R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-30-2003, 08:01 PM   #16
Tech Initiate

do you mean the gear mesh between the clutchbell and the spur gears?
Jfawwaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 08:14 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

yes. i had to take it out to tighten some screws that vibrated almost off. And when i tried to put it back together, the tighter i tightened the screws on the bottom of the chassis (the screws i had to take out to unmount the engine) the harder it was to push the car, both by hand and by driving. But if i didn't tighten them, they would also vibrate off. So i got some thread lock and tightened them enough to be in thier but not enough so that the drove or pushed hard. then after letting it sit for a day ( to make sure the thread lock was on good) I tied it out and thats when i noticed the clanging sound. Sorry for the long explanation.

I may take it to my lhs because i want to get a 2 speed engine anyway as soon as i get used to the single speed.
alucard13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 08:19 PM   #18
Tech Initiate

did you crash it hard? your chassis could be bent and thus not allowing you to be able to set the gear mesh with the stock engine mount placement.
Jfawwaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 08:29 PM   #19
Tech Fanatic

it hasn't taken any major hits. I think the hardest hit was when i powerslide it into a car tire and the rear end of the car hit the tire. But it didn't start giving me any problems until i took the engine off. Although i guess it could have been bent and i didn't notice until i unscrewed it. If the chassis is bent how else can i tell and is it possible to fix?
Old 03-31-2003, 04:06 AM   #20
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to V-One S

to tell if it is bent, unscrew everything off the chassis and lye it on a dead flat surface.
like a pool table surface, as long as the chassis is clean that is.
if it lifts any where, throw it away basically

but to set your gear mesh, put a piece of paper (standard) in between the spur and clutch bell teeth and tighten so that it crimps.
the paper should fold at each tooth but not cut through,
it should always have the edge of the teeth marks if mesh is set.

did u follow that?
V-One S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 07:07 AM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Got it. I've heard of the paper trick, but no one really explained it to me. You are the first to tell me how to do it. Thanx for the tip.
Old 04-01-2003, 02:56 AM   #22
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to V-One S

No prob
we are all here to help.
V-One S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 07:35 AM   #23
Tech Initiate

i have a hpi nrs4 3 type ss i get the sameclinging noise , my friend gets the same noise also i went back and check the washer acording to the assembly instructions i went to the local hobby shop and ask them also i even replace the washer triple check the pilot nut holding the flywheel i even went as far as taking apart the 2 speed thinking it was the spur gears i even replaced the gears i checked the hpi racing website for updates after all this i came to a conclusion i feel it normal my car run beautiful no hestitation or any sort of promblem just a little clinging hope this all helped
nitroblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 08:50 AM   #24
Tech Fanatic

nitroblade,
thanx for the info. i have my car at my lhs getting checked out. i will post here what they find.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:43 AM   #25
Tech Initiate

hey aulcard13 ,
most definetly i would like to know if they find anything because i couldn't find anything if there a fix i like to know thank you
Old 04-04-2003, 02:23 PM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by nitroblade
hey aulcard13 ,
most definetly i would like to know if they find anything because i couldn't find anything if there a fix i like to know thank you
nitro,

I just got my car back today and the guy told me not to worry about the sound. he said i may have run it through water or something. he sprayed some wd-40 on the cluth bell and it still makes the sound, but he said it shouldn't cause any problems.
Old 04-04-2003, 02:30 PM   #27
Tech Initiate

alucard,
thank you for the reply glad nothing was wrong with the car, at least i know that my car is alright good luck
Old 04-04-2003, 03:16 PM   #28
Tech Fanatic

nitro,
news update my friend. not sure if this will work on your car, but follow THIS link. it talks about the clanging noise and what to do. this is for the nitro star 15fe engine
Old 04-04-2003, 03:49 PM   #29
Tech Initiate

aulcard ,
i saw that repair but i think the flywheel on trhe 15fe engine the pilot shaft is bigger but if you like to know i followed that repair it still did it i wrote to hpi today just to ask if there is a repair for that im waited on a reply hope to hear from them soon , i would definetly let you know friend talk to you soon with sopme good news i hope but until then keep racing because i am goiong to be
Old 04-04-2003, 10:29 PM   #30
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by nitroblade
aulcard ,
but until then keep racing because i am goiong to be
Right on brother. If anything happens, i can always buy new parts