R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-23-2007, 05:50 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BIG DADDY8
??set up for HPI RS4 RTR 3 evo??

I got a HPI rtr 3 evo for my daughter to start running nitro with us and need a set up for asphalt. It does alot of bouncing around the track . Does anyone have suggetions for what springs and shock oil to run that would help out? Any suggetions would be greatful. Thanks
BIG DADDY8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:27 AM   #2
Tech Master

Start with black kit springs and 40 or 50 wt shock oil all around. 0 degrees toe in front. 5mm/5.5mm f/r ride height ( you can go just a bit higher if the track is really rough). 1 degree camber front, 1.5 degree camber rear. Make sure you are either using the spring in the front diff, or use 100000 diff oil up front. This should give you a good base line setup for rubber tire on asphalt. If you are running foam, increase the camber a bit.

Make sure that you arn't preloading the shock springs too much with the preload spacers. The HPI shocks, when built by the manual will only take a very small preload spacer. Using a larger spacer will only mess up the spring rate. You might want to get some threaded shocks for better ride height control. HPI does sell a pretty good composite body threaded shock for the pro3 thats a lot cheaper then some of the aluminum ones on the market.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:26 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BIG DADDY8

Tried it out and it worked great. Now i have to get it to stop swaying around the turns so much. Any more suggestion from you or anyone else . Any and all will help. Thanks
BIG DADDY8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:19 PM   #4
Tech Master

When you say "sway", are you talking about chassis roll or is the car not tracking evenly? If the chassis is rolling, don't worry about it as long at its not traction rolling. Are you getting wheel lift and loosing traction in the rear?
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:42 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile RS4 rtr evo3

BigDaddy - I've got one of these cars too and out in my street the chassis was rolling and it was loose under power. I upgraded to the graphite shock towers, aluminum threaded shocks with purple caps (50wt. front/40wt. rear), adjustable camber/toe links, purple sway bar up front and harder compound foam tires up front too. It helped but in a couple weeks I'll find out if it'll hook up on the track!
srrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote