Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Integy tire truer.......... >

Integy tire truer..........

Integy tire truer..........

Old 11-23-2006, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

Default Integy tire truer..........

http://integy.automated-shops.com/cg...21106442530.fe -Is this unit any good?, or do i go for the Hudy...............
Old 11-23-2006, 08:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Taylorm
http://integy.automated-shops.com/cg...21106442530.fe -Is this unit any good?, or do i go for the Hudy...............
You either go for the $470.00+/- Hudy or the $250.00 OFNA automatic specially if you are going to true 8 scale tires.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

here's my recommendation.......

find a used Integy here on the FS forum for about $110- $120 (average going rate for a used one). Then buy the Hudy motor for $85 and a bit if you want for about $30.... maybe the used Integy will already have it- mine did!!

You can mod the Integy to fit that Hudy motor. You need to do some soldering on the PCB board to remove the Deans connectors installed in it and then hard wire the Hudy motor. The Hudy is a bit larger in diameter and will not clear the deans connectors on the stock PCB set-up.

You will also have to turn the On/Off switch upside down to clear the motor. You can use the stock fuse holder, but it will require just stuffing it inside the case as it will not clear the motor either. I bought a 30 amp RV circuit breaker for mine.... it is made by Borg Warner... and it's small. I epoxied to the top inside back of the case. It has an automatic reset after about 30 seconds if you happen to trip it... I've never tripped it cutting 5mm off a 1/8th rear tire.

I have $220 invested in my truer!! And it's sweet!!
Old 11-23-2006, 04:16 PM
Tech Master

i had this truer and it works good. first thing to do when you get one is toss the saw cutter blade. get yourself a carbide bit and it will cut just like the $500 truer. the motor that comes with it works just fine.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dakrat
i had this truer and it works good. first thing to do when you get one is toss the saw cutter blade. get yourself a carbide bit and it will cut just like the $500 truer. the motor that comes with it works just fine.
The Integy motor works fine if you don't mind cutting 1mm at a time. I had the carbide bit with the Integy motor.... still no difference- it was a dog. It has NO torque at all compared to the Hudy motor.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Go for the OFNA Automatic tire truer the motor is as strong as the Hudy Automatic tire truer for merely half the price.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cdelong
here's my recommendation.......

find a used Integy here on the FS forum for about $110- $120 (average going rate for a used one). Then buy the Hudy motor for $85 and a bit if you want for about $30.... maybe the used Integy will already have it- mine did!!

You can mod the Integy to fit that Hudy motor. You need to do some soldering on the PCB board to remove the Deans connectors installed in it and then hard wire the Hudy motor. The Hudy is a bit larger in diameter and will not clear the deans connectors on the stock PCB set-up.

You will also have to turn the On/Off switch upside down to clear the motor. You can use the stock fuse holder, but it will require just stuffing it inside the case as it will not clear the motor either. I bought a 30 amp RV circuit breaker for mine.... it is made by Borg Warner... and it's small. I epoxied to the top inside back of the case. It has an automatic reset after about 30 seconds if you happen to trip it... I've never tripped it cutting 5mm off a 1/8th rear tire.

I have $220 invested in my truer!! And it's sweet!!
Can you pm me a pic of the inside or maybe post it here? I have the Integy and I like it but the motor is underpowered and i'd like to do this mod. Also, where can you buy the hudy motor and bit? Thanks.

For the price, you can't beat this truer. You just have to have a little patience but it works great.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

I'm not 100% he has the motor in stock, but I got mine at

www.ashfordhobby.com , (800)380-6517- you'll get some of the best customer service from an online retailer you've ever had!!

Give him a call and tell him Corey referred you. If he does not have it, it will take about a week to get in. It's well worth the $85 or so that the motor costs.

I'll take some pics later today and post them here.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

Here's the modded pics:

#1) There's no way the dinky Integy motor compares to the Hudy

#2). Here's the PCB work I had to do.... the Integy motor and main power originally used deans connectors, of which the female half was soldered to the PCB board and the male half plugged into them. The Dean's connectors would not clear the Hudy motor. I hard wired the motor and main power coming in directly to the PCB board instead of using the Dean's connectors. I recommend tinning the wires at a 90 degree angle before hard wiring them to the PCB.... it's that tight!!

#3). Here's the Borg warner 30 amp circuit breaker. The original fuse connector can be tucked behind the motor, but it will have to be inside the case. I used this circuit breaker because it is self resetting after 30 seconds, so there is no need to open the c ase to change the fuse. It is epoxied to the upper case above the motor.

#4). Here's the back of the case. On/Off switch had to be turned upside down to clear the motor. I aslo put an undercoating plug in the hole where the original fuse was to keep the clean look.
Attached Thumbnails Integy tire truer..........-motors.jpg   Integy tire truer..........-pcb-board.jpg   Integy tire truer..........-circuit-breaker.jpg   Integy tire truer..........-back-cover.jpg  
Old 11-24-2006, 09:39 PM
Tech Elite

i have this truer,i only do 1/12 and 1/10 tires on it for 1/8 it will not work good,yes the motor sucks but the thing was cheap. the hudy bit is not better than the hack saw blade, i get better tires from the hack saw,just go to the store and get a good hack saw blade and to cut it to size just use pliers and bend it and it breaks real easy,change the blade often, or you can go buy a H.A.R.D truer, you can get a car for one of these babys but i hear they work good. oh and they use a blade too.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
i have this truer,i only do 1/12 and 1/10 tires on it for 1/8 it will not work good,yes the motor sucks but the thing was cheap. the hudy bit is not better than the hack saw blade, i get better tires from the hack saw,just go to the store and get a good hack saw blade and to cut it to size just use pliers and bend it and it breaks real easy,change the blade often, or you can go buy a H.A.R.D truer, you can get a car for one of these babys but i hear they work good. oh and they use a blade too.

You think that a hack saw blade cuts better than the Hudy Carbide blade.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
A hack saw blade??? It might work just as good on the Integy truer since you can only do 1mm at a time either way. But on a REAL truer there is NO comparison. Not by a long shot. Most racers don't want to spend 10 minutes trueing one set of tires. You will ALWAYS get what you pay for. I would recommend the OFNA truer if money is an issue. Kamikaze hobbies know what they are talking about. As does Richy from Team Taylor hobbies. They do this for a living and have no reason to steer you wrong. Good luck!!!
Old 11-25-2006, 01:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cdelong
I'm not 100% he has the motor in stock, but I got mine at

www.ashfordhobby.com , (800)380-6517- you'll get some of the best customer service from an online retailer you've ever had!!

Give him a call and tell him Corey referred you. If he does not have it, it will take about a week to get in. It's well worth the $85 or so that the motor costs.

I'll take some pics later today and post them here.
Thanks for the fast response and quick pics. I'll let him know you referred him. Really appreciate it.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Taylorm
Taylorm, you did not mention about the money issue, this has always been a sore subject to me. go for the best that money can buy that is if you have a disposable money. you see I have this truer and I do not see anything wrong with it. motor not strong enough..... I give you that.. but whatever happened to "preparation"? I hope you prepare before you go to the races. I true my tires way before the races so that i am not in a hurry. cutting the tires in 1mm increment on this truer is not true. I can cut up to 3mm in one pass . hacksaw blade does not cut as fine as a carbide tip however if you keep it new it will do the job. a hacksaw blade will give you plenty of blade for mere $2 bucks. no doubt Kamikaze and Richey will not steer you wrong.
but for the money? it will do. the best truer is not going to win you races but a good motor, servos, quality tires/ right compound will do wonders for you.
think about it.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RCRjuanabbe
Taylorm, you did not mention about the money issue, this has always been a sore subject to me. go for the best that money can buy that is if you have a disposable money. you see I have this truer and I do not see anything wrong with it. motor not strong enough..... I give you that.. but whatever happened to "preparation"? I hope you prepare before you go to the races. I true my tires way before the races so that i am not in a hurry. cutting the tires in 1mm increment on this truer is not true. I can cut up to 3mm in one pass . hacksaw blade does not cut as fine as a carbide tip however if you keep it new it will do the job. a hacksaw blade will give you plenty of blade for mere $2 bucks. no doubt Kamikaze and Richey will not steer you wrong.
but for the money? it will do. the best truer is not going to win you races but a good motor, servos, quality tires/ right compound will do wonders for you.
think about it.
I will agree here 100%. If money is an issue, then by all means follow this procedure. A lot of us 1:8 scalers choose to true at the track do to changing track conditions, or a chunck tire, etc. And as far as a 1 or 3mm cut, I own 2 hudy truers both with carbide bits and only true in 2mm increments. The decision is all yours and what your comfortable with $$ wise. After all it's only trueing tires. Be sure to get a good wrasp or tire file also to round the corners after your truing. You need a round edge for proper grip and avoid chuncking. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.