Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 and 1/10

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default 1/8 and 1/10

Does 1/10 (touring) scale make you a better 1/8 scale driver or vice versa. I've never driven 1/8 scale but I see it in my future.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lil-bump
Does 1/10 (touring) scale make you a better 1/8 scale driver or vice versa. I've never driven 1/8 scale but I see it in my future.
That is a good question. I've heard opinions from two different perspectives. The first view is that 1/10 touring cars are not as stable as the bigger (and faster) 1/8th cars. Although 1/8th is faster, the cars handle better and are smoother on the track making them easier to drive. If you can drive a squirmy touring car at 50+ mph then you should be able to handle a larger, more stable car at 70+ mph.

Then there are the people (not many but a few) who feel that 1/8th is the formula one of racing and the only way to be good is to race, race, race 1/8th scale. One guy said that if you worry about controlling the car at the speed in which they operate, then this class is not for you. I think that was a bunch of bs. I purchased a car and became comfortable enough to race it.

I have driven both and although I am not fast, I would say that driving the 1/10 nitro touring cars is a great stepping stone to racing 1/8th. If you get a 1/8 car, keep your 1/10 tc to compare the classes. That is what I am doing. I started racing nitro touring cars and 1/8th cars at the same time. I came from the electric side.

Good luck
Loren
Old 04-22-2007, 03:29 PM
Tech Addict

I think that 1/10 is more competitive because it's a little more affordable to get into (kits are cheaper and engines are cheaper). I don't think you'll get better at 1/8 by driving 1/10 esxcept for the fact that you may learn the track to such a degree that in a 1/8 scale which has better handling and speed, you will be faster simply because you know the track. I think it's just practice at your locak track(s).
Old 04-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Tech Adept

1/10 Nitro Touring seems to be cheaper. In reality, it really isn't that much cheaper than 1/8.

lil-bump - It depends on what skills you are wanting to get better at and how the cars are setup. Running 1/10 touring after running 1/8, the touring car will "feel" slower thus giving you time to react to the track. The few guys that do both at my track will say that running 1/10 feels like running a "toy" car. This is mainly due to how fast a 1/8th scale moves on both the straight-aways and through the corners.

Going from a car that is setup properly, the only difference you'll notice is the difference in overall speed. All other driving differences are just that, different (I don't drive my 1/10 the same way as my 1/8, two very different styles of driving).

So all you gain by running both is getting use to the higher speeds from 1/8(this will help make you better) and track time (most important thing for getting better).
Old 04-22-2007, 05:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

driving touring cars made me drive smoother as they are not as stable as an 8th scale.

8th scale quickened my reflexes so whenever I drive anything else it just seems too easy.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:12 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by darkangel
1/10 Nitro Touring seems to be cheaper. In reality, it really isn't that much cheaper than 1/8.

lil-bump - It depends on what skills you are wanting to get better at and how the cars are setup. Running 1/10 touring after running 1/8, the touring car will "feel" slower thus giving you time to react to the track. The few guys that do both at my track will say that running 1/10 feels like running a "toy" car. This is mainly due to how fast a 1/8th scale moves on both the straight-aways and through the corners.

Going from a car that is setup properly, the only difference you'll notice is the difference in overall speed. All other driving differences are just that, different (I don't drive my 1/10 the same way as my 1/8, two very different styles of driving).

So all you gain by running both is getting use to the higher speeds from 1/8(this will help make you better) and track time (most important thing for getting better).
No 1/10 is cheaper to get into, kits are most definately cheaper, and engines are most definately cheaper. That means to start...less initial cost on the actual car. Tires are also cheaper. Other than that I would guess close, but 1/10 is cheaper no matter what. Even slightly.

Alot of it is initial cost. Kit and engine (radio not included as it is interchangable).

That aside I think that driving the car you are racing will make you better. Just like driving a Corvette around a track won't make you a better IRL driver by itself.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:34 PM
moy
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

for me i drive 1/10 before for 2 to 3 months then switch to 1/8 then got 1/10 again,when i went back driving 1/10 its easier,coz you were used to drive bigger then went smaller the track seems wider.

they say that 1/8 is point and shoot while 1/10 is you hug the corners..
as for the cost 1/10 is cheaper than 1/8,a motor alone cost a 1/10 kit and an engine.tires to twice the price of 1/10.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i started in 1/10th nitro tourer and recently bought a kyosho evolva and i have practiced with it a couple of times.
I think it has improved my 1/10th driving because with 1/8th you have to push 100% for the whole race. this teaches you to be very consistant.
also, once you have driven something as fast as a 1/8th car blazing full tilt around the track, anything slower is easier to drive because you got more time to react.
8th scale is a lot of fun!
Old 04-23-2007, 02:09 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by twiggy
i started in 1/10th nitro tourer and recently bought a kyosho evolva and i have practiced with it a couple of times.
I think it has improved my 1/10th driving because with 1/8th you have to push 100% for the whole race. this teaches you to be very consistant.
also, once you have driven something as fast as a 1/8th car blazing full tilt around the track, anything slower is easier to drive because you got more time to react.
8th scale is a lot of fun!
Yeah, but not in all areas. Some places like here for example have no tracks within 2hours drive that can support 1/8 well enough to make it worth the time.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Thanks for all the feedback guys. This was a hot subject within our club last year. The 1/10 scale drivers say that touring car is harder than 1/8 scale and the 1/8 scale guys said the opposite. But most agreed that setup plays a bigger part in 1/10 scale rather than 1/8 scale
Old 04-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by lil-bump
Thanks for all the feedback guys. This was a hot subject within our club last year. The 1/10 scale drivers say that touring car is harder than 1/8 scale and the 1/8 scale guys said the opposite. But most agreed that setup plays a bigger part in 1/10 scale rather than 1/8 scale
I would say 1/10 is harder because there's more competition.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:00 PM
Tech Adept

ya i really agree
Old 04-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by kyosho 444
ya i really agree
Is it me or does anyone else notice this guy going into every thread and posting single sentance comments for everything even when the comment makes no sense given the topic at hand?
Old 04-23-2007, 08:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

This dude is F%$5N annoying, he is a spammer
Old 04-23-2007, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dredd
Is it me or does anyone else notice this guy going into every thread and posting single sentance comments for everything even when the comment makes no sense given the topic at hand?

I agree with you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.