same laws of physics. What happens, is that after 20 years of trial, testing, and racing, companies like Mugen, Serpent, and Kyosho end up with very very similar offerings to the table. The engineering of high end RCs has gotten to the point now that unless the gravitational constant of the earth increases we won't see much more drastic improvement.

So to answer your question from my point of view. Pick the car your track supports via parts ect. Either car is a good choice
Great advice.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:52 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

hey man i have a mrx4 for sale used for less than an hour at moorebank sydney track with a stack of brand new parts worth over $350 and a novarossi efra pipe

selling because its hard to manage 2 cars and i can race my rrr at more loctaions here in sydney so im sticking to 1:10

pm me for more info
mrgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:07 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have run both cars , at tracks on both coasts i honesty think that

for most people the 960 will be easier to set up and drive and they will

be faster with it , the sweet spot in set up is bigger with the 960, with the

mugen i had to work at it and it felt as if it would change as the day went on
Old 03-29-2007, 10:19 AM   #19
Suspended

i was thinking of getting a MRX4R so i can have both cars...
MERCCER4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:04 AM   #20
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via MSN to Pooh2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERCCER4LIFE
i was thinking of getting a MRX4R so i can have both cars...
Get the MRX4R and stay close 2 the stock setup. The car is very ez 2 build and u won't have any problems with it. The clutch is IMO the best on the market! Mugen has used the same clutch system 4 about 7 or 8 years. So that says alot. All the cars r good these days. I just feel the Mugen is the best. Not 2 take anything from the other cars on the market.

"Since the Bible and the church are obviously mistaken in telling us where we came from, how can we trust them to tell us where we are going"?
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:04 PM   #21
Tech Addict

To be very honest if I was running 1/8 or were to buy a 1/8 scale car I would buy nothing other than a Kyosho Evolva. That's the car I like the best.

Now of the 2 cars mentioned above I think the Serpent has alot more innovation in the design beyond the typical setup of most others on the market. Serpent has, for many years been on the forfront of R/C Innovation and even invented the original Centax Clutch system. That isn't to say no other car has innovations, but I feel personally that Serpent has a better car as far as innovation and quality are concerned. I still have a sweet spot for that Evolva, but I would drive a Serpent 960.

FYI: I have no driving experience with ANY of the 1/8 scales
Old 03-29-2007, 04:07 PM   #22
Suspended

i still love driving my SERPENT 950....
MERCCER4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:11 PM   #23
Tech Rookie

One thing worth considering is that some of the 950R optionals will also fit on the 960, if your bro has any of those on his. I upgraded last year from 950 to 960 and was able to reuse my front CVs, alu radio plate mounting bracket, and middle bearing block. I have only driven these 2 cars and I am very happy with the 960.
robd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:18 PM   #24
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTACO
As the quality and price of RC cars goes up, the overall engineering differences and functional differences between cars tends to go down. Manufacturers of high end RC cars like we own are all trying to accomplish the same thing. The catch is that they all have to adhere to that same laws of physics. What happens, is that after 20 years of trial, testing, and racing, companies like Mugen, Serpent, and Kyosho end up with very very similar offerings to the table. The engineering of high end RCs has gotten to the point now that unless the gravitational constant of the earth increases we won't see much more drastic improvement.

So to answer your question from my point of view. Pick the car your track supports via parts ect. Either car is a good choice

I think big taco is correct. What ever is run locally to you is by far the best choice. We have lost of mugens and serpents here in Florida so one of them would be more practicle here. Look at your area...
rangulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:21 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The MRX4R is a very stable car and handles very very well with box setup. I've driven 960's before but to me they tend to be loose in the rear but they are fast into the corners. IMHO the Mugen is just easier to setup and it maintains it's setting.
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:06 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstorm76
The MRX4R is a very stable car and handles very very well with box setup. I've driven 960's before but to me they tend to be loose in the rear but they are fast into the corners. IMHO the Mugen is just easier to setup and it maintains it's setting.
Just the opposite! 960 tends to be too planted in the rear!
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:38 PM   #27
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneland
Just the opposite! 960 tends to be too planted in the rear!
This is what someone said before, you'll get differing answers or opinions depending on who you ask.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:30 PM   #28
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd
This is what someone said before, you'll get differing answers or opinions depending on who you ask.
You will always hear different opinions......
I would go with the advise mentioned earlier, go with the brand your LHS can easy get parts for.......
Old 03-31-2007, 03:18 PM   #29
Tech Elite

I have seen them both run and have driven both. I am a Serpent driver. Like many that are brand loyal, I like the Serpent due to parts availability and being familiar with its setup. The 960-07 sets up exactly as the regular 960. (Ford Vs. Chevy, Nissan vs. Toyota) the answer will always vary.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:58 PM   #30
Tech Rookie

Why not a Motonica ???
I drove a Mugen till last year . I say that the Mugen is easyer to drive and to set it up . The serpent is a very good car too but need to be understanded better .

Now we have changed to motonica . The first one wasn´t so good and this is true . Not bad . But not so good like a mugen .
Now we have tested the R type of motonica and I say that this is the car of the future .If you thing that a mugen is easy to drive than you will remain impressed how quite to drive is the motonica . Fast direction chandes but always easy to drive .

But if I have to choose between Serpent or Mugen , I will drive a Mugen . For me the best car after Motonica !!!!
BP Vortex is offline   Reply With Quote