Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
why are .21 onroad engines soo overpriced? >

why are .21 onroad engines soo overpriced?

why are .21 onroad engines soo overpriced?

Old 04-23-2007, 02:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default why are .21 onroad engines soo overpriced?

it seems that .21 onroad engines are a lot more expensive than their .21 offroad brothers.
i don't see any difference in cost of materials or the manufacturing process so why are they a lot more expensive?
Old 04-23-2007, 04:18 AM
Tech Adept

It's the same way with the .12 motors as well (there are just fewer meant for offroad).

Really I dunno. It may because of the extra research and testing they do with the onroad engines to get them at their peak performance.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

im sure if engines would be cheaper then it would attract more people into the class.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The class itself is the highest of highest end for nitro racing on-road. The cars themselves have been going down in price but used to be quite exspensive. The motors themselves have exotic metals , high quality and very high precision machines cutting them with lots of r&d , this equals high costs. There are more budget based motors to get you going. But when you start getting high profile and or modified motors from Italy , prepare to drop the big bucks.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

Supply and demand. You know you have a good product, you can set your price accordingly.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

Default Why

Yep, it supply and demand.

If they sold as many On-Road engines as they do for Off Road they would have lower prices too.

That’s one of the benefits the Sport of RC racing would have if we grow it into the “mainstream”, the more units sold, the lower the costs will be.

Look at it in simple terms, 10 thousand units vs. 100 thousand units = lower cost for all.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

If you look at the quicktime movie on the novarossi site (on the history page) you get an idea why there so pricy....so much special machines!
Old 04-23-2007, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

Default Why

On-Road engines are indeed special works of art and much research goes into their development but if a distributer placed an order for 100 thousand of a unit, I’m sure the pricing for that unit would reflect the size of the order. Correct?

If a manufacturer wants to sell more product, they must promote their product to a large audence, right now the RC racer arena is too small to ever sell 100 thousand of any single product; with the possible exception of tires & batteries.

The price of a product is always better with Hi-volume purchasing power. The problem with On-Road engine Hi-pricing is related to the low volume of purchasing of units on a global scale.

Promoting RC racing at the same old places & venues where the "mainstream population" never goes or will see, will never grow the industry to more than it is today.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I just don't understand how a product so small can cost that much. You can buy a 1:1 engine for the same amount.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:11 PM
Tech Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by quietstorm76
I just don't understand how a product so small can cost that much. You can buy a 1:1 engine for the same amount.
Ahem......I'm sorry but you are not going to buy a 1:1 engine that makes 14.2 HP per cubic inch for $800.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:20 PM
Tech Addict

Overpriced is really a general term and only relevant to an individual. Some people have no problem spending $600+ on an engine every new race season. Some people look for the best deal they can get.

I know more than a couple people who go into a season or into the hobby all together with no budget at all. They want the best they can get and they really pay for it.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dredd
Overpriced is really a general term and only relevant to an individual. Some people have no problem spending $600+ on an engine every new race season. Some people look for the best deal they can get.

I know more than a couple people who go into a season or into the hobby all together with no budget at all. They want the best they can get and they really pay for it.

Very good point and because of that reason a 35 plus 21 is $550.00. Someone is always willing to pay it.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

you also have to factor in the Euro dollar is stronger & that also drives the price in the U.S. for certain overseas Manufacturers
Old 04-23-2007, 05:33 PM
Tech Regular

If you serious racin' It is really expensive really because you want to catch up with those sponsor driver' but if you just runnin' on parking lot' there is a motor only over $200.00'
Old 04-23-2007, 07:47 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by GMartinez
you also have to factor in the Euro dollar is stronger & that also drives the price in the U.S. for certain overseas Manufacturers
For the US there is the yen, yuan, vs. the dollar. We should be seeing cheaper motors coming from asia with weaker currency.

Any US made motors anymore? I don't see why there isn't a company that can feasibly do this. As long as they could design competitive motors, there could be a good source of engines at a consistant price (no currency fluctuation). As a matter of fact, motors exported to europe might enjoy a price advantage because of weaker dollar to the Euro. However I'm not taking into account whatever tarrif barrier us goods have in europe or asia.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.