R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-17-2007, 05:56 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Switching from Pullstart to Starter Box

Hello,

I just want to know if switching from a pull start engine to a non-pull start is difficult, what I'm trying to say is, is it hard to use a starter box, does the starter box needed to be running/ turning before it hits the flywheel or when the flywheel hits the wheel on the starter box before it turns. My arm is getting tired from pulling that damn cord. Any tips on how to run a starter box.

I have a NTC3 and should I get a Associated Starter Box or any Universal Starter box will do?

Thanks
BeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:38 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcrevolution

most starter boxes allow you to line up the car and push down
there are little pegs that come in contact with metal which start up the starter box.

in most cases the hardest part of using a SB is lining up the car corectly
rcrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

The associated starter box comes out of the box ready to go for the NTC3, just add batteries and go. That's probably the most simple way to go.
meinie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:23 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBop
Hello,

I just want to know if switching from a pull start engine to a non-pull start is difficult, what I'm trying to say is, is it hard to use a starter box, does the starter box needed to be running/ turning before it hits the flywheel or when the flywheel hits the wheel on the starter box before it turns. My arm is getting tired from pulling that damn cord. Any tips on how to run a starter box.

I have a NTC3 and should I get a Associated Starter Box or any Universal Starter box will do?

Thanks
I went ahead and bought a SB that works with both 1/10 and 1/8 scale cars. Like most people, I started out 1/10 and recently moved up to 1/8 scale. I had pullstart on my first car and got blisters from yanking so I hated it. I would get universal one that does both to save $$ in the future.

-- Wario
wario69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:20 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Buying a starter box will be the best $ you've ever spent. I spent the last three years pulling ropes or using shaft starters before getting my ntc3 and a starter box. Not sure how I got along without one.The starter box needs to be adjusted so the wheel starts spinning before making contact with flywheel.
g_mabry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:35 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

thanks for the replies, now am I planning to get another car either a mugen mtx-4 or kyosho v-one rrr in the future and this car needs to be run on SB, now not sure what type of SB I have to get. The associated one which is a direct fit or get universal, the one thing I like about the universal SB is that you can get it with a power panel for hooking up glow starters. what you guys think, will it be difficult to allign a the ntc3 on the universal SB?
BeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:36 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Thumbs up

Starter box is the way to especially if you plan to race in the future.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:43 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBop
thanks for the replies, now am I planning to get another car either a mugen mtx-4 or kyosho v-one rrr in the future and this car needs to be run on SB, now not sure what type of SB I have to get. The associated one which is a direct fit or get universal, the one thing I like about the universal SB is that you can get it with a power panel for hooking up glow starters. what you guys think, will it be difficult to allign a the ntc3 on the universal SB?
you would need 2 starter boxes. Why? Because the flywheel alignment is not the same for each car. The Rubber wheel needs to line up with the flywheel to turn the motor over.