Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New xr80 owner needs some advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New xr80 owner needs some advice

I have a couple of buddies that have been running the Power Racing XR80s at our local track so I picked one up so I could join the fun. The cars are fast and they are fun but I am looking to dial it in a bit more. Its a new class on 2 races have been run so we are learning. It there anyone that might have a setup for an oval track for these cars. Or at least a good starting point. Here is a video of one of my buddies running it when he first got it on our track.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mRUJYW1l41Q

Also where is a good place to get parts for these cars? I have had very little luck. I emailed powerracing and happy time and never got a responce and I actually placed an online order with larrys which I never got anything back on and also emailed him twice with no answer. I would at least like to get a receiver box like comes on the xr8. Not wild about the idea of what an impact would do not to mention all the stuff flying off the track hitting it running the open tray.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Tech Regular

There is a thread for the XR8 some where on this site. I was looking at one but the parts supports was lacking and I have heard it's gotten worse. From your experience, it looks like it is non-existent. I would recommend searching for the thread.

Here's the thread http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...&highlight=xr8

On a side note, that oval racing looks like it would be hell on an engine. Do the brakes ever get touched?
Old 08-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Tech Rookie

nah very little to no breaking unless someone spins. So far the engines are holding up really well. They are a blast. We are hoping to get them dialed in a break the track record. We have already tied it and thats with stock setup very little pratice and very hot temps. They are well worth the money.

One of my other buddies actually owns a hobby shop and can get parts pretty easily but they have like a $20 minimum on shipping so its really not worth ordering a $5 part and putting that kind of shipping on it. He trys to wait until he has several items to order to make it worth the shipping and he just placed an order a few days before I bought my car. He keeps some stuff but the case I am looking for he put on his car. He only ordered one to see what they were before he bought several. He can get me one but it maybe a couple of weeks and I was looking for something I could get my hands on now.

I have not tried to call power racing yet only emailed but my buddy says they are really helpful and that they are in the process of redoing there site so they may not be getting the emails. As for larrys not sure. They have a big list of parts but I ordered some stuff last Friday and they have not confirmed the order or sent me anything. When I goto the site and track the order it just says oder status new. When ordered it said ships within 1 to 3 business days. Also sent them a couple of emails about some parts I did not see listed and no answer. Oh Well guess I can run without it but if anyone has another source I would like to know it.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default XR80

If you need some set-up tips for the chassis, let me know, as I have owned my XR-8 for a couple of years now, and have it dialed it pretty well.
I also have a huge amount of parts on hand if you need something.
I probably have enough parts to rebuild my car 3 or 4 times over with out ever calling PRP.
If you do need to call them, ask for Nora, she is very helpful.

brc
Old 08-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Tech Rookie

will do brc. main thing I was looking for at the moment is a receiver box. The open tray scares me. First day out something flew up and knocked my battery wire loose and the servo went wide open and the car hit the wall head on wide open. No battery means no steering no brake and me no like lol. Luckly it only broke the front bumper and one upper arm so the cars are pretty durable. Figured it toasted my engine but so far its running fine.

As for the setup any help would be appericated. There about like 5 of us that have them and only about 3 really running them so we have not got them dialed in at all. Mine is still like it came out of the box. It is a hand full at the moment. I am sure it can be made better. I will be putting better tires on it from stock want get the bugs worked out with the cheap tires though. We have been running what we call a cup car class http://www.rcracingent.com/ and they pretty much have no adjustments on the cars. So we really don't have anything to build on. Our other class is 1/4 scale and the pan cars have all dissappeared so this is a new beast for us.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:35 AM
Tech Elite

Default XR-80

Originally Posted by Devilhorse
will do brc. main thing I was looking for at the moment is a receiver box. The open tray scares me. First day out something flew up and knocked my battery wire loose and the servo went wide open and the car hit the wall head on wide open. No battery means no steering no brake and me no like lol. Luckly it only broke the front bumper and one upper arm so the cars are pretty durable. Figured it toasted my engine but so far its running fine.

As for the setup any help would be appericated. There about like 5 of us that have them and only about 3 really running them so we have not got them dialed in at all. Mine is still like it came out of the box. It is a hand full at the moment. I am sure it can be made better. I will be putting better tires on it from stock want get the bugs worked out with the cheap tires though. We have been running what we call a cup car class http://www.rcracingent.com/ and they pretty much have no adjustments on the cars. So we really don't have anything to build on. Our other class is 1/4 scale and the pan cars have all dissappeared so this is a new beast for us.
If you can pm me with your e-mail address, I will send you a very good starting point for your chassis set-up, and some great tips to make the car handle very good. brc
Old 08-10-2007, 08:54 AM
Tech Rookie

thanks a lot man. I sent the pm. I think these cars will be a blast once we get them figured out. As a mentioned first day on the track and they tied the track record and that was pushing 100 degree temp. outside. When it cools down and we get a setup under them I think the record will be broken.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Default XR-80

Devilhorse,
You should have the e-mail now with the chassis set-up you need.
Good luck with it, and let me know how it works out.

brc
Old 08-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Tech Rookie

THanks again man. I have a buddy thats got a high tech setup board that I gotta see if he will let me borrow and then I am gonna start twisting on it.